Internet Solutions for your Motorhome

Admin

Administrator
The team over at Solwise have made a superb video on Internet Solutions for your Motorhome.

For those who don't know, we have a 10% discount code for any purchases from Solwise on our discounts page.

I got my new Internet setup from them, and it is the best I have ever used! I will be releasing a video about it soon and if you want to see the kit I am using you can click on the link below.

Solwise also has a dedicated Mobile Internet page:

Anyway, grab a cup of tea and educate yourself by watching this video.

Don't forget to drop a comment and like the video as Solwise does support our members.

I usually buy kit from them as they are close by to pick up if I am at the house. Been using them a while now 👍

I was going to say Phil's kit is a lot of money but then I remembered how much people spent on satellite internet ten years ago. Eye watering.

I can remember around that time and before riding around on the scooter in France with the Repeat IT usb antenna and a laptop over me shoulder trying to find a FON signal. 🤣

I was going to say Phil's kit is a lot of money but then I remembered how much people spent on satellite internet ten years ago. Eye watering.

I can remember around that time and before riding around on the scooter in France with the Repeat IT usb antenna and a laptop over me shoulder trying to find a FON signal. 🤣
The internet is the way forward Barry, satellite dishes are old technology now, and with the cost of maintaining and replacing satellites I reckon they are heading towards obsolescence.
I am having a 5G Motorhome Wi-Fi system installed by the dealer to the new van, and after some thought an aerial also. That way if I get a good tv signal but poor Wi-Fi or vice verser I will still get the tv. I did consider Wi-Fi only but I have been to locations were even with an antenna the Wi-Fi signal is poor, but the tv signal is fine. Eventually I reckon tv aerials will follow satellite into obsolescence and all tv will be online.
Motorhome Wi-Fi are not a manufacturer they simply use equipment available elsewhere and rebrand it. You can buy what they sell for less if you buy the same equipment without their logo. But the dealer is fitting the system for £100 less than it costs to buy (£550) so it’s a no brainier, and I don’t fancy drilling holes in the roof of a brand new van.

One thing to be aware of is "5G Ready" systems; these systems have a 5G antenna but the router is only 4G.
Ours is a 5G now system with a 5G antenna, and a 5G router.
But that’s a good point, I think this term 5G ready is misleading.
Motorhome wifI have 5G ready systems, and the dealer was going to fit one.
But I pointed out that the order stated a 5G Wi-Fi system, not one that could not produce 5G. Hence why they are having to fit a system costing £650 to buy for £550.

Ours is a 5G now system with a 5G antenna, and a 5G router.
But that’s a good point, I think this term 5G ready is misleading.
Motorhome wifI have 5G ready systems, and the dealer was going to fit one.
But I pointed out that the order stated a 5G Wi-Fi system, not one that could not produce 5G. Hence why they are having to fit a system costing £650 for £550.
This is one of the reasons that I recommend Solwise, as they give superb advice and won't sell someone something they don't need. They also give help with setting up and excellent aftersales service.

This is one of the reasons that I recommend Solwise, as they give superb advice and won't sell someone something they don't need. They also give help with setting up and excellent aftersales service.
People need to do their homework when buying these systems. I see no point in buying a new Wi-Fi system based on 4G. Also 5G systems enhance 4G giving better signal strength using 4G than a 4G system when 5G is not available. Within the next 2-3 years 5G will cover a much larger area than it does currently. And the price difference is only around £150-200.

Unfortunately the dealer only uses Motorhome Wi-Fi equipment, they do have a good reputation, but I am sure the same will apply to Solwise.

5G routers are very expensive still currently. I use a full 5G system in the house with a wireless mesh but for the time being will continue using my 4G Teltonika router and puck antenna although it’s a 5G capable SIM for when I do drop on a bargain 👍

I bought a WiFi repeater from them 10 yrs back, still going. As barryd said, looking for the FON signal was interesting 🤔.

I can remember having a bit of a competition with Addie from Motorhomewifi as regards who could get the furthest WiFi connection. I think I managed about five or six miles 5000ft up in the French Alps but he went and blew that out of the water across the Bristol channel. He even mapped out where it was coming from I think.

I had my original Repeat IT antenna on the top of the rear ladder and it lit up when it was on underneath. Back in 2010 it was always a bit if a talking point on the Aires. Nobody knew what it was.

5G routers are very expensive still currently. I use a full 5G system in the house with a wireless mesh but for the time being will continue using my 4G Teltonika router and puck antenna although it’s a 5G capable SIM for when I do drop on a bargain 👍
I don’t know what you think is expensive but this one is the one Motorhome Wi-Fi use, and I will be having installed in the new van. It comes highly recommended. Also used ones are available from £169 on eBay.

I hope this helps.

The Teltonika RUTX50 with the Poynting 7 in 1 antenna that I have uses four external MIMO (multi-in-multi-out) antennas to give the best possible connection. This allows the router to open multiple channels to the cell site to increase the data bandwidth (download speed).
It also has two external WiFi antennas so that your Internet is available outside the van and around the campsite.

Hi, this is probably another silly one from me, but, we were gifted a mifi box from a dear friend here plus an aerial which has worked all over the UK and on our travels in Europe, if we were to buy it there would still be a lot change from £100. But maybe that's just me, but unless you are running a business or working from home, why on earth would you need to spend so much for the same stuff? As I said, just daft old me

Does this not do the same thing, we are being told from talktalk that wifi wired ends here in about 8 weeks as they install cable free, dont know how that will work as i have just installed new brass boxes all around the house and dont want to change, all cables come in at gable end through the loft roof and hidden in pipes before droping down in a kitchen cupboard and going below floors to sockets.
So thinking of going the sim router way whch can be also used away in the van, im all befuddled.

I bought a WiFi repeater from them 10 yrs back, still going. As barryd said, looking for the FON signal was interesting 🤔.
I had a problem with their basic equipment maybe 10+ years ago . They never did get back to me !
Always been recommended on here so I think that was unusual.
But that video is really bad

I don’t know what you think is expensive but this one is the one Motorhome Wi-Fi use, and I will be having installed in the new van. It comes highly recommended. Also used ones are available from £169 on eBay.

I hope this helps.

I have seen a few cheap options on eBay and Amazon but no known brands. I will wait until something I know gets cheaper or I drop on another second hand router

i bought the full motorhome wi fi package about 14 years ago never could get it to work but fair dos to addie he tested the equipment we agreed it was operator error & he gave me a full refund, for the last 7 years i have used an huawei cube with alexa fitted gives a good signal even to neighbouring vans still working though i have lost the admin log in to alter connections manually & have to wait a while for it to reset but i would buy another in a heartbeat has worked all over with strong signal even when phone signal is not working,

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back