Ilse of Skye Motorhome service point.

Herman

It has got to be a big congratulations to whoever on Skye approved this. A new erected motorhome service point. It is at the Old man of Stor carpark.
IMG_20210523_101055.jpg
IMG_20210523_101042.jpg

Thats a few of these in Scotland this year alone. Well done to the people responsible and hope others see the benefits and we get more like it in the future.
I just sent a Thank You to them for their efforts to welcome motor home's I used this address
communication.support@highland.gov.uk I asked perhaps if it arrived at the wrong dept they could forward it for me. On their site it would be easy to find a tab for a complaint but not so easy to say Thanks

Ditto as above. Also asked about a means of payment/donation for using the facility. I doubt we will ever have the same approach as Europe to the servicing of motorhome water and sanitation but credit where credit is due.

Cheers

H

I used this facility twice, the first time I had paid for parking and had completed the walk when I spotted it, so made use of the facilities and was talking to another MOHO owner who said it was funded by the parking fees, the second time I used it I was passing so pulled up outside, as it is only £3 to park I went to get a ticket but it was jammed and not accepting coins, as it happened there was a traffic warden doing the rounds so went and told him the machine was jammed. He said if your just going to be 10 minutes don't bother paying, but I insisted as the service facilities were worth £3 and thanked him for suppling them, which took him by surprise. He said they are installing a second one at Broadford, and I did suggest a donations box.

Also, when we went to Carbost to the Talisker Distillery we stopped on the Slipway at Portnalong, which allows 5 vans and has a donations box and a tap (the notice informs us that they plan to improve the facilities for motorhomes), as there was a pub within walking distance we stopped here twice and dropped a fiver in the box both times, but to be honest, sadly I didn't see other users go anywhere near the box. On the way back out past Carbost there is a little unmanned camp site with a basic CDP so took the opportunity to empty my cassette, again no donation box so just dropped £2 through the letterbox.

I don't often write messages on here but I felt I just had to say how wonderful it is to find someone on a council who has done some joined up thinking and realised that we do actually contribute to their economy and most of us do not leave a mess or destroy the environment. Hopefully other councils will follow suit and maybe even remove their other barriers to our presence such as height barriers at car parks so we can't even go and park to have a walk or a cup of coffee like everyone else during the day. Let's hope this is the beginning of a new era!

I don't often write messages on here but I felt I just had to say how wonderful it is to find someone on a council who has done some joined up thinking and realised that we do actually contribute to their economy and most of us do not leave a mess or destroy the environment. Hopefully other councils will follow suit and maybe even remove their other barriers to our presence such as height barriers at car parks so we can't even go and park to have a walk or a cup of coffee like everyone else during the day. Let's hope this is the beginning of a new era!
The canny Scots don’t take too long to realise there’s money to be made.

Height barriers are simply wrong....
As you post you cannot stop for a break or a short walk in what may be a brilliant spot !

It has got to be a big congratulations to whoever on Skye approved this. A new erected motorhome service point. It is at the Old man of Stor carpark.View attachment 97853View attachment 97854
This is great news! Has anyone found a link to Google maps so that all motorhome drivers visiting from around the UK and other Countries can find these service points? Hopefully it can be updated by the Scottish Councils as the project gains ground.
I suppose even English councils may in time and after much navel gazing realise this is a good thing, although, no doubt, they will need educating about the cost benefit analysis and not be about lining the pockets of the campsite owners lobby.

I think it should also be mandatory for motorway service stations to provide motorhome service points to protect the countryside from illegal waste disposal. They all have drainage in place already so it only needs the service point being located near the waste drainage and connecting up.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back