Hymer mercedes wont tick over

tim m154

Hello, I have a Hymer Mercedes 2.9 diesel S700 1993 that will not tick over when warm, does anyone know of a quick fix for this or will half to go to the garage.

Hello, I have a Hymer Mercedes 2.9 diesel S700 1993 that will not tick over when warm, does anyone know of a quick fix for this or will half to go to the garage.

Just food for thought, have you tried joining the free Classic Hymer group on Facebook, they have an immenseive knowlage of all things technical for all Hymers.

it might just need the throttle stop screw on the injection pump adjusting

can you keep it ticking over if you hold the peddle down a little bit , and is it running ok

If you have not adjusted any thing on the pump stops then it may well be its on the way out as at low speed it cannot give high pressure for a squirt into cylinders.
First though i would put some injector cleaner through it.

Presuming all filters have been changed that is the first thing I would do

If the filters were blocked it would be the higher rpm that would suffer,low end injectors or pump,a pressure test on pump will be required to prove this right or wrong,most diesel shops should have the gear to test.

Thanks for the ideas folks, turns out it was the fuel filter full of crud, only done about a thousand miles since last filter change but that was nearly two years ago, ruddy bio fuels caused the problem.

Thanks for the ideas folks, turns out it was the fuel filter full of crud, only done about a thousand miles since last filter change but that was nearly two years ago, ruddy bio fuels caused the problem.

some of the older mercs had a pre filter fitted in the pipe before the main fuel filter.
it might pay you to follow the fuel pipe back to check. it is just a plastic in line one
pushed in the pipe.

The second small fuel filter you can see if you remove the engine cowl in the cab. It is on the left towards the rear of the engine.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back