HSBC on line scam. YOUR ACCOUNT HAS BEEN CLOSED!

MykCamper

Please be aware that there is currently an on line banking scam with HSBC accounts, the email looks so genuine, which almost had me convinced it was coasher!
It was only when I arrived at the page asking for passwords and security details did the alarm bells start ringing!
Then phoned the bank which they con firmed it was a scam!
THE LETTER HEADING IS 'YOUR ACCOUNT HAS BEEN CLOSED'

The big clue with all such emails is that they're invariably addressed to 'Dear Customer/Dear Client ...' etc

A legitimate email can be expected to address you personally and usually has other information in the email such as a part of your account number, or a part of your postcode i.e. information that can only be known to an organisation with whom you have an account.

That doesn't mean that you shouldn't treat an email such as this without caution however ...

Review each carefully on their merits! And if in doubt, contact the organisation to query the email.

Can beat that had a telephone call saying they were from my bank and asked me for certain details one letter from post code and then one number from my date of birth.which I answered correctly I then asked who the were and they said from our bank and could they talk to me.my bank never phones up so I said with all these scams going around how do I know who you are,they said because I asked you these questions they say I'm from your bank both questions you could get of the net or from other sites.
So I put the phone down saying no thanks and phoned my bank making sure I had dialling tone and spoke to the same person that rung me turns out it was the bank phoning up to make a bank review.very diffucult to work out what is a scam and what is a genuine call

John d

I think this may be a good time to remind people, when getting emails purporting to be from your bank don't click on links in the email or use contact details from the email, use whatever means that you normally use.

and don't forget the new scam doing the rounds, if you invest about 10k you will get about 50p in interest if the bank has anything to do with it. :)

These scams do not bother me because ever since i discovered motorhomes i`ve been skint :scared: so they can`t take what`s not there :dance:

Well folks it's that time of year again , with all the internet shopping etc. some people do let their guards down when it comes to such scams as this . Like has been already said Do Not click on any links within these emails , they will invariably take you to a bogus site , where perhaps there is some spurious coding that could affect your machine i.e. key loggers , trojans or other malware .

Don't drop your guard !

Can beat that had a telephone call saying they were from my bank and asked me for certain details one letter from post code and then one number from my date of birth.which I answered correctly I then asked who the were and they said from our bank and could they talk to me.my bank never phones up so I said with all these scams going around how do I know who you are,they said because I asked you these questions they say I'm from your bank both questions you could get of the net or from other sites.
So I put the phone down saying no thanks and phoned my bank making sure I had dialling tone and spoke to the same person that rung me turns out it was the bank phoning up to make a bank review.very diffucult to work out what is a scam and what is a genuine call

John d

You could have answered anything to those questions and they would have said correct. They didn't need the net, you told them.

Mr. B.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back