insurance

bakerloo

hello Wild Camping community

Ive just joined as a full member and looking for reliable Motorhome insurance and so far the quotes are very high.
Can anyone recommend an insurance broker ?
apologies if there is already a thread, I'm a bit rubbish at navigating threads!

Thank you

I always use the Asda motorhome one, it's been the cheapest for about 4-5 years it does give a fair spread of prices.

Other comparison sites are available :) high street brokers tend to be expensive as they have staff and rent to pay.

hello Wild Camping community

Ive just joined as a full member and looking for reliable Motorhome insurance and so far the quotes are very high.
Can anyone recommend an insurance broker ?
apologies if there is already a thread, I'm a bit rubbish at navigating threads!

Thank you
Presuming that you are insuring a motorhome for the first time (sorry if I'm mistaken), when you phone around for quotes and if you have a full no claims bonus on another vehicle (car?), ask if they will mirror the no claims bonus for your motorhome. Not sure if they all do that but Safeguard did this for me when I started out with a motorhome which made them very competitive.

Presuming that you are insuring a motorhome for the first time (sorry if I'm mistaken), when you phone around for quotes and if you have a full no claims bonus on another vehicle (car?), ask if they will mirror the no claims bonus for your motorhome. Not sure if they all do that but Safeguard did this for me when I started out with a motorhome which made them very competitive.
thanks, yes, they did that

Hi
MHome valued at £29,950 , no modifications, no driver restrictions / claims. Another car at home, spouse and myself to drive.
Renewal next week I got offered £520 from AIB for AXA policy . It was £354 from AiB in 2023 with Highway.

Frank Pickles No longer does MHome Insurance
Adrian Flux referred me onto Policy Link ... passed me to Howdens... awaiting quote from Howdens

Camping and Caravan Club referred me to First Underwriters at £425, with 200 excess and 180 days in Europe.

Any recommendations ?

I always use the Asda motorhome one, it's been the cheapest for about 4-5 years it does give a fair spread of prices.

Other comparison sites are available :) high street brokers tend to be expensive as they have staff and rent to pay.

You've mentioned this before, so I thought I would put in my details and get a comparision to my current price :)

'Staveley Head' is the cheapest for me, and 'Principle Insurance' virtually identical. They are actually £4 less than my current price, but as I am half way through the year, impossible to say if my renewal would be more or less, so we'll call it a match :)
Default Excess was £500! changed it to £00 voluntary and the total excess dropped to £250, but the price didn't go up (something to play around with ;) )

Now it didn't change with Staveley Head OR Principle, but it did on the others mind, albeit not a massive amount.

Interesting exercise though, and come renewal time in September I can get a ballpark range of numbers to work with when looking at my renewal.
If all the same numbers again, I would just stay with current brokers (AIB) and pay the extra £4 for the sake of continuity (and the excess is only £150 BTW, compared to £250 as the lowest via ASDA).

Of course we are all individuals, and they take all into account, but for a few years they beat all the others hands down on the car and the van.

Of course we are all individuals, and they take all into account, but for a few years they beat all the others hands down on the car and the van.
One of the big problems on a thread like this is people saying "how much is insurance" and others say "you're being ripped off, I only pay £xyz".
All the factors of location, age, value, etc, are far too often ignored.

I think I probably pay less for my insurance than 90% of the people on this forum, but I live in what it probably a very low risk postcode with very low population (population density of where I am is half that of the least populated area of England!), have full NCD and do little miles, so I would expect to pay just about the lowest :D

Dug mine out.

1706288159406.png

Yes, location makes a huge difference. I can't even get a wheelbarrow insured for the amount some pay for their car or van.
But then I'm in a F rated area, and it's not just insurance rates that are F'd.

as an amusing (to me anyway :) ) aside, when it comes to Insurance companies, I live less than 5 miles from Cornhill and about 10 miles from Swinton - never used Cornhill and never would use Swinton ever again!
I also live a couple of miles from Eccles (mmmm, eccles cakes :D )

You can only have 90 days in EU, I think you have to re do it if you want to go again.
But would you really want to cancel your policy and take out another if doing a total of more than 90 days in Europe during the year?
Some insurers offer 180 days (which should just about cover 2 x [90 days in 180]), a few have no restriction.

But would you really want to cancel your policy and take out another if doing a total of more than 90 days in Europe during the year?
Some insurers offer 180 days (which should just about cover 2 x [90 days in 180]), a few have no restriction.
Not what I meant, I think you just have to let them know you are intending to go again after the 90 days is up on your return, it could also just be the wording and you have to request longer, as you could go through Europ and return after 90 days.

Most, if not all, policies have to be taken out whilst in the U.K. with the U.K. being the start point. So you would need to come back in order to take out another policy.
A recent case in the news of a family who holidayed abroad, but when they decided to return their daughter went on to South Africa (I think). The family took out a new policy for the daughter, but the policy was declared void as the inception of the policy and start of her trip had to be the U.K.

Davy

I must be missing something, it's been known :D :D

If you intend to to go to the EU you contact the insuranc e company before you go, so you would tell them when you're going and if it only 90 day then you're covered until you return.

If you want to go again then you inform them unless your policy has run out in which case you would need to anyway.

I'm ringing mine on Monday as this is not making any sense.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back