Is U.K. wild camping a blokey thing?

My partner and I have only wilded in the UK, never been on a campsite. Aires and wilding in France, but a campsite once last year and once this to attend a French motorhomers' association rally.

I did try it there but had got used to the other one, also has search in it.
And you missed out a fee night at doe castle, no one for miles or care about campers, coffee van there in the morning on open days.
car park 1.png

I would think about getting a taster to sample the dinner before you eat it, i have a russian mate. 😂
Yeah, I used to get those pop-ups too, glad you found one you liked Trev, some of em were a bit rough though, I'm surprised that the wonderful Linux let them through though.

Ive come across quite a few women wild camping or at least parked up in motorhomes. Im still in North Devon and there is a lady on her own running about in an old Hymer. Not spoken to her yet but Ive come across and chatted with one or two in VWs etc while waiting for Michelle on one of her walks. I met two together in a campervan in Dorset mid summer who were very chatty and wanted to know about the scooter. Women seem to love the little Honda. Well obviously its me they really like I suppose. :love:

I have used wild camping spots quite often on my own, but generally in the UK I tend to be aiming for a meet/rally or booked site somewhere that is only a day's drive or less away, or I have been travelling with others. I've probably spent more nights wilding alone in France, Spain & Portugal when wandering about with no specific destination in mind other than the date of the ferry home. It's so much easier there with all the Aires clearly signposted in each town/village.
Actually, I am never on my own as I nearly always have my dog for company.

I‘m female and rarely use sites and have wild camped in my T5 for years mainly heading to the Highlands, Skye, Arran etc but often closer to home in Yorkshire. My friend has a T6 but they look almost identical and we often travel together, she also wild camps alone.

We’re currently in talks with our local council to develop a more campervan friendly car park, I might start a thread on this.

The last time I went to a campsite apart from meets was in Spain of all places.
I met up with some Spanish pals one of whom was a ‘tugger’, he set up a large telly outside his van in the evening to watch Man United play Barcelona.
To show how long ago this was, Rooney scored the first goal!.
When this happened one of the guys jumped up and started hugging me, I was told he’s a Real Madrid supporter.

This thread started as a question.
Is wild camping a blokey thing?

While some of us, well me anyway, have an understanding, none camping spouse. Many of the single blokes in vans, wild camping, are separated or divorced. Needing to live somewhere cheaply, while still supporting their ex and children. Some maybe rogues, but others are just the product of a failed marriage. One wage will not pay for two homes, especially at today’s rental prices.
So, have a bit of sympathy for blokes, just trying to get by.

Here endeth the thought for today. Amen

This thread started as a question.
Is wild camping a blokey thing?

While some of us, well me anyway, have an understanding, none camping spouse. Many of the single blokes in vans, wild camping, are separated or divorced. Needing to live somewhere cheaply, while still supporting their ex and children. Some maybe rogues, but others are just the product of a failed marriage. One wage will not pay for two homes, especially at today’s rental prices.
So, have a bit of sympathy for blokes, just trying to get by.

Here endeth the thought for today. Amen
Many men move to ireland because they cannot chase you up to pay for ex wife or anything else.

There is me also.
I use a mixture of sites and free stops ( as I call them) in the Uk, and aires abroad, I have never had much trouble, I think I am too old and too poor to attract attention.
Worst case:
UK: a young man giving himself " relief" in the open, in a car park early one morning. I had a fine view.
France: did not realise the large shed nearby was a night club. 2.00am fight broke out against my van . I was literally rocking.
10 years of happy solo travelling.

Not quite a blokey thing, I’ve met quite a few women out on the road.
I hate campsites, I want to throw my big side door open in the morning on to some wonder of nature, not a line of vans, a hedge, a toilet block or even worse a cassette dump!. Also I’ve found people who inhabit campsites to be a bitchy lot who polish their vans & condemn wild camping.
A motley crew the guys who live on the road, quite a few ageing hippies but a great bunch of people & very interesting vehicles like old army trucks, converted lorries etc., for some reason most wouldn’t be seen dead on a forum like this.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back