I am a ranger in the Scottish highlands

• Thread starter Deleted member 92340
  • Start date

Deleted member 92340

Just to let you group be mindful of the Scottish Outdoor Access Code -

“The Scottish Outdoor Access Code

Access rights extend to wild camping, this type of camping is lightweight, done in small numbers and only for two or three nights in any one place. You can camp in this way wherever access rights apply, but help to avoid causing problems for local people and land managers by not camping in enclosed fields of crops or farm animals, and by keeping well away from roads, buildings, and historic structures.

Access Rights Do Not Apply To Motor Vehicles.”

You are preaching to the converted on here Gregor. Regular members on here follow our own code of conduct and you will from time to time even seen threads about bad behaviour of some "Wild" campers. I think most seasoned motorhomers will be aware that places like the NC500 are being swamped but the issues are certainly not all down to motorhomers and especially those that know what they are doing. I guess though there are a lot of newbies and those hiring vans etc as well as the throw away tent brigade.

If ever there was a case though for the need for more service points and overnight parking areas this summer and last is it.

You are preaching to the converted on here Gregor. Regular members on here follow our own code of conduct and you will from time to time even seen threads about bad behaviour of some "Wild" campers. I think most seasoned motorhomers will be aware that places like the NC500 are being swamped but the issues are certainly not all down to motorhomers and especially those that know what they are doing. I guess though there are a lot of newbies and those hiring vans etc as well as the throw away tent brigade.

If ever there was a case though for the need for more service points and overnight parking areas this summer and last is it.
You might be better speaking to folks that aren't self contained with toilet facilities on board....

Rather than us?

ranger.png

Im a lumberjack and i dont care.

Access rights extend to wild camping, this type of camping is lightweight, done in small numbers and only for two or three nights in any one place. You can camp in this way wherever access rights apply, but help to avoid causing problems for local people and land managers by not camping in enclosed fields of crops or farm animals, and by keeping well away from roads, buildings, and historic structures.

I can assure you members here find poor camping behaviour upsetting and annoying. I am unsure what your hobbies are but our hobby is being ruined by these people. We have to put up with the media doing articles about damage caused and debris left and they attach a stock picture of a motorhome without any evidence that it was the occupants of a camper that caused it.

You have done much the same, did you take the time to read old forum threads about how we feel about poor camping behaviour before you posted?

There are poorly behaved motorhome users, we are not blind to that but as a Ranger your role is to help preserve the beauty of locations for all, both human and wildlife. Targetting individuals not communities should be the aim. They punished all football fans by putting them in cages because of the behaviour of the few and then realised that was a mistake.

I admire and appreciate the work done by you and your colleagues but please consider the attitude that you have fallen into by posting that statement on a forum already committed to parking in suitable locations and 'leave no trace'

Guy

Just to let you be mindful that you are picking on the wrong people and ignoring the Buckfast Brigade.

Some of us rarely wildcamp anymore because of height barriers and other obstacles. Perhaps if you had a small Business, you might have a different attitude to tourists. Especially those retired people with spending power.

I have been an active member of this group for some time now. NC500 the land weeps

Even though I have no intention of going there at the moment I felt it worthwhile joining to fight our corner and put a few myths to bed. Mind you its hard to get a word in edgeways as its heavily moderated and the mods and poster will often make their point then close the thread.

There is a lot of NIMBYISM and I do wonder just how many of the complainers are genuine locals and not retired "English" Teachers or Lawyers" but there has been some pretty shocking behaviour but as others have said and from my experience its hardly ever motorhomers with self contained units causing the bother although some take the piss at times as to where they park. Can you imagine anyone on here or pretty much any motorhomer ever emptying a cassette on the sands or dunes because I cant. Very likely another myth.

I'm a little puzzled.... (some might say puddled)

A Scottish Highland ranger joins a 'Wild camping for motorhomes' Forum...

Presumably because they have a motorhome...
So they already know that we are self contained...

THEN in their second post proceeds to 'Inform' folks that

"Access laws don't apply to motor vehicles"

Smells a bit fishy to me....

But then I do have an overactive cynical gland.

You never said whether you were a Ranger for the Forestry Commission or a private estate? People are quick to attack the motorhome community because we don’t like to use campsites and prefer to park up in remote places. The majority of us are common sense campers and arrive late and leave early clearing the place of other peoples rubbish and disposing of it sensibly is something we pride our selves in.

I reckon Gregor has been tasked with the job, I suspect members that use forums similiar to this will report they have seen the same post on those ones.

If he hasn't I'm even more annoyed :LOL:

Many years ago we had a Ranger / Warden or whatever they are called from the Lake District come on here telling us that we couldn't wild camp around Ennerdale Water and a couple of other places. It got rather heated I seem to remember.

Was Gregors Post an invite for a discussion or just him telling us we have no right to park overnight anywhere in Scotland which of course is garbage because you can I believe park legally anywhere within 15 yards of a road.

I hope he does come back as dialogue can only be good for all surely.

Only one other post in Scottish adventure thread,
and a little bizarre that he didn't introduce himself etc before preaching to the converted! Shame he didn't see fit to actually engage first!:censored:

Only one other post in Scottish adventure thread,
and a little bizarre that he didn't introduce himself etc before preaching to the converted! Shame he didn't see fit to actually engage first!:censored:
One line would have made a world of difference;

'I am sure many seasoned tourers on the forum are fully aware of, understand and respect the Access Code, but as the hobby has seen a huge recent growth which will include novices I hope you dont mind me posting the following............'

Easy 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
I can assure you members here find poor camping behaviour upsetting and annoying. I am unsure what your hobbies are but our hobby is being ruined by these people. We have to put up with the media doing articles about damage caused and debris left and they attach a stock picture of a motorhome without any evidence that it was the occupants of a camper that caused it.

You have done much the same, did you take the time to read old forum threads about how we feel about poor camping behaviour before you posted?

There are poorly behaved motorhome users, we are not blind to that but as a Ranger your role is to help preserve the beauty of locations for all, both human and wildlife. Targetting individuals not communities should be the aim. They punished all football fans by putting them in cages because of the behaviour of the few and then realised that was a mistake.

I admire and appreciate the work done by you and your colleagues but please consider the attitude that you have fallen into by posting that statement on a forum already committed to parking in suitable locations and 'leave no trace'

Guy
I think the issue is more the name of this forum is possibly unintentionally misleading Especially within the definition of wild camping in Scotland under the Scottish Outdoor Access code.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back