how to change maximum load weight as we are over

mhairic

We have a 1990 G reg merc 208 D with a Elddis Autocirrus conversion.
The plate says its maximum load weight is 2800
Got it weighted yesterday with no water in tank, no fuel in tank
empty fridge, 2 adults and minimum belongings in it
The weight .... 2780, cant beleive it, still have our 2 great danes to go in!!!
got home and managed to get another 50kg out, but no way we can go away at this weight as would mean going with no food, water fuel etc

Can anyone tell me what our options are, only need it up to a maximum of 3500 as thats all my licence allows me to drive too.

We live in central Scotland so looking for a local ish solotion, have heard we could do something to the suspension, but not sure what

Also the tyres look quite thin compared to our old camper van, they look like they should be thicker. they are 185 R 14C 102/100 Q
does anyone know how i can find out if these are the correct size for the converstion on the Merc.
many thanks to anyone who call help
Mhairi

hi think you will hve to change the springs to 308 merc ones . svtec will know .speak to gareth . i can never understand why they ever built that model on the 208 . its daft . had a friend that did it a few years ago .put 308 springs on and got it uprated . not cheap but you may be lucky and find some seconhand springs .or possibly have another leaf put in yours . sv tec are the boys to know . cheers alan.

Driverite air suspension doesn't' allow you increase the GVWR of the vehicle.
Don't change tyres until after you upplate the vehicle as you'll probably need to upgrade the tyres particularly the weight rating ie at the present time you have a 102/100 rating.

Last edited:
There are quite few differences between the 208 and 308 T1 Mercs, the front axle king pins will be larger, springs front and rear, torsion bars will be bigger, brake proportioning valve on the rear axle, tyres options on the 308/309 are 205R14 215R14 and 235R14 to get upto the 3500kgs GVM - I think the rims are different as well so you may not be able to fit larger tyres. The engine may not comply with Kw/tonne requirements. Diff ratio may have to be looked at to maintain gradeability on a hill start.

Maybe have a good hunt around the vehicle to try and find a cause for the overweight - water ingress into coachbuilts is not uncommon and its not hard for plywood and insulation to soak up a few hundred litres of water.

hi think you will hve to change the springs to 308 merc ones . svtec will know .speak to gareth . i can never understand why they ever built that model on the 208 . its daft . had a friend that did it a few years ago .put 308 springs on and got it uprated . not cheap but you may be lucky and find some seconhand springs .or possibly have another leaf put in yours . sv tec are the boys to know . cheers alan.
Many thanks for your reply, will give them a ring and see what they say
Thanks again mhairi

Driverite air suspension doesn't' allow you increase the GVWR of the vehicle.
Don't change tyres until after you upplate the vehicle as you'll probably need to upgrade the tyres particularly the weight rating ie at the present time you have a 102/100 rating.

Thank you for your reply. Will now wait to see about the tyre change until i sort out the weight issue
thank you again

There are quite few differences between the 208 and 308 T1 Mercs, the front axle king pins will be larger, springs front and rear, torsion bars will be bigger, brake proportioning valve on the rear axle, tyres options on the 308/309 are 205R14 215R14 and 235R14 to get upto the 3500kgs GVM - I think the rims are different as well so you may not be able to fit larger tyres. The engine may not comply with Kw/tonne requirements. Diff ratio may have to be looked at to maintain gradeability on a hill start.

Maybe have a good hunt around the vehicle to try and find a cause for the overweight - water ingress into coachbuilts is not uncommon and its not hard for plywood and insulation to soak up a few hundred litres of water.
Thank you for your reply
i can see this is not going to be as stright forward as i had hoped. try to get the weight issues sorted out, then look at the tyre issue. thank you again

I email SV Tech asking for advice on changing the permited load carrying capacity of my van a good few weeks ago but didn't recieve a reply back from them :(

hi ,i always say ring its much better .try 01772621800 ask to speak to gareth marsh. i find that e mails never get answered but a phone call gets al i need . think many motor trade places work better by phone . we certainly did . let us know how you get on . cheers alan.

