insurance problem

ricc

an acquaintance of mine took out a new 12 month insurance on his 4x4 about a month ago, paid in full by debit card. woman from insurance co phoned today trying to sell buildings and contents cover, was told it wasnt wanted as he was actually living in a caravan in the garden of a friends house.... at the address given on taking out the insurance....woman promptly said no insurance co will cover a vehicle belonging to someone living in a caravan... declared the policy cancelled and keeping the full 12 month premium as a cancellation charge.
the company is adrian flux which i understand is a broker rather than an insurancs company.
how do full time motor homers get on .. do you need a permenant uk address.... or a correspondance address... or is this just some woman with pmt getting her self in a hole on the phone.
any one got a good insurance company to recommend.

Comfort Insurance will cover you. Tel 0800 0304206

They got an excellent write up in " Which Motorcaravan " last month, worth a look if you can get hold of a copy.

I use them for commercial insurance as my vehicle is used for work, I travel to repair genuine Lead windows.

If phoning up other companies DO START YOUR CONVERSATION WITH " DO YOU COVER FULL TIME USE " . I t saves wasting a lot of time!

Good luck

an acquaintance of mine took out a new 12 month insurance on his 4x4 about a month ago, paid in full by debit card. woman from insurance co phoned today trying to sell buildings and contents cover, was told it wasnt wanted as he was actually living in a caravan in the garden of a friends house.... at the address given on taking out the insurance....woman promptly said no insurance co will cover a vehicle belonging to someone living in a caravan... declared the policy cancelled and keeping the full 12 month premium as a cancellation charge.
the company is adrian flux which i understand is a broker rather than an insurancs company.
how do full time motor homers get on .. do you need a permenant uk address.... or a correspondance address... or is this just some woman with pmt getting her self in a hole on the phone.
any one got a good insurance company to recommend.

We have been full timing with Comfort Insurance for 3 years now. We had cover with them before that when we lived in bricks and mortar. Campervan Insurance, Motorcaravan Insurance & Motorhome Insurance

They are very good and deal with claims promptly. Adrian Flux are wrong as there are people who live in Residential Caravans on Park home sites with cars. We also have breakdown insurance for our motorhome which is 4600kg MAM

Disclosure

It is your responsibility to provide complete and accurate information to insurers when you take out your insurance policy, throughout the life of the policy, and when you renew your insurance. Failure to disclose information pertaining to your insurance, or any inaccuracies in information given, could result in your insurance policy being invalid or cover not operating fully.

It is important that you ensure all statements you make on proposal forms, claim forms and other documents, are full and accurate. If a form is completed on your behalf, you should check that the answers shown to any questions are true and accurate before signing the document.

You are reminded that it is an offence under the Road Traffic Act to make any false statements or withhold any relevant information to obtain a certificate of motor insurance.

If you do not have a residential address then you are either Full or Long term in a caravan (A motorhome is a caravan).
You do however need a contact address. You could be ask to produce a utility bill or rent book to prove you are not living in the van full time.

Fulltime insurance is not cheap. It will cost about 100%+ what you would be paying living in bricks and mortar and using the van for leisure. It also affects your car insurance premium.

Comfort do joint household,motorhome and car insurance. A touring/static caravan does not need insurance.

John

Last edited by a moderator:
Another thought are you using the van as part of the the house or separately. You can have a caravan in the curtilage of a property as extra accomodation. If it is part of the household you are not technically living in a caravan. You must be using the house for part of your exising in the van such as meals. washing/toilet or similar.

If not the householder/landowner need planning permission and a site licence for the caravan on the property. The houseowner/landowner is breaking the law not you for permitting such use. There is an exemption for 1 or 2 nights for one caravan. Such vans can only use the land for human habitation for 28 days in a calendar year. This is 1 or 2 nights at a time not 28 days continuous use.

John

Last edited by a moderator:
re. comfort insurance

Ive been shopping round for quotes for my self build "motorcaravan" registered with the DVLA and Comfort told me they do not insure self builds without a copy of the V5, electrical cert. , gas certificate ect ect ect!!!!!!

just been on with I.C and they cannot beat Highway but they impose an annual milage limitation of 10,000 which for me is no good as i do more than that!!!!

the search continues!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tranivanman

thanks for the replies..... it appears af have offered a partial refund late this afternoon.... but are still saying they wont insure a vehicle belonging to someone living in a caravan.

as an aside the mobile homes act allows anyone to put a mobile home in their garden for a member of their family to live in......the definition of family is open to interpretation but includes great nephews, great aunts etc. the mobile home is defined as something that can be transported in two pieces... with a max size which i cant remember but its big. the planners aint got any say in it.

thanks for the replies..... it appears af have offered a partial refund late this afternoon.... but are still saying they wont insure a vehicle belonging to someone living in a caravan.

as an aside the mobile homes act allows anyone to put a mobile home in their garden for a member of their family to live in......the definition of family is open to interpretation but includes great nephews, great aunts etc. the mobile home is defined as something that can be transported in two pieces... with a max size which i cant remember but its big. the planners aint got any say in it.

The Caravan Sites and Control of development Act 1960 ammended 1986.

CASES WHERE A SITE LICENCE IS NOT REQUIRED

Use within curtilage of a dwellinghouse

1. A site licence shall not be required for the use of land as a caravan site if the use is incidental to the enjoyment as such of a dwellinghouse within the curtilage of which the land is situated.

The act does not specify that there has to be any relationship, just that the caravan is part of the dwelling and the user uses the facilities of that dwelling. However it does not say that PP is not required.

Definition of a Caravan in the above Act

"caravan" means any structure designed or adapted for human habitation which is capable of being moved
from one place to another (whether by being towed, or by being transported on a motor vehicle or trailer) and
any motor vehicle so designed or adapted,

The Twin unit is covered by the 1986 amendment to the Act.

John

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back