Instant pot?

Clunegapyears

Currently we have on board both a slow cooker and a large pressure cooker. This is on top of all my other kitchen gadgets such as a Remoska, electric whisk, wand blender et cetera. I am looking to try and reduce the number to gadgets to save some space.

Lots of people are raving about instant pots and it would replace both the slow cooker and the pressure cooker.

We are really on EHU so would be running it off the inverter. I see that instant pot ultra has a 6 quart one which one is it 1000 W. Our inverter is 12,000 W.

Questions:

Has anyone used one in their motorhome?

Would our inverter be large enough to run this?

Many thanks
Katherine

Probably better looking at power drain on batteries so you probably need to include what size batteries you have and how many

I assume your inverter is 1200 watt [not 12000]. I doubt it will be big enough for a 1000 watt appliance. Someone more techy will be able to advise better than me.

With our Mr D's around 15 minutes ,then remove from heat (power) ,shove it in the shower or anywhere else it wont tip (away from power/energy) drive for around 2 hours minimum. Park up and eat . Usually make a potfull to last up to 3 days . Will need rewarming on day 2 .

With our Mr D's around 15 minutes ,then remove from heat (power) ,shove it in the shower or anywhere else it wont tip (away from power/energy) drive for around 2 hours minimum. Park up and eat . Usually make a potfull to last up to 3 days . Will need rewarming on day 2 .
Found a hardly used Mr D's pot/recipe book/insulation cover for £45 the other day and at that price we've taken the plunge

Probably worth thinking about inverter supply cables which can and do get very hot pulling too much power through a sometimes smaller cable than it should be for the load on it

Common sense and most people know that just thought it was worth a mention

Currently we have on board both a slow cooker and a large pressure cooker. This is on top of all my other kitchen gadgets such as a Remoska, electric whisk, wand blender et cetera. I am looking to try and reduce the number to gadgets to save some space.

Lots of people are raving about instant pots and it would replace both the slow cooker and the pressure cooker.

We are really on EHU so would be running it off the inverter. I see that instant pot ultra has a 6 quart one which one is it 1000 W. Our inverter is 12,000 W.

Questions:

Has anyone used one in their motorhome?

Would our inverter be large enough to run this?

Many thanks
Katherine
Depends how large a meal you like to make if this is suitable, but I just checked which product I bought and it is this one:
I do like the look of the 'real' Instant Pot units, but the higher power and the high price both put me off.

That one in the link above is just 700W power and currently under £40 from Argos (I think I paid more at the time I got mine). Size-wise, it looked good for 1-2 people . It is slightly smaller than the slow cooker I regularly use and when full, that slow cooker has enough for 4 portions easily.
Can't really comment on how good it is as not used it enough (still tend to use the slow cooker as used to it even though the Pressure King Pro will slow cook as well of course).

Power wise, I don't believe that these cookers have the same situation as Microwaves in that they draw twice the quoted power or anything. This 700W one will call for 700W of power from the supply. If the inverter is supplying the 700W, than with the overhead of conversion from DC to AC, you will likely pull upto 850W of power from the Battery (so around 65A in the case of Lithium Batteries). I would expect your 1200W PSW Inverter would cope fine with that, but I don't know if it would be ok with a 1000W Cooker. That could be borderline (depends how the inverter power quoted is actually calculated).

I might use mine to cook up some rice or something today and see how it goes :) (Definately will try it next time do a slow cook - usually once a week typically)

Update. Instantpot duo as an early birthday gift (and my birthday not till December!).
Did the recommended 5 minute pressure cooking of water to test the 1200 inverter. Worked fine ... leisure batteries dropped from 100 to 93%, but will have been a heavy draw to get to temperature.
Based on this, the big pressure cooker and slow cooker are now in the Aged Ps attic and I’m going to sous vide some steak, coz I can!

Try one more test ... Repeat the 5 minute test and feel the DC cables from Battery to Inverter and how warm they get. If they get a little warm that is OK, but if they seem uncomfortable to touch, might need upgrading. (Most unlikely given who installed it, but worth a sense check now you are really exercising the inverter).

if you have the cupboard room katherine the mr d does seem a worthwhile investment we got one half price only used it twice but seems great , did a 15 min boil up of a chilli shut it up & went shopping & boozing 6 hrs later was perfect fed 8 of us at the new forest

if you have the cupboard room katherine the mr d does seem a worthwhile investment we got one half price only used it twice but seems great , did a 15 min boil up of a chilli shut it up & went shopping & boozing 6 hrs later was perfect fed 8 of us at the new forest
Also happy with ours but don't bother with the cookbook in my opinion. We bought second hand so no issue but I would have been dissapointed if had spent a tenner on it.

got a cookbook along with ours some interesting recipes there but a friend has the older plastic “magic” cooker that’s really good as well he says like a pressure cooker reduce the liquid in the recipe as it’s not steaming away

By far the best gadget in my van is a mr d's, just a few minutes on the gas hob to heat it up and several hours later its ready. It also makes cakes and has a seperate pot on top inside for rice etc. All his recipes are on line so i suggest dont buy the recipe book

Thanks Ken, but I’m trying to REDUCE kitchen gadgets, not add to them!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back