Iom tt 2015

We are going, so sod the camper van! we gonna bike and tent it in a friends garden!

And first time for me,,, Biker and Scouser an all, spent my youth down the Pier head watching all the bikes

boarding the ferry (Steam Racket) swinging me legs on a wall, lol.

Hi
Wondering how much the Steam Racket Company is charging for the 2015 ferry. I have a 7 metre MH + bike rack or trailer. I,ve been to the TT a few times including the Ago versus Hailwood and Hailwood comeback years but I,ve never been to the Manx. I presume I,ll need a mortgage for the fare.
Tompa.

Just had the bill through.... Total...£446, thats the MH, 1 passenger and 2 dogs for 18 days.. starting the 29/5

Last edited:
I'm going, just paid up my balance. I'm staying at Glen Wyllin, at Kirk Michael. I think it was £95 for 10 nights although not paid yet, pay on arrival. I'll be wild camping from the 13th to the 16th. I'll be camping with Bike Tours UK run by my friend, taking motorbike and bicycle in my van (hopefully!) and probably peoples luggage and tents!

We used to stay at Glenlough Farm campsite, that was good, I've not been to the Glen Wyllin one but my friend assures me its great, BBQ's on the beach! I've not been to the TT for 3 years so really looking forward to it.

I'm sailing out on the 3rd very early in the morning, and back on the 16th in the evening. My friends head back on the 13th so if anyone is staying on until the 16th it would be nice to meet up :)

My bill was £360 I think, 5.5m van with 1 person. I thought that was reasonable considering a bike and rider ticket it over £250 now I think and I have my accommodation with me :)

length

For 7m M/h you have phone the steam packet, my friend as the same problem. I book mine( 5.5m) has a 6.5M max online,at £279 for TT and same for Manx. The 1m is for my bike rack once converted from a trailer saving £110 for a trailer.

My friend lives in IOM and says never book longer ferry they never look he booked me over a few times. just my experience.:boat: ooops longer mh not longer ferry

Last edited:
Ramsey is the place to stay just park up on the seafront on the Mooragh Park you go to the town hall for a permit I think it's £12 for the year and you are done easy access to town centre and pubs and the course you will just need to move for the Ramsey Sprint on the 9th June, come and say Hi we run the sprint and are in the compound at the top end of the park ,,Trev

we used to park on the Mooragh Park but have not bothered with it for the last three years when we stay in Ramsey we just park on the road at the harbor end of the Mooragh prom near the Swimming baths no restrictions use the showers in the swimming baths couple of pounds including towels , just a short walk over the harbor bridge in to town for pubs takeaways and to watch the races from sorted , and on roads closed you can get round to Rhencullen or near Kirk Michael or in the other direction to Douglas all the south of the Island and round to Kirk Michael , just the bit from Douglas road corner to Rhencullen stopping a full circle , and you will not be on your own plenty of others stay there for the full two weeks

Its my 1st time on the IOM, so all new to me, I wasnt sure whether to go on a campsite and be stuck there for the duration or WC and move about, my preference was sulby claddagh with a permit, Ramsey or Douglas sounds good, not taking monkey as there two of us, so pedal power it is... been reading all the helpful hints n tip on where to Park, so shall try and enter the locations into the sat nav.. hope to bump into a few of you over a beer or 3..lol Im there from the 29/5 to 16/6

There are plenty of places to wild camp we have been going in the Bugilow for 5 years now for the TT and Manx and have wilded all the time , a great place the Sulby Claddagh's and the Mooragh park being the only sites we used both only needing a permit , and you can get the van to some of the places you can watch from and that can be handy when we get delays , somewhere to sit in comfort and have a bru , spot on you will have a great time I am sure

When we go we go for three weeks that way we go out of TT period when the ferry is half the price , traveling on or before the Wednesday the week before practice and come back after the Wednesday the week after it finishes big saving for a tight Yorkshire Lad and Lass like us

