Interesting insight into how Camperplaats (aires) are charged for in the Netherlands

Tonybvi

We are on a brilliant camperplaats in the Netherlands right now. Fantastic views, very peaceful and quiet, plenty of space and only 3 vans. Facilities include water, electricity, waste disposal and wi fi. We had a long chat and a few drinks with the owner when he came round to collect the money - 10 euros. When I said he could charge more he told me that he wasn’t permitted to as he didn’t offer shower and toilet facilities (which we never used in any case). Right enough nearly all the camperplaats we have stayed on in the past 3 weeks have all had really good sanitary facilities and all have charged between 15 and 20 euros, never less, never more. It seems that prices are legislated for by the local council areas depending on facilities offered.

How can they turn a profit these days though at 10 Euros with the humongous rise in prices of everything especially energy? Not so bad this time of year but come the colder weather you could easily do 10 Euros and some worth of electric in 24 hours. Only way to do it would be to limit the rate to 3amps I think.

Thanks, that makes sense. We were there for 16 nights a month ago and found getting sites quite tricky, even though we ended up wilding most of it.
3 van sites are no use if you use your van during the day and arrive late afternoon... Ok if you go Dutch; i.e. get there early then explore by bike!
Additionally there seems to be strict 15 van limit on "farm campsites", which presumably have softer planning rules, though still A1 facilities.

I read somewhere that you can park overnight at marinas in The Netherlands

I read somewhere that you can park overnight at marinas in The Netherlands
Indeed so. We have used several “yachthavens” this trip. Very similar deal though - most charge between 10 to 20 euros per night, depending on facilities. Some are really good (eg Kozakkhavn) others are no more than glorified car parks (eg Hoorn). Most are listed, along with “camperplaats” and farm sites on the various European apps that most people are aware of!

Thanks, that makes sense. We were there for 16 nights a month ago and found getting sites quite tricky, even though we ended up wilding most of it.
3 van sites are no use if you use your van during the day and arrive late afternoon... Ok if you go Dutch; i.e. get there early then explore by bike!
Additionally there seems to be strict 15 van limit on "farm campsites", which presumably have softer planning rules, though still A1 facilities.
Grab your pitch at lunchtime. Then...
As per the Germans and sun loungers use towels !!!
And explore the locality in your vehicle.
What we need is an inflatable motorhome or a tent shaped like a motorhome.
Or 4 longish spikes and "crime scene" "bunting".
Any more ideas welcome.
(Not deckchairs with inflatable dolls)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back