I'm amazed that a company can legally and ethically uprate a vehicle without actually inspecting it.
Even more amazing is that the regulatory authorities are ignoring the situation.

hi tony . its possibly that they have done several before or have a known mechanical knowledge of the vehicles . there are set things to do to some vehicles . we use to lower 10ton dafs . all you had to do was raise the bump stops . i know it sounds daft but it was an agreed thing to do with vosa. it cost 500quid the first time to gain the knowledge ,after that you just copy the design .took it to a test station ,with the plate chaulked in yellow and it passede . now we only have to send the papers to dvla . its accepted we do the same to all. job done. (we lowered from 10ton to 7.5ton.), once you do a regular thing its accepted and we have a kind of agreement with vosa and dvla . there are several big companies like sv tec in uk . but i just found svtec to be most helpfull . i have dealt with others , dvla at swansea can give you a list of aproved chassis altering companies . some vehicles are built in the factory to a higher weight spec. but lowered at ther time of regestration. a good company as a lead into the factory specs and can give information from the chassis number. or have info from the makers what to do to upweight . /down weight. sometimes its just a voluntary exercise. i regularly give mini artics a new voluntary gvw and as long as i,m downplating its ok. i can voluntary up back at anytime no probs.
cheers alan.

Last edited:
Hello
I'm in the process of uprating my Rapido 707F from 3300Kg to 3500Kg. I have a weighbridge near my home and just out of curiosity I went there on the way back from France fully loaded and found I was about 20Kgs overweight.
email steve@svtech.co.uk He will send you the forms to download and print off.Mark your forms enquiry and he will tell you exactly what your vehicle would require and the cost etc.
In my case its only a paper exercise and they supply a new VIN plate and a letter to send to the DVLA. Costs £240 plus Vat.
Good luck

As I mentioned before, I had emailed SV Tech but received no reply. VW Alan suggests that I phone & speak to Gareth Marsh which I will do this week.

I was at the Motor home show yesterday & had a word on the Elddis stand to a man who I was told was one of their technical people & asked if there was anyway of replating my 120 higher towards the 3500kgs limit. He answered no, can't be done as all the Elddis range have been given type approval and that next year all vans will need this. I assume that he means all new vans will require type approval. He suggests that if I require a greater payload buy a 140.

I somehow didn't beleive what he was telling me as if you are willing to do enough work and spend enough money thenany thing can be done. (Not that I am willing to spend a large amount & have a lot of work done to achieve this up rating as it would not possible be cost effective).

I will wait & hear what SV Tech advise.

Pete

every modern vehicle needs type aproval. as done for years. the only ways round it is certificate of conformaty by the manufacturers . (chinese m,bikes need these)or have an sva test. this as been going on for years . type aproval started in 1978 1st april .for cars ..motor homes built after oct 82 need it and first used after 1st april 1983.applications for type aproval could have been made since1st oct 1981.
there is a great list of exemptions but m,homes arent in it. even with type aproval the gvw can be changed . think best not buy elddis if thats there attitude. ring speak to gareth . he is really mustard on it. i was first told to speak to him by dvla at swansea . if you do get probs pm me i have a no. for a desk in swansea but dont like giving it out over the web .i,m sure most things are available . but yes sometimes a change of vehicle can be a cheaper alternative. i can never understand how so many coachbuilts were built on so small gvw vehicles. someare 6 birth but cant carry that many people never mind their clothes and food. blame the camper builders . cheers alan.

I don't think that ECWVTA (European Community Whole Vehicle Type Approval) applies to new types of motorhome till 2011 and to existing types till 2012, but most major manufacturers will already have it in place.

I'm not sure about the implications of type approval when it comes to increasing the MTPLM above the manufacturers specification, I have a feeling that it might be necessary to have an IVA (Individual Vehicle Approval) inspection.

I'll ask VOSA...

AndyC

there should be no implecations . but if its regestered over 3,500 kg you get cheaper road tax.
andy i got my info from david lowes transport managers hand book . not saying you are wrong . but it is a real good guide . cheers alan.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back