Hymer Starline 680 payload

• Thread starter Deleted member 62288
  • Start date

Deleted member 62288

Hymer Starline 680 payload

Based on the Mercedes Sprinter 416. Dually rear axle.

I just had an MOT which passed with only an advisory.
The examiner told me that I was 300kg overweight, which went onto the ticket as an advisory

Previous years gave me a printout which shows weights per axle, total weight as well as data regarding the braking efficiencies etc.
This year, only the certificate. no backup data.

Last year the total weight was 4240kg, I haven't loaded up any significant junk so the weight should be about the same, this year.

Without going to a weighbridge to get the details, I'm puzzled.
The plate is confusing as it gives 2 weights without any legend to tell me what the numbers refer to.
4600kg
6000kg
Which I presume is unladen weight / max weight (inc payload), but that doesn't agree with the separate axle weights detailed below.

Then the axle limits of:
1-1750kg
2-3200kg

Suggesting max overall weight of 4950kg.

not exactly clear what is allowed or where the excess 300kg comes in.

Any expert suggestions/clarifications please ?

Thanks, james

The 4600 is the fully loaded weight of the vehicle. The 6000 is the train weight ie the van plus trailer. The two axles added together are higher than 4600 which is normal to allow some tolerance on each axle.

The unladen weight ie the vehicle as it stands empty is not normally shown on a weight plate.

Last edited:
Your MAM is 4.6t.
You weighed around 4240kg at the MOT last year.

The MOT this year shows your van 300kg overweight
ie 4.9t.
You reckon you've not added any significant weight
since last year.
Go back to the MOT Examiner and tell him you're giving
him an advisory on his braketester/weigher!

Either you've added a lot more stuff than you think, or his
equipment is u/s.

Actually the 360kg you had as spare last year isn't much
add a passenger, fresh water, full fuel, a tin of beans
and it's gone unless that is you already had these aboard
at the weighin of course.

I had no idea they weighed them during the test

When they test the brakes they drive an axle at a time into a pair of rollers these
incorporate a weigh facility. After the 2 two axles have been 'done' they may give
you print a out, add the 2 set of figures together and you have an idea of total weight.
But not necessarily an accurate figure because the vehicle is at an angle when it drops
between the rollers.
Probably why the OP was given an advisory and not a fail, because of angle inaccuracies,
and perhaps the machine hasn't been calibrated/certified for years.

Some MOT tester may step in and put me right :bow:

When they test the brakes they drive an axle at a time into a pair of rollers these
incorporate a weigh facility. After the 2 two axles have been 'done' they may give
you print a out, add the 2 set of figures together and you have an idea of total weight.
But not necessarily an accurate figure because the vehicle is at an angle when it drops
between the rollers.
Probably why the OP was given an advisory and not a fail, because of angle inaccuracies,
and perhaps the machine hasn't been calibrated/certified for years.

Some MOT tester may step in and put me right :bow:

Not all MOT stations have rollers with built in weight facilities, where I take my van they have onsite a certified weightbridge and the van was weighed on this couple of years ago and weight is recorded online which the tester logs into.

Not all MOT stations have rollers with built in weight facilities, where I take my van they have onsite a certified weightbridge and the van was weighed on this couple of years ago and weight is recorded online which the tester logs into.

No I realise they don't all have them. In fact a few years ago the MOT
garage I happened to frequent, the brake tester happened break down.
My brakes were tested using a Tapley Meter, remember them? Then the
garage boss said no more HGV motorhomes, they were stretching his
roller chains £10,000 to replace......miser :p
Half a dozen RVs and myself now have to travel miles.

Roller brake tester winding up and chewing a AWD, I didn't know
they used a Tapley Meter as a substitute these days, pretty crude.

I`ve always presented my motorhomes for MOT as light as i can easily make them.

Take out a lot of the items from the garage, make sure the water tanks ( fresh & grey ) are empty and no more than half a tank of fuel.

Never had any problems with weight and only once had a fail ( first one at 3 years old ) due to the bloody useless ALKO chassis handbrake cable.

Even from new the ALKO chassis handbrake only just passed the threshold by 2%, i have the paperwork ( pink paper from a sprocket printer ) to prove it :scared:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back