INSURANCE AGAIN

carol

Last February while in Portugal I expected a renewal quote from C&CC as had happened for the last 5 years. When a quite didn’t arrive I contacted them to be told they’d emailed me to say they couldn’t offer me insurance - I was shocked (I’d been with them for many years). They said my usual broker had decided they couldn’t cover me as my van was parked on the road and because of my postcode neither of which was different to the god knows how many years I’d been with them. I don’t know why this suddenly happened … Anyway, eventually they found me a quote, literally 3x my usual price but because I was in Portugal and panicking I accepted it. So, I’m hoping to find something cheaper this year, before I leave in January. Does anyone know how far in advance I can get a quote? I tried to get one online a while ago but at the end of all the form-filling I was told they couldn’t offer anything - I didn’t know if it was because the renewal date was too far ahead or because of my blooming postcode! My current insurance expires February 23rd. Can anyone recommend an insurer for older vans? Does anyone get insurance for a van parked on the road? Sorry for the long preamble!

Usually my quotes last 30 days.
I use staveley head.
It was £100 difference between on road and in compound.

At one time my vans policy renewed in early May each year. This proved problematic. I was able to simply explain to my company that I was often away at that time.
It was a simple transaction to cancel the policy and start a new one earlier in the year. This needed a bit of timing as obviously it could not be a retrospective policy. Naturally there was a fee involved but it was quite reasonable, so all good now.
I recall reading on a thread somewhere a while ago that an insurance company refused to renew or begin a policy (can’t remember exactly) simply because the van and it’s owners were on holiday abroad at the time. I think they eventually got sorted but with some faff.

Davy

It might be worthwhile taking out the insurance before current one expires....especially if it saves more money overall? We were with Safeguard last year and van was on road. Hope you find something which is better value.

Yes
At one time my vans policy renewed in early May each year. This proved problematic. I was able to simply explain to my company that I was often away at that time.
It was a simple transaction to cancel the policy and start a new one earlier in the year. This needed a bit of timing as obviously it could not be a retrospective policy. Naturally there was a fee involved but it was quite reasonable, so all good now.
I recall reading on a thread somewhere a while ago that an insurance company refused to renew or begin a policy (can’t remember exactly) simply because the van and it’s owners were on holiday abroad at the time. I think they eventually got sorted but with some faff.

Davy
I’ve heard that too which is why I panicked when I was initially turned down by the C&CC and why I shouldn’t have stayed with them as they put me in a very tricky situation and came up with a quote anyway.

It might be worthwhile taking out the insurance before current one expires....especially if it saves more money overall?
If you take another insurance Policy out early make sure you cancel the current policy as you start the new one, if you have two policies running concurrently and you have an accident it causes complications.
It is a good idea to change the date of your renewal if it needs changing while you are out of the UK.

Will two policies on one car affect my car insurance?​

Paying for two car insurance policies could end up being very costly, because you’ll probably find yourself paying two premiums for one pay-out.

It could also become seriously complicated if you need to make a claim.

• Both insurance providers will need to agree on how much each should contribute to your pay-out. If they disagree, your claim could take far longer to process.
  • If you make a claim, you could end up losing your no claims bonus on both policies.
  • Because you’re effectively making two claims, the cost of your premiums could increase. [\QUOTE]

like yourself i was caught out while abroad so i had to renew early couple of years ago, but knowing i was going to do it allowed me to drop my mileage the year before i did so , made a huge difference on premium then got new policy only lost 6 weeks was mid march now jan 30th but can renew before we leave early jan (30 day quote)

Last February while in Portugal I expected a renewal quote from C&CC as had happened for the last 5 years. When a quite didn’t arrive I contacted them to be told they’d emailed me to say they couldn’t offer me insurance - I was shocked (I’d been with them for many years). They said my usual broker had decided they couldn’t cover me as my van was parked on the road and because of my postcode neither of which was different to the god knows how many years I’d been with them. I don’t know why this suddenly happened … Anyway, eventually they found me a quote, literally 3x my usual price but because I was in Portugal and panicking I accepted it. So, I’m hoping to find something cheaper this year, before I leave in January. Does anyone know how far in advance I can get a quote? I tried to get one online a while ago but at the end of all the form-filling I was told they couldn’t offer anything - I didn’t know if it was because the renewal date was too far ahead or because of my blooming postcode! My current insurance expires February 23rd. Can anyone recommend an insurer for older vans? Does anyone get insurance for a van parked on the road? Sorry for the long preamble!
It’s very importsnt to time when you get a quote for car insurance. Martin Lewis recomends between 20-26 days before the renewal date for the next quote, and I find that’s good advice. I have both my car and my Moho insured with AIB. I find their quotes very competitive.

That`s how i found out the hard way, our motorhome insurance starts on the 7th October but we like to go away as soon as the schools go back which is normally approx the 2nd, 3rd or 4th September so obviously want it done before we go.

Try as i may i couldn`t get a quote before the 30 days rule so rather than trying to sort it out abroad we now just go as soon as it been done a week later.

It will cost u to swap it look for next year can't sea you getting a refund

Also have you all thought about the timing of your MOTs? One argument would be to have your MOT in midwinter when you are least likely to be away, but the counter argument is that if some work needs doing and you are a DIY person you don't want / can't be crawling round under your van in the snow. So have your MOT in the spring before you go away. You can have an MOT done any time, you don't have to wait till it is due. If it should fail though, 6 months before it was due, you can't use the 6 months, it has failed and needs fixing. A good plan is to have an annual service and MOT in the spring so you know you are good for the holidays.
The answer to both the insurance and MOT questions: just get a new motorhome each year. That way you get new tax and insurance with it, and you don't bother with MOTs :)

i am with motorhomeprotext, just try. ok,pj.happy try. happy new year. hope full eeeeee.

We use lifesure for moho. Competitive prices and very helpful on the telephone when a query came up.

Try AIB, and LV they are both very good (I renewed with LV).

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back