Internet access

If your right I stand corrected but Ive not heard of this and I go on a lot of forums. Can you perhaps send me a link to this seller on ebay as I cant find him?

Thanks
Barry

If your right I stand corrected but Ive not heard of this and I go on a lot of forums. Can you perhaps send me a link to this seller on ebay as I cant find him?

Thanks
Barry

This seems to be the link Barry

Vodafone Ireland SIM card with cheap data roaming in EU on eBay (end time 17-Aug-10 05:04:21 BST)

I went onto Vodafone.ie site and it says

If you’re using broadband abroad, you can buy a daily roaming add on for €12 per day, with a 50MB daily allowance. See where you can use the roaming broadband add on.

So at £9.99 with my contract Vodafone with the same limit seems better value.

John

Last edited by a moderator:
I couldnt work this out. The ebay shop is unreadable which puts me off. Is it a one off charge of 12e or every day. If its every day then its rubbish. Perhaps the OP can enlighten us if he is using it.

Like I said earlier if this were true and it was really just 99c per day then we would have heard about it.

Sorry to be sceptical but if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is

Vodafone Ireland prepay sim 99cents data sim on eBay (end time 25-Jul-10 20:14:04 BST)

I used it here in UK - what is abroad from Irelands point of view ;-) for €0.99/day/50MB.

from the seller: "As per feedback from many buyers who bought this SIM card this SIM card can be used for DATA roaming connection for 99cents/day in 65 countries in Europe !!"

If somebody is able to understand a bit german, go to this thread:

mit Surfstick ins Internet in ganz Europa - Wohnmobil & Wohnwagen Forum

regards

Stu

I still dont get it. If you look at the vodafone site it states its only available for contract holders not pay as you go. The german thread is confusing as well as they talk about a 12.99 fee. An the ebay link is confusing as well as it quotes

"Vodafone Mobile Internet is the same price when roaming abroad as at
home. The service will be accessible from any country where we have a
3G or GPRS roaming agreement."

Mind you, this is only for the live.vodafone.com APN, the isp.vodafone.ie APN has the expensive tariff when roaming.

If you want additional credit this can be topped-up at many outlets (almost every grocery shop, gas station and all the ATM machines) in the Irish Republic when you arrive or I can do this for you – just ask as there is no extra charge for this so If you want extra 10 EURO credit you just send me extra 10,80 EURO to my paypal account and let me know…."

So does this mean it can only be used for browsing vodafones site and it will cost more to use the rest of the internet. And the only way you can top it up is though this guy on the internet?

So just so its clear.

You buy the sim of ebay

you top it up with say a tenner of credit

You put it in your dongle and away you go 99 cents per day. No additional charges if you dont go over 50MB, no fees, you dont have to have a contract, its just 99c every time you connect for 24 hours? And if you dont use it for a month it costs nothing?

Sorry but its as clear as mud to me.

you might also want to check out the MiFi

Three - Mobile Broadband - MiFi

released in the US last year, reports on it seem pretty good. The box creates a mobile wireless network via which you can connect lots of devices, such as phones and laptops, to the internet at once. You can get them from 3G, argos, dixons etc. UK3 are also bringing out a similar product for Xmas. Again, the downside is its 3G and has its limits.

I still dont get it. If you look at the vodafone site it states its only available for contract holders not pay as you go. The german thread is confusing as well as they talk about a 12.99 fee. An the ebay link is confusing as well as it quotes

"Vodafone Mobile Internet is the same price when roaming abroad as at
home. The service will be accessible from any country where we have a
3G or GPRS roaming agreement."

Mind you, this is only for the live.vodafone.com APN, the isp.vodafone.ie APN has the expensive tariff when roaming.

If you want additional credit this can be topped-up at many outlets (almost every grocery shop, gas station and all the ATM machines) in the Irish Republic when you arrive or I can do this for you – just ask as there is no extra charge for this so If you want extra 10 EURO credit you just send me extra 10,80 EURO to my paypal account and let me know…."

So does this mean it can only be used for browsing vodafones site and it will cost more to use the rest of the internet. And the only way you can top it up is though this guy on the internet?

So just so its clear.

You buy the sim of ebay

you top it up with say a tenner of credit

You put it in your dongle and away you go 99 cents per day. No additional charges if you dont go over 50MB, no fees, you dont have to have a contract, its just 99c every time you connect for 24 hours? And if you dont use it for a month it costs nothing?

Sorry but its as clear as mud to me.

I emailed this seller and got the reply

"there is no need to buy any addon. you can just use
vodafone live apn without buying any addons. just
like that. there is so many people using this right
now...."

I am still doubtfull myself.

As for payment. The vodafone.ie site says that you can top up your credit in a list of countries including UK, France, Spain, Portugal etc.

So why is he asking for money to top it up, if it's as easy as the vodafone.ie site says.

Hmm. Ive started a thread on FACTs and nobody there has heard of it either. When I see a post from a long term member of either site stating its for real then I will perhaps consider it.

