Hymer S700 1993

big tom

Can anyone with a Hymer S700 which has under the driver’s seat a wheel connected to two plastic pipes which individually go to the headlamps, when the wheel is rotated the head lamp beam is raised or lowered, the plastic pipes were filled with a blue fluid which looked like anti freeze, I would like to know what the fluid is so I can replace, I would think it to be some kind of hydraulic as turning the wheel must put pressure and release pressure to raise / lower the head lamp.

Hi Big Tom
I cannot help you I am afraid however if you go onto (facebook) and type in Classic Hymer group which is a fairly new forum and put your question there they are sure to know--you could also join (its Free).
they have about 750 members

bye for now
Freddie:D

Thanks watchthis I have tried the search on Facebook, Classic Hymer group it shows no results,is there anything else I can try,

I have the same on my 1991 Hymer but only one sides works. I have never bothered with it to tell you the truth, as its always passed the MOT (unladen), so probably more bother than it's worth.

the same thing is fitted to citreon relay as mine has it but it never worked so forget it as you will only play with it for a few time then wont bother

Thanks all, I have had this Hymer S700 for 18yrs it used to work then one of the plastic pipes broke and lost the fluid, like others on here I hardly ever used it so I will forget about it,still like to know to what the fluid was.

If you look at this thread the poster seems to also think it is antifreeze but suggests replacing it with silicon oil

The original fluid may have been anti-freeze, but silicon oil is an alternative. It comes in various viscosities and is used in shock absorbers on radio controlled cars – choose the oil with the lowest viscosity, which is 20wt. The silicon oil is thicker than the original fluid and the result is that the headlights will take a little longer to dip.

View attachment 30369

Thanks Tezza I will have a good look at that it is not short on detail,I thought it must be some kind of hydrolic oil.

Jon Avery commented on your post in Classic Hymers
Jon Avery Jon Avery 14 May 10:15
Your friend needs a very low viscosity silicone or hydraulic oil for these adjusters. I looked into repairing mine as the pipes had perished but after reading lots of information on them they are very fiddly to get working if damaged. Higher viscosity (thickness) oil wont damage the unit it will just take longer for the headlight to respond whilst adjusting. Hope this helps.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back