Improving heat distribution

Canalsman

I have a Truma convection/blown air heater in the 'van. I don't use the blown air option much since there's quite significant heat loss through the tubes so the warm air doesn't work as well as I would like.

I've found, for me at least, a better option.

I have two USB rechargeable fans that I use in hot weather; at best twice a year in the UK!

I have found that by suitable positioning I can use one of these to blow the heated air in the direction of the lounge area extremely effectively.

It works really well!

Some thoughts regarding the original setup ....
Could it be worthwhile wrapping the tubes with reflective silver tape to cut down on heat loss? or maybe make small boxes to enclose and fill with insulation?
I think we have the same Truma heater and ductwork in our Motorhomes? I have found if I close the one nearest to the heater, I get much better flow to the one further down the path, which helps the distribution.

On that first sentence above, I am tempted to make up a little box to enclose - only needs to be very thin ply and would take up hardly any more room than the pipes themselves.

Some thoughts regarding the original setup ....
Could it be worthwhile wrapping the tubes with reflective silver tape to cut down on heat loss? or maybe make small boxes to enclose and fill with insulation?
I think we have the same Truma heater and ductwork in our Motorhomes? I have found if I close the one nearest to the heater, I get much better flow to the one further down the path, which helps the distribution.

On that first sentence above, I am tempted to make up a little box to enclose - only needs to be very thin ply and would take up hardly any more room than the pipes themselves.
I have insulated the pipe that runs through the external locker under the entrance step.

The warmth into the lockers may be useful but I'd rather experience warmer air in the lounge.

I have experimented with closing the blower flaps and it certainly helps.

But given I've already got the fans, and it's a matter of seconds to position one of them, I decided on the lazy option!

I too have noticed this. Same heater . There is external ducting which is now well insulated, also bizarrely the garage was heated, but not the bedroom above. One of the first thing I changed, ducting into bedroom. But I do use fan most of the time.

OK what is alpine mode ? and is there more special modes on these heater. Ie can the heater fan run all day just on cold air ?.

I've never traced where the ducts run but the ones to the back of the van produce nice warm air, and the these are fed via ducts that clearly run inside the van. But the vents at the front lounge area only produce about half the heat, so these must drop down out of the van under the floor to get past the access door. So I think I'll try the fan trick.

I'm going to start collecting suitable insulation to wrap me pipes......setting up the flaps on the end of each pipe works well, my bathroom got over hot and so flap is now only a crack open and the coldest bit at the passenger seat is fully open. The boiler is under the fixed bed and that suits as it's always toastie in bed.

Obviously altering the flap opening will alter the air flow and therefore the heat distribution! My bathroom flap is almost tight closed and the flap by the door (mid way down van) is only open a little.

However, I have two flaps at the rear of the van which take air back to the heater to be warmed and recirculated: closing those results in poor air flow so consider the overall process.

Gordon

I'm going to start collecting suitable insulation to wrap me pipes......setting up the flaps on the end of each pipe works well, my bathroom got over hot and so flap is now only a crack open and the coldest bit at the passenger seat is fully open. The boiler is under the fixed bed and that suits as it's always toastie in bed.

Yes you can do that but the off heat is good in your storage boxes . The longer it's on the Less losted. As if near pipes ie water I'd leave alone. Adjust fan speed instead

I've never traced where the ducts run but the ones to the back of the van produce nice warm air, and the these are fed via ducts that clearly run inside the van. But the vents at the front lounge area only produce about half the heat, so these must drop down out of the van under the floor to get past the access door. So I think I'll try the fan trick.
When in the lounge area close or nearly close other vents? Tis what we do, leaving the bathroon one open a touch and also the one under the bed.

We do that but it's never feels as hot as the bathroom air flow, the bathroom is a smaller space so does warms up quickly, this is useful as we dry the towels hung from the shower rail, or wet coats.

2 things we do in winter especially now it's the coldest it's been in ten years. Lol
1 outside windscreen cover that cover door windows also. It also will not need demisting befor you leave the area in morning.
2 turn the van heater control to recirculation on dash so the flap to cab is closed at night.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back