Internet connection with laptop and phone

PaulC

Hi

I'm sure I've read on this site that it is possible to connect to the internet via a mobile phone and laptop. How is this done, I don't want a USB vodafone modem, because I will be using it infrequently, Wi-Fi will be the more normal method. However there will be times when WI-FI will not be an option. Any idea what Pay as You Talk phone will be upto the job? I've read several articles but remain confused. as they do seem to address this problem specifically.

regards

There are two aspects to this question, both of which assume that the phone is capable of being used as a modem in the first place (shop staff should be able to tell you):
1) the connection between the laptop/PDA and the mobile phone
2) the connection between the mobile phone and the Internet.

The first can be achieved by data cable, Bluetooth or infra red depending on the capabilities of the laptop/PDA and phone. Bluetooth is easiest in my experience.

The second can be using dial-in or GPRS - again it depends on the capabilities of the phone. GPRS is faster but the phones are more expensive and setting up the scripts can be a bit messy. Vodafone techies (eventually) sorted out the script for me - their call centre is set up to advise contract customers rather than PAYT customers and there are one or two differences. There are a number of computing/mobile phone forums on the web where specific advice can be gained.

Vodafone and T-Mobile currently have deals where the cost of access via GPRS is capped at £1 a day but I think the small print says that access is supposed to be from the phone itself rather than by using the phone as a modem (though I don't know how they could tell).

Graham

Thanks for the reply, as I suspected a visit to a shop may hold the answer, but best to go armed with some knowledge.

PaulC said:
Thanks for the reply, as I suspected a visit to a shop may hold the answer, but best to go armed with some knowledge.

That COULD turn out pretty expensive, going to the shop that is. Far better to look on ebay for Cables, USB Bluetooth adaptor (i've just bought one) etc. IMHO.

JohnSandyWhite said:
That COULD turn out pretty expensive, going to the shop that is. Far better to look on ebay for Cables, USB Bluetooth adaptor (i've just bought one) etc. IMHO.
Better still - go to the shop for advice and then buy the bits more cheaply elsewhere :)

Graham

PaulC said:
Hi

I'm sure I've read on this site that it is possible to connect to the internet via a mobile phone and laptop. How is this done, I don't want a USB vodafone modem, because I will be using it infrequently, Wi-Fi will be the more normal method. However there will be times when WI-FI will not be an option. Any idea what Pay as You Talk phone will be upto the job? I've read several articles but remain confused. as they do seem to address this problem specifically.

regards
I use a motorola razor pay as you go it came with software and usb cable
you just plug the phone in and away you go I find it safer than wifi/bluetooth to many people trying to access these connections now at your expense
calls may be a bit dearer but you just have to be sensible suits me as an
limited user am on it now

merlin wanderer said:
I use a motorola razor pay as you go it came with software and usb cable
you just plug the phone in and away you go I find it safer than wifi/bluetooth to many people trying to access these connections now at your expense
calls may be a bit dearer but you just have to be sensible suits me as an
limited user am on it now

So how much per minute is this costing you ? Is there a difference in price between peak and off peak ? Plus which network ?
Sorry for a lot of questions, but i'm interested in accessing the net on my laptop this way when in my van.

Mobile connection

PaulC

Has your laptop got PCMCIA slots? If yes, there is such a beast as a PAYG 3G data card. I use this on my desktop PC and on my laptop when on the road. If there is no 3G signal it defaults to GPRS. Works a treat. Most of the major mobile networks shops can supply them and the set up is EZPZ.

Later...

http://www.3g.co.uk/3GForum/forumdisplay.php?f=303

Biker Jeff said:
So how much per minute is this costing you ? Is there a difference in price between peak and off peak ? Plus which network ?
Sorry for a lot of questions, but i'm interested in accessing the net on my laptop this way when in my van.

Hi Jeff
There are so many tarrifs with vodaphone
that's my supplier better to check with them
or any airtime you choose, I pay about a £1.00 for
10 mins as far as I can see I have'nt bothered
to get it it down as I only use it now and then
connecting just to download emails it never
bothers me but if I was browsing for a couple
of hours well! but having said that there's no rental
fee

merlin wanderer said:
Hi Jeff
There are so many tarrifs with vodaphone
that's my supplier better to check with them
or any airtime you choose, I pay about a £1.00 for
10 mins as far as I can see I have'nt bothered
to get it it down as I only use it now and then
connecting just to download emails it never
bothers me but if I was browsing for a couple
of hours well! but having said that there's no rental
fee
forgot to say my paygo phone is just a normal
phone with the usual tarrif for calls and texts
when you connect it to a pc it dials
through a vodaphone service no
hence the price change

internet connection withlaptop

I'll bear those points in mind to :if I can rememer the all !!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back