I am a ranger in the Scottish highlands

• Thread starter Deleted member 92340
  • Start date
I think the issue is more the name of this forum is possibly unintentionally misleading Especially within the definition of wild camping in Scotland under the Scottish Outdoor Access code.
1) I have been "Wild Camping" in a vehicle for more than 30 years, I call it Wild Camping because that was the term that everyone used for it.
2) This forum and the forum name existed before the Scottish access code was published, so I claim "dibs" on the name and the Scottish Government should stop their possibly unintentionally misleading use of my brand. (this is a joke for those people with no sense of humour)

1) I have been "Wild Camping" in a vehicle for more than 30 years, I call it Wild Camping because that was the term that everyone used for it.
2) This forum and the forum name existed before the Scottish access code was published, so I claim "dibs" on the name and the Scottish Government should stop their possibly unintentionally misleading use of my brand. (this is a joke for those people with no sense of humour)
Yes Wild Parking just doesn’t have the same ring to it😂😂

i am here in my personal capacity and as a van user myself. (I am actually a ranger representing three groups amongst other jobs and unpaid volunteering because I care about our planet 🌍).
Due to your job role I would be very interested to see photos of campervans/motorhomes abusing the Access Code or dirty camping. I have no doubt that there are issues on the 500 but am intrigued and would like to see examples that you are coming across in your job role. Please, this is not a challenge but rather I am looking for some insight into what is causing the reaction that the touring community is currently experiencing

Thank you

Sue em Phil!! Go on my san!!! :ROFLMAO:

Any humour goes out of the window when you up the ante as far as claiming "dibs". I would think a letter from Wee Jimmy will be winging its way to you very shortly.

As it states overnighting as we do to rest is legal as we pay rd tax and ins, that's all I do here in N Ireland and don't set up campView attachment 100021
Hi Trev. Can you tell me what document that is an extract from? A reference would be useful. I presume it’s a NI Doc. But I’d be interested to find out if there is a parallel reference in England, Wales and Scotland.

I am a Ranger on Holliday in Cornwall and to be honest I’m really happy we won our 55th league championship this year but I thought Steven Gerard had more important stuff to do than get involved in camping issues. Come on the Rangers. I could sing a song that Trev likes bug I’ll get the jail.😂😜

Last edited:
Hi Trev. Can you tell me what document that is an extract from? A reference would be useful. I presume it’s a NI Doc. But I’d be interested to find out if there is a parallel reference in England, Wales and Scotland.
Its from a post put on here back a bit, thing is folks only half read things, we as wildcampers/having a rest after driving are complying with the highway code, rest from driving if tired.

Note as i have said many times, no booze when in charge of any vh on a public highway or c park, give it up its not good for you anyway. 😂

Hi Gregor and welcome, I keep receiving invites from visit Scotland to holiday in various places and over the last couple of years have done just that, I have to say what a beautiful place it is, on a few occasions I have mentioned to the shop keepers about the negative feeling towards Motorhome owners and their answer has been we certainly need the business. My two trips have been wonderful and met some really friendly people but my point is other than leaving no trace whatsoever I contributed over £2500 over the two trips that was fuel, food and fees for emptying black and gey water at various campsites and also filling up with fresh water well worth the £5 or £10 that they charge and of course various campsite fees so please Gregor we are not the bury or throw anywhere brigade that some people try to make us out to be. I have attached a couple of photographs of my wife and I cleaning a lay-by in the Highlands, we had a couple of locals stop to thank us and they said that the majority of rubbish is down to day trippers, I have to say that is the case in the seaside town that we live in in East Yorkshire. I hope you enjoy been a member of the club.

