How to remove habitation door and frame.

TrickyDicky

Free Member
Hi Guys.
Replacing my 15yr old fridge and what a nightmare, I'm sure Elnagh don't put these things in with any thought that one day they'll need replacing!

As well, I've now discovered the replacement I've bought (Thetford N4100) is 0.5cm wider (yep, less than 1/4inch, how silly!) than the habitation door frame. My fault, should have checked before I bought but too late now...

Question is, how to remove the frame? No obvious screws/bolts or whatever. It cannot be impossible but does anyone know actually how?

Any advice appreciated.......

Without knowing what your vehicle looks like could you not go through the passenger door?

Think i'd go through passenger door and remove passenger seat for the space at least it wont matter if it rains - or get any unforseen problems

It's not going to go through anything other than the main habitation door unfortunately.

Whilst how to actually do it baffles me at the end of the day how hard can it be....

i might be tempted ,considering how little extra you need , to put a bit of timber across the entrance , with a couple of folding wedges at one end ,then gently tap the wedges with a hammer to see if the doorway will give a little ,then spring back . this could work [or a scissor jack ]

Problem (almost) solved but thanks all for the great ideas.
I might try wedging the door frame to get it through and pray it'll spring back after as thats easier than dismantling the frame.
But for anyone who might need to know how the frames are attached, here's the answer, at least in my case.
On the inside of the frame there's a rubber cover strip. When I bent this back to see what it was hiding all was revealed.
Spaced around the frame are screwed-on grip plates (probably not the right name but it'll do) that hold the frame into the body of the van.
It's not going to be the easiest job but if I take the door off to lighten the load and find another pair of hands to help, its do-able.
Next is to work out how to dismantle the furniture to let me get the fridge out of its built in unit...without taking an axe to it in a show of temper and frustration!

Reactions: Sid
Could it be possible, to recruit a mobile caravan repairer to remove, the frame and possibly fit the fridge.. I use one and his prises are very reasonable.

Think even with the frame removed you will struggle to gain another 5mm of space - if you go online with the old model fridge and put in the details for the fitting instructions you should be able to find the mounting points/securing instructions or an exploded view of it might help you remove old unit

Normally fridges slide out of their housings . Inside the fridge are probably about 4 plastic bungs that cover fixing screws through the side of the fridge into its housing cab. Remove these after disconnecting gas and wiring from the back of the fridge normally accessible through the external vent. Vents normally have little sliding clips to hold on place. When you move fridge out get a helper. Not that heavy but b awkward and lots of delicate scratchy bits and very little clearance. Photo all connections before removing. Also use 2 spanners if ness on the gas conn. One to hold and one to turn

It would help if you told your van and model or pics. as the first reply asked for people to help. Now you know how your door comes of. If doing that apply a buttyrub. Butyle non setting sealer you can get a tape in it also on before putting back on. Add some extra screws for strength. Put your rubber insert that covers screws in hot water to make it easier to go back on it will stretch and need to be cut. You might use a. Spray bottle with soap and water to make it fit easier. The rubber us only cosmetic. Still no pics of fridge and surround:mad: to work out how to dismantle it might be the full carcass comes away. But I'm now guessing. When you work out how to dismantle the carcass.IL assume there's a vent or two outside for the fridge can you remove them for someone outside to help push. Unfortunately your finding out companies build to sell not to replace or fix. Keep the troops posted

Hi Guys.
Replacing my 15yr old fridge and what a nightmare, I'm sure Elnagh don't put these things in with any thought that one day they'll need replacing!

As well, I've now discovered the replacement I've bought (Thetford N4100) is 0.5cm wider (yep, less than 1/4inch, how silly!) than the habitation door frame. My fault, should have checked before I bought but too late now...

Question is, how to remove the frame? No obvious screws/bolts or whatever. It cannot be impossible but does anyone know actually how?

Any advice appreciated.......
Remove the doors from the fridge, I had to when I replaced a Thetford N145 with a 4145 and also the electrical panel, it's not too difficult

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back