is this legal

Wanderlust

We are near new Milton and this sign has appeared in one of our wild camping spots. LR Downton (b3058) Hampshire, but it doesn't say who installed the sign or if there is a penalty ?

Attachments

• WP_20151130_15_43_49_Pro.jpg
    WP_20151130_15_43_49_Pro.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 366
No overnight paking sign.

I have had a look on streetmap & there appears to be a Holiday park close by. I suspect that the sign has some connection to the owners of site.

Agree it's not legal but personnelly I have not overnighted in any spot with same / similiar signage as its obvious you are not wellcome. I just move on to another spot.
So pleased I spend most of my time wilding in Scotland where there are very few restrictions and poi's in abundance.

As a general rule you can be pretty sure that any sign which simply says "no overnight parking" or "no sleeping" or "no overnight camping" has no backing in law - for the simple reason that there is no legal definition of "overnight". A legal sign will refer to specific times and specific categories of vehicle - as well as having reference to the TRO or by-law that supports it.

However, as Obanboy says, I have no wish to park where there may be angry locals who might cause damage to my motorhome.

As always, I fully, completely agree with the above.

As a general rule, you must always give in to those who you think might bully you. Far better that you knuckle under than stand up for yourself. If the council say they don't want you to overnight there then you must do as they say. They have your best interests at heart and the fact that they don't have any legal backing for such signs is irrelevant. The fact that they will not have subjected their signs to a public consultation is also irrelevant. The possibility that the signs have been erected at the request of a councillor who may own a campsite is also irrelevant. You have elected coucillors to look after your interests.

The council knows best. Don't make any of them angry. Who knows what they will do to you if you dare to disobey them?

Of course, on the other hand, if you do stand up to them you might get a letter like this:

b88cc1.jpg

But hey, who needs a letter like that. Maybe somebody else will stand up for you. Frogs and buckets.

The irony is the very same signs in the highlands were deemed illegal and the authorities supposedly took them down ..I too take no notice. pretty much for the reasons John H points out

Channa

Never cow down ,it starts with a few words and before long

Attachments

• hitler47.jpg
    hitler47.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 73
Like most I suspect, I have come across sign stating no camping, overnight parking or the like that appear to have no legal authority and rarely stop , not wanting to deal with any disgruntled locals. I do though wonder if `we` should question these with the local authority. I believe i read a thread where someone had written to the relevant borough requesting details of the signage and the bylaw etc pertaining to such, the sign were eventually removed. Was I dreaming this or can someone point me in the direction of the thread. Maybe a well drafted letter template could be placed on the site for members to use to request such legality of these signs? just a thought.

Like most I suspect, I have come across sign stating no camping, overnight parking or the like that appear to have no legal authority and rarely stop , not wanting to deal with any disgruntled locals. I do though wonder if `we` should question these with the local authority. I believe i read a thread where someone had written to the relevant borough requesting details of the signage and the bylaw etc pertaining to such, the sign were eventually removed. Was I dreaming this or can someone point me in the direction of the thread. Maybe a well drafted letter template could be placed on the site for members to use to request such legality of these signs? just a thought.

Why Derathe ? I know they are illegal you do and anyone with half a brain can soon discover the facts..So carry on why stick heads above parapets when their is no need. Remember one significant outcome is the councils can respond by introducing proper tro's

Channa

Why Derathe ? I know they are illegal you do and anyone with half a brain can soon discover the facts..So carry on why stick heads above parapets when their is no need. Remember one significant outcome is the councils can respond by introducing proper tro's

Channa

Why? because we all like to wild camp , so surely it makes some sense to defend that option, rather than allow anyone who takes umbridge to a van parked overnight in `there` spot

As always, I fully, completely agree with the above.

As a general rule, you must always give in to those who you think might bully you. Far better that you knuckle under than stand up for yourself. If the council say they don't want you to overnight there then you must do as they say. They have your best interests at heart and the fact that they don't have any legal backing for such signs is irrelevant. The fact that they will not have subjected their signs to a public consultation is also irrelevant. The possibility that the signs have been erected at the request of a councillor who may own a campsite is also irrelevant. You have elected coucillors to look after your interests.

The council knows best. Don't make any of them angry. Who knows what they will do to you if you dare to disobey them?

Of course, on the other hand, if you do stand up to them you might get a letter like this:

b88cc1.jpg

But hey, who needs a letter like that. Maybe somebody else will stand up for you. Frogs and buckets.

The same usual old rubbish, I see. If I choose not to park somewhere it is certainly not going to benefit the local campsite owner! Also, I have simply stated my view; I have no problem with others who choose to stay where a local councillor (or anybody else) might not want them to - that is entirely up to them. Also, I support all those who question any rules and have done my bit to encourage local authorities to re-examine their attitudes. But I ain't gonna put my motorhome at risk if I judge that there might be a risk. You may have less consideration for your vehicle - that is up to you.

We are near new Milton and this sign has appeared in one of our wild camping spots. LR Downton (b3058) Hampshire, but it doesn't say who installed the sign or if there is a penalty ?

I'll have. To come there and reverse over it Woops!!
That step of mine is metal and mighty hard to judge 🇬🇧

Signs without legal backing have been removed by several councils. I've been involved in only one of them but there have been a few. Active campaigners have stopped bye-laws being enacted - I've been involved in three of those but I know there have been more. Active campaigners have blocked TRO amendments and have forced changes to TROs.

You shouldn't call the signs unlawful because that disturbs some. The councils call them "signs erected outisde a legal framework" - I'll carry on calling them unlawful. I can't see the difference.

Search "Scarborough" in this website and you'll find a wealth of discussion.

The same usual old rubbish, I see. If I choose not to park somewhere it is certainly not going to benefit the local campsite owner! Also, I have simply stated my view; I have no problem with others who choose to stay where a local councillor (or anybody else) might not want them to - that is entirely up to them. Also, I support all those who question any rules and have done my bit to encourage local authorities to re-examine their attitudes. But I ain't gonna put my motorhome at risk if I judge that there might be a risk. You may have less consideration for your vehicle - that is up to you.

Not the same old rubbish. Totally new rubbish; I'm agreeing with you - do what the council tells you.

Why? because we all like to wild camp , so surely it makes some sense to defend that option, rather than allow anyone who takes umbridge to a van parked overnight in `there` spot

And the defence John is straightforward. Why rock the boat ? some people will move on through lack of knowledge or spine..so would a council in the main not think this is working ? AND avoid the cost of TRO's.?

Sometimes the best way of tackling your foes is keeping your mouth shut.

as for angry residents, I have experienced it once and that ended up a story too it suffice to say bloke was ok in the end ...problem was down to a wilder acting irresponsibly with black and refuse

Channa

In my opinion, why pull the tigers tail? If you don't annoy it, it may leave you alone.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back