Well i have to say the more i read about internet on the move the more i am confused, so shall wait for the 4 years until we start full-timing things may be differant then. For now i consider not needing the internet for weekends and holidays:D

Hopefully by then things may be more easy.:)

1. I use a 0044 Global SIM card for mobile phone use abroad. I'm happy with it; it suits me and I'd recommend it to anybody. It allows cheap calls from abroad and it allows free reception of calls.

2. I have an unlocked dongle

3. The SIM card supplier says the global SIM card can be used in the dongle and gives me an apn to use. They say, “You can use the sim card to access data from any GPRS enabled items, including Huawei dongles. To access data, you need to set the APN to 'mobiledata'” and they publish on their website how much it costs per Mb.

4. I put the card in the dongle and the dongle in the laptop

5. I use Mobile Partner software.

6. The SIM card does connect automatically to a mobile telephone network and I am able to use the laptop to send and receive text messages. It is automatic, I don't have to make it connect, it just does it – like switching on a mobile phone. So everything works fine. Right now, as I type, it says it is connected to “WCDMA O2 - UK(Roaming)"

7. However, no matter how many variations on the apn, user id and password I use (and there are a few but not that many advertised), the laptop won't connect to the internet. The error message is “Error 619” and it tells me that it is unable to connect to the remote computer and has closed the port. All this while remaining connected to a phone network and able to make and receive text messages.

Can anyone help? I would be ready to buy a French SIM card for use in the dongle but if I can put in the right profile settings to make my global SIM card work then that would be my ideal as it would work in other countries too.

okay, I am giving up on this ;)

The facts are these: I myself and me have bought this sim card, I topped it up on the vodafone.ie website with my credit card. I used it in UK several times for €0,99 a day. I checked carefully that I didn't used it more than 50MB traffic. Anyway: I followed exactly the procedere the dealer is saying and it worked.

The same are doing ppl that I know in Germany, France, Belgium, Holland and Spain (thats what I know definitely).

The dealer makes certainly a good business with these cards. But I don't care as long as it works for me.

Anyway: the good thing on these sort of things: you are not forced to o it ;)

regards

Stu

I am using a Vodafone prepaid Data Sim Card from vodafone Ireland. I use it in entire Europe for the same charge: 1€ a day with a limit of 50MB.
Again: there are no roaming charges for most of the countries in Europe, for USA, Canada, Australia and some countries in North Africa and Arabia.
The sim card works in unbranded Surfsticks.
Seller is "iesim" on ebay. Just look for Vodafone prepaid sim cards.

regards

Stu

Is that 1 euro / day every day, or are you charged only when used?

TIA

Stu!

Dont give up, there is a similar thread on Motorhome Facts and one of the members there has purchased the sim card and is currently out in Germany. He has connected and strangely can use Skype but cant browse any internet pages. What is he doing wrong?

Here is a link to the post

Forums

If he can get it working then I reckon loads will buy it! Can you help?

Thanks
Barry

What do i need ?

All these new fangled contraptions are all very confusing,i just want to buy something ,thats easy and actually works !can anyone point me in a direction,wether to buy an antenna or ' booster' etc from *bay,please suggest.
I am in Bulgaria,my laptop works of a telephone network,it only works in one room near the window (my laptop is wifi)samsung the 'box' is huawei,sometimes slow as i live in the sticks...i also want something to use,whilst travelling Bulgaria,Greece and Turkey,so any suggestions ?
I tried last week in Greece,pulled outside a internet wifi cafe,and turned on laptop but nothing could be 'picked up' what do i need,or what am i doing wrong,did i need to alter something on laptop ?all a big headache to me...
I am willing to buy extras like antennas,and can get posted from *bay,so would like something for Motorhome and to beef up my 'home internet'.

All these new fangled contraptions are all very confusing,i just want to buy something ,thats easy and actually works !can anyone point me in a direction,wether to buy an antenna or ' booster' etc from *bay,please suggest.
I am in Bulgaria,my laptop works of a telephone network,it only works in one room near the window (my laptop is wifi)samsung the 'box' is huawei,sometimes slow as i live in the sticks...i also want something to use,whilst travelling Bulgaria,Greece and Turkey,so any suggestions ?
I tried last week in Greece,pulled outside a internet wifi cafe,and turned on laptop but nothing could be 'picked up' what do i need,or what am i doing wrong,did i need to alter something on laptop ?all a big headache to me...
I am willing to buy extras like antennas,and can get posted from *bay,so would like something for Motorhome and to beef up my 'home internet'.

All I can say is that when someone comes up with a Eurozone wide mobile broadband package for say £20 per month then thousands of motorhomers will subscribe. There is no easy way yet Im afraid. The chap who has bought the Irish sim has failed to get it to work, buying sims for each country can be a real pain. Wifi antennas are great providing you can get a free or open connection. At least with a wifi antenna it will work in any country where there is wifi. You might have to point it at a MacDonalds or a campsite wifi but instead of having to be within 100 metres you may get a connection for up to a mile or so away (line of site, much less if there are trees, building etc)

This is the one I have which seems to be about the most powerful domestic mobile antenna you can get.

Repeatit SU2410-USB Long Range WiFi Hotspot Booster £98.00

Got "3" and vodafone dongles, when "3" drops out I switch to vodafone. Which I only bought a year or so ago because "3" kept dropping out, but a lot better now!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back