I am a ranger in the Scottish highlands

• Thread starter Deleted member 92340
  • Start date
One line would have made a world of difference;

One line would have made a world of difference;

'I am sure many seasoned tourers on the forum are fully aware of, understand and respect the Access Code, but as the hobby has seen a huge recent growth which will include novices I hope you dont mind me posting the following............'

Easy 🤷‍♂️

Easy 🤷‍♂️
Fair point which I take “on board”…and will re-edit if possible

Just to let you group be mindful of the Scottish Outdoor Access Code -

“The Scottish Outdoor Access Code

Access rights extend to wild camping, this type of camping is lightweight, done in small numbers and only for two or three nights in any one place. You can camp in this way wherever access rights apply, but help to avoid causing problems for local people and land managers by not camping in enclosed fields of crops or farm animals, and by keeping well away from roads, buildings, and historic structures.

Access Rights Do Not Apply To Motor Vehicles.”
Taking on feedback from comments below I apologise if I didn’t include the following “'I am sure many seasoned tourers on the forum are fully aware of, understand and respect the Access Code, but as the hobby has seen a huge recent growth which will include novices I hope you dont mind me posting the following..........” to help spread awareness of the Scottish Outdoor Access code….

I think the issue is more the name of this forum is possibly unintentionally misleading Especially within the definition of wild camping in Scotland under the Scottish Outdoor Access code.
The name of this forum is Wildcamping for Motorhomes which isn’t really an issue it’s what we do. We are a really considerate bunch and use common sense when out enjoying our hobby. But I understand where your coming from. Who are you a ranger for? FC or a private estate?

Last edited:
Yes. There has been much debate in the NC500 group regarding the term "Wild Camping" When referring to motorhomes. It seems a lot of people (not motorhomers) are pretty hung up about it which I find bizarre but there you go.

Its just a term for parking up out in the sticks or wherever off grid. Why does it matter? Who really cares?

Many years ago we had a Ranger / Warden or whatever they are called from the Lake District come on here telling us that we couldn't wild camp around Ennerdale Water and a couple of other places. It got rather heated I seem to remember.

Was Gregors Post an invite for a discussion or just him telling us we have no right to park overnight anywhere in Scotland which of course is garbage because you can I believe park legally anywhere within 15 yards of a road.

I hope he does come back as dialogue can only be good for all surely.
Barry 'I am sure many seasoned tourers on the forum are fully aware of, understand and respect the Access Code, but as the hobby has seen a huge recent growth which will include novices I hope you dont mind me posting the following............'I am informed that it is not “a right“ to park anywhere… please see and share this new leaflet with your forum and friends

Attachments

• Motorhomes and Campervans DL Landscape.pdf
    712.9 KB · Views: 253
The name of this forum is Wildcamping for Motorhomes which isn’t really an issue it’s what we do. We a really considerate bunch and use common sense when out enjoying our hobby. But I understand where your coming from. Who are you a ranger for? FC or a private estate?
i am here in my personal capacity and as a van user myself. (I am actually a ranger representing three groups amongst other jobs and unpaid volunteering because I care about our planet 🌍).

Did Gregor just turn up, disregard the forum courtesy code, upset the locals and then leave 🤔
“Tookey” Genuinely want feedback on how I disregarded this forums courtesy code?

Yes. There has been much debate in the NC500 group regarding the term "Wild Camping" When referring to motorhomes. It seems a lot of people (not motorhomers) are pretty hung up about it which I find bizarre but there you go.

Its just a term for parking up out in the sticks or wherever off grid. Why does it matter? Who really cares?

Just to let you be mindful that you are picking on the wrong people and ignoring the Buckfast Brigade.

