Inverter advice please!

OP said - "--
A couple of posts have mentioned lumps and bumps on the voltage supplied from the battery. Where do these lumps and bumps come from???

I mentioned the "lumps and bumps" and used that for want of a better term. By that I meant that no battery is going to put out a steady current completely free of peaks and troughs.
My understanding of LCD TVs is that they are fairly sensitive to receiving a steady power supply.

Hi there

60 Watts, I have tested TV power usage on many TV's, they never seem to use their full rating even if you switch everything up to max (volume brightness etc)

Batteries are NOT 12volt, they are 12v Nominal voltage, the reality is that if the voltage from your battery shows at 12volt it is a flat battery (way below what you should ever ler it reach)

14.4 Volts is 20% higher than the voltage required by a 12v TV, having said that I do not believe it is a problem, in all the years this as been discussed, not one person as had 1st hand experience of a problem.

Personally I use an invertor.

Lumps and bumps, with an alternator there can be some good spikes, on charger it can be running at up to 15 volts.

BTW current or ampage is drawn as required, its not its not pushed or put out by the battery

Blimey!

:eek: Didn't realise what I was starting when I asked this question!
I have tried a 15" Hitachi with Freeview and DVD but it would not work off the battery.
I will get a large whiskey and go through all these replies again!
Thanks for all your help
Regards to you all.:confused:

Hi there

60 Watts, I have tested TV power usage on many TV's, they never seem to use their full rating even if you switch everything up to max (volume brightness etc)

Batteries are NOT 12volt, they are 12v Nominal voltage, the reality is that if the voltage from your battery shows at 12volt it is a flat battery (way below what you should ever ler it reach)

14.4 Volts is 20% higher than the voltage required by a 12v TV, having said that I do not believe it is a problem, in all the years this as been discussed, not one person as had 1st hand experience of a problem.

Personally I use an invertor.

Lumps and bumps, with an alternator there can be some good spikes, on charger it can be running at up to 15 volts.

BTW current or ampage is drawn as required, its not its not pushed or put out by the battery

Hi, I used my first flat screen permenantly on 12 volts, even when on hook up (too idle to change plugs over) and so it would have had various voltages over it's life. The back lights failed on this one. you could hear the sound and just see the picture.

Since getting a replacement I have used it on 240 when on hook up and when I use it on 12 volts I will make sure that the voltage has settled down after running the engine before switching on - since then - no probs.

Stig

:eek: Didn't realise what I was starting when I asked this question!
I have tried a 15" Hitachi with Freeview and DVD but it would not work off the battery.
I will get a large whiskey and go through all these replies again!
Thanks for all your help
Regards to you all.:confused:

maplins are doing 600watt inverter at the moment for 29.99

maplins are doing 600watt inverter at the moment for 29.99

I'd bet it is not a pure sinewave inverter. At that price it could even be one of those with no input-output isolation either.

Fitted with a plug to go into the cigarette lighter as well??

Invertor

No it actually quite good, its on half price offer, sine and a proper plug Lol :)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back