Is this a new requirement for mot.

Topmast

I recently took my van in for mot.luckily it passed but with an advisory that the engine must be cleaned before next test. Speaking to some other people one had a failure because the inside of their car was covered in dog hair and someone else got a pass but was told to clean inside before next test.Is this a new requirement or is the local test station taking the proverbial!. Having said that with a 28 year old van I was still pleased.

All veh here must be clean inside including the engine bay, underneath must be steam cleaned, many give off about this as it removes any waxol and sometimes chunks of underseal.
Mind you I have seen some cars go through that were so dirty and stinking it would make you sick, farmers cars are disgusting at times.
If the tester sees fit he will turn them down, and rightly so.

Who the hell cleans the engine? Ive had my latest car which is now coming up 13 years old 5 years and I dont think Ive lifted the bonnet, ever. :D

Sounds like nonsense to me. The MOT doesnt cover the engine does it?
Thats just wrong, the engine is the heart and should be looked at every day loved cleaned, and cherished.
22 years old and still had a shine LOL.
sko eng a.jpg

Whether something is clean or not is a subjective judgement. The MOT must be based on objective pass or fail test criteria. Presumably an excessively dirty engine may be judged as a fire risk but could only be an "advisory" and nt a fail.

Can understand keeping engine clean on a loved classic, but on daily driver, no chance.

MOT testers don’t like dirty cars, it simply makes their life harder, when I ran a garage the tester used to look for reasons to fail dirty cars but unless it was so filthy that he couldn’t see stuff he had no reason to do so, which just wound him up.

There is a Youtube channel called 'Customer states' which is entertaining, funny and sometimes shocking but I enjoy watching them. Here is a compilation episode, I wonder what an MOT tester would think of some of these examples. :ROFLMAO:

I recently took my van in for mot.luckily it passed but with an advisory that the engine must be cleaned before next test. Speaking to some other people one had a failure because the inside of their car was covered in dog hair and someone else got a pass but was told to clean inside before next test.Is this a new requirement or is the local test station taking the proverbial!. Having said that with a 28 year old van I was still pleased.
I thought the MOT was purely a safety check, not a cleanliness check. Take your vehicle to another MOT station next time.

A lady at my wife's old workplace came to her and said my oil light keeps flashing and I can't get any more oil into it would you have a look,
yep she was trying to put oil in the brake master cyl pot, ended up at my workshop for a full brake rebuild.

Do you know that a dog must be behind a dog safety cage by law and not in the cab or any seating area open to the driver.
Not true in mainland UK. Since 2017, it's been unlawful to carry unrestrained pets in your vehicle (punishable by a fine of up to £2,500). However, securing the animal in a harness attached to a seat belt or isofix complies with this requirement. At a push, even tying your dog's lead to a rear headrest complies with the letter of the law.

If the vehicle is presented clean and tidy it presents an image of being well kept and cared for. So if two cars are side by side with identical, borderline issue the dirty car will get an advisory and the clean car would not. Because the assumption would be the clean car’s owner will attend to it in their level of care where the dirty car’s owner will ignore it.
My dad ( MOT tester back in his day ) taught me “if you ever clean your car make sure its on the day before the MOT.”
My cars have always enjoyed their annual spruce up lol

Not true in mainland UK. Since 2017, it's been unlawful to carry unrestrained pets in your vehicle (punishable by a fine of up to £2,500). However, securing the animal in a harness attached to a seat belt or isofix complies with this requirement. At a push, even tying your dog's lead to a rear headrest complies with the letter of the law.

Will you please explain that to my numb nut borther-in-law whos bloody great Labradoodle jumps about all over the car, side to side and front and back whenever it sees other dogs outside whilst being taken anywhere o_O

He refuses to put the stupid mutt on a lead because " she doesn`t like it " as he says and is already banned from several parks.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back