Some of us rarely wildcamp anymore because of height barriers and other obstacles. Perhaps if you had a small Business, you might have a different attitude to tourists. Especially those retired people with spending power.
“Maingate” the “buckfast brigade” haven’t even arrived yet!😟

As it states overnighting as we do to rest is legal as we pay rd tax and ins, that's all I do here in N Ireland and don't set up camp
we do.png

I think the issue is more the name of this forum is possibly unintentionally misleading Especially within the definition of wild camping in Scotland under the Scottish Outdoor Access code.
I can understand that, I was (Dad with young boy now) getting out bushcrafting and hammock camping before getting a motorhome and would have been equally confused by the expression before joining the community. You perhaps are more familiar with 'off grid' but the two names mean the same.

This forum includes members from all walks of life, some like me that are relatively new to the hobby and others that have decades of experience, some only get away for a few days at a time, others live full time in their vehicle, some only use campsites, some never use them but on this particular forum a combination is the usual preference. What we all have in common is our chosen hobby or lifestyle includes travelling and living in our motorhomes while enjoying the cities, towns and countryside.

You didn't get a very warm welcome and I include myself, presently as a community we feel very unfairly targeted by the public, authorities and the media so someone coming into our own backyard and instantly treating us as if we were ignorant was not welcome. The sometimes despicable behaviour of the minority has lead to blanket aggression towards all within our community by some members of the groups just mentioned, understandably we are sensitive to what we (I) perceived as further critism of our community by a new visitor.

The truth is for the most part members on this forum travel in self contained motorhomes and show the upmost respect to the people and areas we visit. We respect the Access Code and the Law, we support local economies with our spending money and aim to leave no trace whether it be after staying at a campsite or wildcamping. Quite a few members 'pay their dues' at a public carpark by doing a litter pick, my family do.

You own a camper but if it is the role as a ranger that brought you here you are welcome if you engage with us with an open mind and leave any preconceptions at the door. To discuss issues that are negatively effecting our hobby and your job would be beneficial to both parties.

“Tookey” Genuinely want feedback on how I disregarded this forums courtesy code?
I was playing around with words............as a Ranger you are concerned about people 'turning up, disregarding the Access Code, upsetting locals and leaving', I was pointing out that you had done the web equivalent, swapping 'access' with 'courtesy' as you had made no effort to introduce yourself and give some reasoning to your post. A post that I took offence at as it implied our ignorance on the subject.

.......as long as you don't judge us on the 'funnies' sub forum you will realise that we are reasonable bunch and I for one and I am sure all others will happily welcome you to the forum, just maybe be a tad more thoughtful next time when posting (y)

Welcome from W.Yorkshire

Last edited:
Have a dram an calm doon. If the itch persists more than a week seek medical advice and what ever you do dont get your nickers in a twist that usually results in the your anus becoming more tight. 😜
You are right, very busy week, was wound too tight, colleague on holiday so double the sites. Slept now, sun is shining and tonight we are trying a reasonably local woodland campsite, fiver per adult and Ralph is free. Open fires allowed and you can tuck yourself in any corner of the woods you can get into (y)

Last edited:
A classic case of setting off on the wrong foot.

Rangers opening post spoke to us as if we are a bunch of Boy Scouts given a flint and knife and told to make fire for the first time.
Some members took umbridge and reacted negatively to it, understandable given the negative misinformed press we normally receive.

Lets start again shall we?

Welcome to the forum Ranger, your first post showing you with the kids displaying the anti-litter message was spot on.

Anyway, I have the annual Snowflakes Wildcamping Meet to organise now, the highlight being the 'Loch Lomond Cassette Contents Flinging Contest'.

😇😇😇😇😇😇😇😇😇

Many years ago we had a Ranger / Warden or whatever they are called from the Lake District come on here telling us that we couldn't wild camp around Ennerdale Water and a couple of other places. It got rather heated I seem to remember.

Was Gregors Post an invite for a discussion or just him telling us we have no right to park overnight anywhere in Scotland which of course is garbage because you can I believe park legally anywhere within 15 yards of a road.

I hope he does come back as dialogue can only be good for all surely.
I remembet something very like that. Forestry Commission I think. I could probably find the correspondence I had with him which I think boiled down to him saying that car parks were not designed for overnight parking of cars.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back