Insurance for self buids?

PaulC

What are the insurance campanies people are using for self built campers? How do you find them, regards costs, conditions, etc. I've looked on the Adrian Shield, which I thought was one to consider, site but cannot find any reference to self builds.

I used Shield at the start of my build, but now just changed over to Choice. Take a look at the SBMH site and do a seach on there - loads of info on insurance and requirements etc.

SBMCC.CO.UK you may have to phone shield or adrian flux, but they do self build policy's, normally for the first 6 months of the build, then you need to get it changed to a camper at the DVLA, but all the info is on SBMCC

Hi there i found caravan club to insure my self build, just had to get a engineers report, (mates a mechanic so no probs, just wrote a note on headed paper saying no structural mods made during conversion)

Hi there i found caravan club to insure my self build, just had to get a engineers report, (mates a mechanic so no probs, just wrote a note on headed paper saying no structural mods made during conversion)
would still need to inform the dvla for it to be classed as a camper on the log book, can be done by letter with photo's showing certain part to show that it has a fixed cooker,sink,bed/seat, table and windows, I've a list somewhere that lists what they need to see and what the conversion has to have to be classed as a camper, most is common sense, I'll dig it out and post it up

got it remembered I posted it on another forum

DVLA and Insurance requirements for
Self Build Motor Caravans

Building your first motor caravan can be daunting enough without having to keep wondering just what is required to
allow me to reclassify my base vehicle into the coveted "Motor Caravan" on your precious V5.

Hopefully this list will help you fathom out the veritable mine field that is required for a home converted vehicle and
allow you to plan your conversion whilst taking into account each of the sections.
The following permanent (non removable) fixtures and fittings are required.

1: Sleeping accommodation, A bed with a minimum length of 6ft or 180cms.
® Integral part of vehicle living accommodation area
® Either beds or beds converted from seats
® Secured as a permanent fixture (with base structures bolted, riveted, screwed or welded)
® Secured directly to the vehicle floor and/or side wall (unless provision over drivers cab compartment)

2: A horizontal sliding side door or an outward opening rear/side door.

3: Seats and table, Seating area for diners to sit round a detachable or fixed table.
® Integral part of vehicle living accommodation area (mounted independently of other items)
® Table capable of being mounted directly to the vehicle floor or side wall
® Table mounting arrangement secured as a permanent feature (bolted, riveted, screwed or welded) although table
may
® be detachable
® Seats secured directly to the vehicle floor and/or side wall
® Seats secured as a permanent fixture (bolted, riveted, screwed or welded)
® Permanently secured seating available for use at table

4: A permanent installation to house a water container.
Adrian Flux require an installation to hold at least a six gallon, 27 litres, water container.

5: Storage facilities, Wardrobes or Cupboards.
® Cupboard / locker
® Integral part of vehicle living accommodation area (mounted independently of other items, unless incorporated
below
® seat / sleeping accommodation or the cooker)
® Secured as a permanent feature (bolted, riveted, screwed or welded)
® Secured directly to the vehicle floor and/or side wall (unless provision over drivers cab compartment)

6: Cooking facilities, Fixed gas or electric hob or microwave.
® Integral part of vehicle living accommodation area (mounted independently of other items)
® Secured directly to the vehicle floor or side wall
® Secured as a permanent feature (bolted, riveted, screwed or welded)
® Minimum of two ring cooking facility or microwave equipped in either case with fuel / power source
® If gas having remote fuel supply, fuel supply pipe permanently secured to vehicle structure
® If gas with remote fuel supply, fuel reservoir secure storage cupboard or reservoir secured to vehicle structure

7: At least one side window.

Notes:
Shield Total Insurance and Adrian Flux have fairly similar requirements for their insurance offers. The conversion
must be completed within 120 days with Shield Total Insurance and 180 days with Adrian Flux, from the inception of
the policy. If the conversion is not completed within this time or the photographs do not meet the Underwriters crite-
ria, the policy will be cancelled. Flux do not require photographs.

hi, i joined the sbmcc for £15 and saved £80 with caravanwise, they give a list of things they require but nothing you would'nt want anyways and then you pop alongwith the relevant paper off them and get it signed off,my veh is valued at 8k and costs £250 only thing they don't do is recovery service, but i found them to be very helpful

You could try 'Scenic' motor home ins. I don't know about a self build, but I got full comp for my Talbot for 200 quid!
Paol.

insurance

Adrain flux is good,ther have always been with selfbuilds. I used them with my custom vans years ago ,my lad has a selfbuild with them now,could not find any one better.But try as many as possible, as they all vary for different people conditions.

got it remembered I posted it on another forum

Honest question:
So, if say, your bed happened to be 5'5" but you met every other condition listed. Would the DVLA say you cannot register your vehicle as a camper?

Honest question:
So, if say, your bed happened to be 5'5" but you met every other condition listed. Would the DVLA say you cannot register your vehicle as a camper?
not sure to be honest, but knowing my luck they wouldn't, guess it would all depend on the person looking at it from the dvla inspection place, I think we've all had dealings with jobsworths. Not every conversion would go to be inspected, if you supply enough photo's for them not to be in any doubt it's a camper then you'll more than likely not need it inspecting, I've 150 - 200 photo's so far from the start of the build, most covering what they need to see on the list from 3 or 4 angles just in case

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back