Last edited by a moderator:
Mooragh Park, Ramsey, That’s me the Hymer on the left just after G4 security car, this year out from Heysham 27th May down to Billown first for the Southern 100 then up to Ramsey for TT practise return 17th June, toilet emptying and drinking water at the far end, two toilet blocks in the park, showers for £2.00 at the swimming baths, easy walk into town.On the back I carry a Gilera 180cc 2 stroke fastest lap average 45mph also done the Ramsey Sprint at 58mph.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=481js4zq37c#t=12

Last edited:
I'm going for my 1st ever visit at 60yrs old

I am going race week but on my bike, staying as guests at a house my pal has used before (paying a self catering fee to a charity of their choice)

It is something I have 'always' wanted to experience so doing this in 2015 instead of another Alps trip

PS. rider and bike is around £250 payable in January :sad:

The only ferries with height and length problems are the fast ferries. If you are using the Ben my Cree then there is no problem.
The last couple of times I have stayed at the kirk Michael football ground. £6 a night per person part of that gives you membership to the social club (cheap beer) and you have full use of the showers and toilets. Two minute walk into kirkmichael. the Mitre pub does good food and a great place to watch with the W.I. Doing teas and cakes up at the park at the top of the village.
If you are out late just remember to take a torch as they switch of the street lights around the island after 11 or 12.
Enjoy it ...
Just a word on the ferry tickets. We went to the Southern 100 last year and went on the bike as we had sold the camper and waiting on the new one geting delivered. Bike +2 £245 out of interest I check the price for the camper £175.
Go figure that one?

Last edited:
Well thats me Booked and paid for.... 29/5 16/6 only snag, is the missus has to come back a tad earlier due to work commitments, I cannot get an earlier booking until a certain date and then there may not be a space, nor can she come back as a foot passenger early either :(... work its a pain in the backside.. glad Im self employed.. So hopefully may bump into some of you.. just look out for the ol "S" (78 not 99 "S") plate merc 540.. happy times and cant wait...

Well thats me Booked and paid for.... 29/5 16/6 only snag, is the missus has to come back a tad earlier due to work commitments, I cannot get an earlier booking until a certain date and then there may not be a space, nor can she come back as a foot passenger early either :(... work its a pain in the backside.. glad Im self employed.. So hopefully may bump into some of you.. just look out for the ol "S" (78 not 99 "S") plate merc 540.. happy times and cant wait...

Me to all booked in got a site called silly moos .. looks ok we shall see... will keep an eye out for you .... :scooter:

You can try the standbye queue, Ive done it several times. has long has there are not too many vehicles trying to do the same, they try and get you on, just try to be the first in the standbye queue.

No one as to stay longer than they need/want to , like I've said try going to the ferry terminal and ask to go on the standbye queue.

Last edited:
I said it before about the IOM ferry the catamaran is difficult thing to get on with a long vehicle especially if you have 200kgs hanging on the back by its fingernails, there will be a lot of scraping noises from the back end if it is low tide.

You can try the standbye que, Ive done it several times. has long has there are not too many vehicles trying to do the same, they try and get you on, just try to be the first in the standbye que.

No one as to stay longer than they need/want to , like I've said try going to the ferry terminal and ask to go on the standbye que

I'll be in the standby que to get back earlier unless I manage to change my ticket on the 28th Feb! I've never done it but have heard of lots of people doing it and getting on with no probs!

You can try the standbye queue, Ive done it several times. has long has there are not too many vehicles trying to do the same, they try and get you on, just try to be the first in the standbye queue.

No one as to stay longer than they need/want to , like I've said try going to the ferry terminal and ask to go on the standbye queue.

I'm staying till the 16th in hymer, but my otherhalf has to come back due to work commitments, but If I manage to get the dates brought forward over the phone so be it, other than that standby que it is then... its more for her than me... WORK! dont you just love it!!!!

Cat from liverpool

The Cat Mananan is having a mezzanine floor put in so it can carry more bikes to the TT so no high vans on her now im afraid
We are staying in Ramsey on the park as usual in the fenced of area so pop by and say Hi we run the Ramsey sprint at the TT and the Manx ,,,Trevor

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back