Intermittent Gas flow??

Camper Bob

Hi,

Sometimes when I open the valve on the bottle I get no Gas at the stove .

Yesterday for example , stopped to make a brew but no Gas , tried everything disconnected bottle , tapped valve and regulator with hammer , reconnected etc , nothing. Gave up drove 40 miles , stopped , opened Gas and working perfectly.
Drove on , cooked supper , this morning , nothing not a whisper. I changed the bottle for a new full one , still nothing.

I cannot smell gas anywhere , gas releases if I disconnect bottle and open it , and from the hose. Though just now I did get a leak at the bottle end when I connected the hose , but this stopped after reconnection??

I am going to change the reg and the pigtail today as I have no other ideas ???

Thanks
Simon

Sounds like a bunged up regulator. If it's fitted low down they tend to gum up with the oil from the gas.

Do you have a hinged cover on the stove? Ours has a cut-off valve that stops the gas if the cover is not fully open. It had us completely stumped last year when everything except the stove worked.
regards, Somerled

If it`s a Bulkhead Regulator you need to make sure it`s Higher that the Gas Bottle valve, that way any residue runs back towards the bottle.

If this is the problem the only way is to replace the Regulator and the Pig Tail as well.

If it`s a On Bottle Regulator then replace it with a new one ( £5 or £6 ) that`s all they are.

I had that many problems with the Bulkhead ones that i took them off and replaced the with a On Bottle one and i carry a spare.

Since changing over to the On Bottle type i haven`t had any trouble for 4 years now ( touch wood ).....................LOL

Last edited:
There was several cases a few years back with people having problems with bulkhead regulators. I recall the problem was traced back to the oil in the gas thickening up and eventually blocking the pipe.

One solution was to pour hot water over the regualtor to thin out the oil and run the gas for a few minutes to get a flow going.

Worth a try?

It sounds like the regulator, dirt water ingress through the vent hole can cause corrosion on the spring and doesnt allow the diaphragm to operate correctly and induces poor performance. As others said Oil build up can cause issues too.

New regulator and pigtail hopefully cures the problem

Btw your post doesnt make it clear whether bulk or bottle mounted, but a common problem with bottle mounted regs

hooray cooking again

Sorry for delay in saying thanks for sll the useful tips , after all that it was the catch on the lid , one of those things one only learns through experience somerled , thanks. .....The dealer I bought the van from sure hadn't but another dealer near Northwich knew in two seconds. Are we allowed to promote or review dealers ?

It's a bulkhead reg , and I was aware of the oil build up issue , the reg is higher than the bottle valve which I thought is OK ? But I will be keeping an eye on it , it's brand new though so I was reluctant to suspect it. I did change the pigtail as that looked leaky to me.

Thanks guys
:)

I have had 2 regulators fail in the space of a year..both mounted higher than the gas bottles....just went from a reg from gasit( supposed 5 yr warranty) and 2 new stainless steel hoses...lets see if that works

It maybe worth pointing out that a lot of German made vans have a cutout fitted to windows if an exhaust to a (eg) gas water heater is under the window.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back