How to empty an underslung gas tank ?

master

Hi
we need to empty our tank before the van goes on a boat to USA. Anyone any suggestions ? We only have water heater and 2 rings so it will take ages to burn through the gas

Hi
we need to empty our tank before the van goes on a boat to USA. Anyone any suggestions ? We only have water heater and 2 rings so it will take ages to burn through the gas
There are only two ways possible burn it off or transfer it. Propane and butane are both heavier than air and pose a real danger if released into the atmosphere, which I am sure you are not considering. As for transferring I doubt if that is possible. Though I may be wrong there. But you would need refillable cylinders and proper connectors.
Maximise gas use for the water heater by emptying the boiler is all I can think of whilst running the two burners to the max under supervision with a window opened. I assume you don’t have an external point. I also assume we are talking about an underslung tank.

Last edited:
Take it out and put up on a 2/3 ft hight above ground, open the valve and let it go, do this outside and away from anything, you could transfer to another bottle and save the gas.

I doubt if you can transfer it. Transfer only works if you can invert the donor tank so pressure transfers liquid, without much loss of temperature differential. I cant imagine how you invert your underslung tank

Personally I would just undo the fill hose on the tank in the middle of nowhere and just let it go. Now awaits the tuts, shakes of heads, and cries of you can't do that. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Personally I would just undo the fill hose on the tank in the middle of nowhere and just let it go. Now awaits the tuts, shakes of heads, and cries of you can't do

Personally I would just undo the fill hose on the tank in the middle of nowhere and just let it go. Now awaits the tuts, shakes of heads, and cries of you can't do that. :eek: :eek: :eek:
Your right you can't do that Non return valve in the tank

You could try contacting Autogas 2000. They fit underslung gas tanks, so may be able to advise on emptying. It may actually be cheaper to remove the full tank and fit an empty one. I would also check exactly what they require for shipping. An “empty tank” will still have gas in it which is a potential hazard. Generally, there is a requirement to purge the tank with an inert gas to make it ”totally” safe.

Why did I not think of that.
Well maybe because propane being heavier than air can remain under and around your van for as long as an hour after it has been released. So any electrical equipment still live which is not intrinsically safe could ignite the gas. And starting your engine could lead to you needing a new van, or worse.
But then possibly this was meant to be humour, who knows. :unsure:

Well maybe because propane being heavier than air can remain under and around your van for as long as an hour after it has been released. So any electrical equipment still live which is not intrinsically safe could ignite the gas. And starting your engine could lead to you needing a new van, or worse.
Will be fine. Just empty at the top of the hill at the end of Trev street. :)

Do you know at times it makes me wonder how I ever survived a lifetime working in coal mines and the chemical industry. Just lucky I guess. ;)

Do you know at times it makes me wonder how I ever survived a lifetime working in coal mines and the chemical industry. Just lucky I guess. ;)
Me too, and I witnessed when your luck ran out. I used to rescue folk like you, well sometimes it was to late. ;)

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back