Inverters & Solar Panels

David & Ann

As I only wild camp, I am getting too old to hump my generator up and down from my box bolted to the back of the MH. I have one 100A liesure battery which is charged by a solar panel on the roof. I run a 65W / 240v colour TV from a hook up of the Generator. I always charge up my Mobile and video camera when I run my TV from the hook up. This works brilliantly. I need to get rid of the Generator. Question is:- What size Inverter would I need to run my TV and charge my phone and camera at the same time. And is my solar panel good enough to do the job. Would you advise I get a second liesure battery to avoid not having sufficent power for other items on board. HELP!!!

David & Ann said:
As I only wild camp, I am getting too old to hump my generator up and down from my box bolted to the back of the MH. I have one 100A liesure battery which is charged by a solar panel on the roof. I run a 65W / 240v colour TV from a hook up of the Generator. I always charge up my Mobile and video camera when I run my TV from the hook up. This works brilliantly. I need to get rid of the Generator. Question is:- What size Inverter would I need to run my TV and charge my phone and camera at the same time. And is my solar panel good enough to do the job. Would you advise I get a second liesure battery to avoid not having sufficent power for other items on board. HELP!!!

Hi david & ann,
my advise would be to buy the biggest inverter you can afford, within reason unless you plan on taking your washing machine or hoover ect, as it will only drain as much power as you require of it.
the advantage of a large inverter is two fold.
you will always have an excess of power available if needed and it will also run a lot cooler.
I run a 500w inverter but my tv is only 38w(3 amp) which means i can also run my laptop 75w(6 amp),portable sat reciever(? watts), phone charger(20millamp), camera charger(50millamp)both neglegable watts ect for around 10hours non stop.
it also allows me (independantly of coarse) to boil a 500w kettle if needed or a desk fan for a few hours.
as for the solar panel i have no idea but i think they are very expensive for a relatively low output to recharge the leisure battery.
i did find that my previous tv, a CRT tv, would not start on my inverter. i think the reason is at switch-on there is a huge power surge to the tube which the inverter could not supply hence the new LCD tv.
hope this helps,

john.

Last edited:
hi i just bought a 600w inverter from maplins £39.99. bargain does the job a treat, my genny now lives in the shed along with the juicer and bread maker lol.

mark.

the frenchman said:
hi i just bought a 600w inverter from maplins £39.99. bargain does the job a treat, my genny now lives in the shed along with the juicer and bread maker lol.

mark.

Hi mark.
that sounds like a real bargain, mine was from halfords(500w) on 1/2price offer at £40 18months ago :D

john.

bargains galore

pappajohn said:
Hi mark.
that sounds like a real bargain, mine was from halfords(500w) on 1/2price offer at £40 18months ago :D

john.
that is a really good bargain....:p

Solar panel & Inverters

Thanks a lot folks for your advice. I am a bit of a dummy, so just to get it clear in my brain box, if I get an Inverter 600w & upwards, could I use my telly for 3 hours in the evening and by the following evening (24 hrs later) my battery will be fully charged by my solar panel for the next TV viewing. I don't know the wattage of the solar panel, it is 30 inches long and 16 inches wide. Also, would it be a good idea to hook up a second liesure battery. Also, is the engine starter battery hooked up with the liesure battery in all Campers, meaning when you are driving the alternator charges the starter battery and the liesure battery. Appreciate your advice guys. Thanks.

David & Ann said:
Thanks a lot folks for your advice. I am a bit of a dummy, so just to get it clear in my brain box, if I get an Inverter 600w & upwards, could I use my telly for 3 hours in the evening and by the following evening (24 hrs later) my battery will be fully charged by my solar panel for the next TV viewing. I don't know the wattage of the solar panel, it is 30 inches long and 16 inches wide. Also, would it be a good idea to hook up a second liesure battery. Also, is the engine starter battery hooked up with the liesure battery in all Campers, meaning when you are driving the alternator charges the starter battery and the liesure battery. Appreciate your advice guys. Thanks.

Hi D & A,

Those dimensions of the solar panel seem to indicate that it might be man enough for the job.

I have a 60 watt solar panel and two 100 amh leisure batteries that are connected with the engine battery by a Van Bitz battery master. This keeps all three batteries charged by the solar panel when not on the move.

I have a 150 watt inverter but I don't have a TV. I have a laptop, mobile phones (2), camera batteries and electric razor to keep charged.

If you have a 600 watt inverter I would suggest you need at least a 85 or 100 watt solar panel. I think with your present set up you will be hard pushed to run the TV for three and expect the battery to be fully charged next day.
I would suggest you also need a second leisure battery.

Have fun.

Don

Don Madge said:
Hi D & A,

Those dimensions of the solar panel seem to indicate that it might be man enough for the job.

I have a 60 watt solar panel and two 100 amh leisure batteries that are connected with the engine battery by a Van Bitz battery master. This keeps all three batteries charged by the solar panel when not on the move.

I have a 150 watt inverter but I don't have a TV. I have a laptop, mobile phones (2), camera batteries and electric razor to keep charged.

If you have a 600 watt inverter I would suggest you need at least a 85 or 100 watt solar panel. I think with your present set up you will be hard pushed to run the TV for three and expect the battery to be fully charged next day.
I would suggest you also need a second leisure battery.

Have fun.

Don
Hi Don, I see you are back from Spain. I left in April and just got back. Over the Pyrennes and along the Spainish coastline all the way to Portugal. Done a U turn and back into Spain before heading home through France to Calais.
Thanks for the advice and also the other lads who were very helpful. Off to Germany last week in August. It is a nice day in Cornwall today, sunny at 21 degrees but I am not holding my breath. Expecting rain later this evening.

Leisure Battery

It has been said before that when hooking a second leisure battery it should be as close as possible to the first one. The closest I can get to hooking up the wiring is 1.2 metres. Will that be okay or will it effect performance. I have now got a 600 watt power inverter with an on/off switch. I want to set it up permenantly with the crocadile clips to + & - The only place is about 4.5 metres from the battery. Will that be a problem? Appreciate all your advice, thanks, David

the frenchman said:

mark.
maplins and it works !!!!!i work for said company in the returns dept you must have been lucky keep the genny dust free lol joking apart ? they are good value but we do get a lot of solar panels back

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back