Hymer Van flat battery

clivjus

Hi. we leave our van for any period of time ie a few wks without start up engine battery dies. should we be disconnecting something to stop drain on battery??thank you.

Hi. we leave our van for any period of time ie a few wks without start up engine battery dies. should we be disconnecting something to stop drain on battery??thank you.

As you say it takes a few weeks that probably rules out something sinister.

Usual culprits are:-
Radio which needs elec to hold it programed radio stations orthe alarm system but also ensure you turn off water pump as these will cut in occasionaly if the water pressure drops due to cooling and warming of water in pipes. I have to leave my leisure circuit on for alarm in rear and I am forever leaving the heater fan on very low :)

in my hymer manual, states that on EHU, car battery also get charged if you can can hook your hymer up even once a week may prevent car battery from going flat

Hi
Might be worth checking the condition of the battery itself. If it's quite old it may only hold enough charge to start the engine with regular use but could be discharging quicker than expected when van not in use for a number of weeks, especially if you have an alarm led and a dash clock running all the time.
All the best and welcome.
Gairn

why not just start your vehicle up and take it for a run once weekly? this also would keeps things working on the van instead of sticking.

:)

If you leave the van unattended for any length of time I recommend getting a solar panel. Two years ago we left ours in storage for six months over winter while we went galavanting through Africa, Australia, New Zealand and South America. On our return, the engine turned over first time. Similarly, we have been in Egypt for nearly three months this winter and even with the appalling lack of sun, the batteries have kept power and the engine once again started first time. The van is five years old and both the engine and leisure batteries are the original ones.

We have the same problem with our Westfalia, but then there are permanent drains on the battery with the clocks, radio, alarm etc..
I have a small charger that I bought to keep the battery for my '65 BSA alive. It can be left on permanently and tops up the battery as it is needed,or just used a (trickle) charger. Because it came from Lidl it only cost about a tenner.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back