291C08CB-AF3B-47A5-BFD4-BFF417F32A43.jpeg
D238F5A0-2AFE-499E-80FB-CA35B3E8C563.jpeg

Last edited:
Hi Gregor.
I would also like to add a couple of observations,
I have also been 'wild camping' in motorhomes for over 20 years, never stopping for more than 1 night in a place, collect litter car drivers leave, and only use outside tables etc when on sites.
We are at present in a cottage in Gairloch with family.
The locals understandably are against me parking up the empty van in a car park.
On the trip here most probably 90% of the vans we saw are rentals, not knowing to pull over when either meeting or slowing traffic down on single track roads. Putting out tables, chairs and awnings at the side of the road or passing places.
I have been disappointed and understand how we look as a group of motorhome users, its the hire companies who need to be criticized for not giving better guidance to those people who hire the motor homes.
On the plus side there are many more service and stop-over places, we also make donations when we can. I have also noticed that its the owner/responsible users who make these donations and it's some of the hired m/h who just use the facilities and leave without a donation.
We used to travel this area before the NC500 was created and enjoy the route it's now like the M1!!
It's no wonder we are disliked.

Hi Gregor. Thanks for your input. I've not been to Scotland in my Motorhome yet. In fact I've not been out at all in her for more than a couple of years, health issues. I normally litter pick and leave area clean, so motorhomers don't get blamed. I used to litter pick where I live but have given up as it's never ending and no help from council if I ask for anything. They are also very anti motorhomers and to me seem the same for residents & local groups. You'll probably be aware that many people report motorhomers who park somewhere because they don't want them there, but then some of those people then go on to have a picnic or take away then litter the area with their rubbish and drugs or drink litter, even leaving their dog mess hanging from a tree. It all seems wrong to me!!

I have seen many times cars parked in a car park where a couple will get some chairs out of their car boot and sit and look at the view with maybe a copper or picnic. And I am sure we have all seen plenty of rubbish left behind by people with cars, but I have never seen signs banning cars from car parks.
But the first time someone in a motorhome gets chairs out to do the same thing, then we all get banned,
And when ever there has been a motorhome in a car park, any rubbish in the car park, for some strange reason must have been left by the people in the motorhome, so again we all get banned from the car park.
Can anyone explain why this is ?

I have seen many times cars parked in a car park where a couple will get some chairs out of their car boot and sit and look at the view with maybe a copper or picnic. And I am sure we have all seen plenty of rubbish left behind by people with cars, but I have never seen signs banning cars from car parks.
But the first time someone in a motorhome gets chairs out to do the same thing, then we all get banned,
And when ever there has been a motorhome in a car park, any rubbish in the car park, for some strange reason must have been left by the people in the motorhome, so again we all get banned from the car park.
Can anyone explain why this is ?
I think they just like to blame someone, we are an easy target. Where I use to litter pick I have never seen a motorhome, along a towpath or in the middle of a nature reserve. Just the general population. I can't imagine anyone taking and flytipping with their motorhome, cars yes, but council still anti motorhome but not anti car. Yes, cars & lorries can picnic but not motorhomers, mad!!

Last edited:
Just to let you group be mindful of the Scottish Outdoor Access Code -

“The Scottish Outdoor Access Code

Access rights extend to wild camping, this type of camping is lightweight, done in small numbers and only for two or three nights in any one place. You can camp in this way wherever access rights apply, but help to avoid causing problems for local people and land managers by not camping in enclosed fields of crops or farm animals, and by keeping well away from roads, buildings, and historic structures.

Access Rights Do Not Apply To Motor Vehicles.”
Wish you could get your message out to the casual day trippers Gregor, the families that rock up to your beauty spots in the overloaded car, kids / dogs, food, lots of fast food, ... they have a lovely day, and when they leave, ... fast food containers, drink cans, bottles, tops, dog sh**t, soiled nappies ... that we on this forum usually pick up, because we are aware of the code of conduct, and have waste bags, rubbish storage, toilet storage, built into our vans ... please get our message out to your managers, local councilors, MP's, that motorhomers and campervanners, enjoy and maintain our countryside, because we've often worked all our lives to enjoy it ... 🙂

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back