How much gas for 6 weeks in Spain?

V1nny

We are off from Scotland to Spain (via England & France) next week. We plan to be away for 45 days because that’s the maximum on my travel insurance. We will be using gas for the Dometic fridge/freezer, water heating, cooking on a gas hob, and an external barbecue point.

I have 3 x 13kg Calor gas bottles, and I know there isn’t an exact answer, but my question is, does 39kg of gas sound like enough for about 7 weeks away.

That’s good news. We haven’t been abroad since summer 2019 and I can’t remember what we used on previous trips.

Ill bet you wont even use half of it. I think thats nearly 80 litres. You probably wont need the heating on unless you are going really high up and towards the back end of August. Reckon a litre a day maybe tops.

I'm not as confident as Barryd

When it comes to gas planning I use the following based on Manufacturers specifications and personal experience.
Cooking - 350 ; Fridge - 400 gram per day .
So 750 g per day for 45 days = just under 34 kg. If all your cylinders are full to start with you have 39kg. So only 10% contingency.

Hopefully you will eat out a few days and save some cooking gas, but on the other hand you will also use a fair bit for showers and washing up.

The big gas guzzler is the heating. I estimate 1 kg a day in England in September.

Worth making a note when the first one runs out, to give you an idea how things are going.

BTW check your insurance. On mine the clock starts ticking the day you leave home and doesn't stop until you get back there, it isn't port to port.

The only time I have ever needed heating in France in mid summer was very high up in August in the Alps and I think that was unusual and just for an hour or two. Ill eat my hat if he uses more than two bottles.

We use a single induction hob when on EHU. Saves on gas and heats up the kettle very quickly. SWMBO has found you can use two pans on it and it works.

We use 6kg in a fortnight but we have a diesel water/CH unit. My guess is you'd be fine but a lot will depend on how thirsty your BBQ is and how much you use it( ours drinks gas but use it maybe once a week) and how often you're on EHU.
Just keep an eye on your usage during the first bottle and adjust your cooking/eating out from there on IF need be. I reckon you'll have plenty.

We are off from Scotland to Spain (via England & France) next week. We plan to be away for 45 days because that’s the maximum on my travel insurance. We will be using gas for the Dometic fridge/freezer, water heating, cooking on a gas hob, and an external barbecue point.

I have 3 x 13kg Calor gas bottles, and I know there isn’t an exact answer, but my question is, does 39kg of gas sound like enough for about 7 weeks away.
Such a pity for both of us! We are emptying a house in Western France and I have a 11kg [might be13kg] full Spanish Gas Bottle that I need to get rid of, but cannot [literally] give it away ... Even worse, we have to return to France no later than 1st August for the final house emptying and clean, and there's also a 6kg Calor Gas bottle that I also cannot give away [or transport back to Scotland]. If you can fit either in to your Van, even on the return journey [we'll be there until about 20th Sep], PM me. We're about 45 minutes from Fontenay le Comte A83

Steve

I'm not as confident as Barryd

When it comes to gas planning I use the following based on Manufacturers specifications and personal experience.
Cooking - 350 ; Fridge - 400 gram per day .
So 750 g per day for 45 days = just under 34 kg. If all your cylinders are full to start with you have 39kg. So only 10% contingency.

Hopefully you will eat out a few days and save some cooking gas, but on the other hand you will also use a fair bit for showers and washing up.

The big gas guzzler is the heating. I estimate 1 kg a day in England in September.

Worth making a note when the first one runs out, to give you an idea how things are going.

BTW check your insurance. On mine the clock starts ticking the day you leave home and doesn't stop until you get back there, it isn't port to port.
I don’t expect to be using any hasting, so that should help.

And thanks for the insurance tip, I wouldn’t have thought of that, so I will double check before we go.

The only time I have ever needed heating in France in mid summer was very high up in August in the Alps and I think that was unusual and just for an hour or two. Ill eat my hat if he uses more than two bottles.
I hope you’re right and I will let you know how we get on

Such a pity for both of us! We are emptying a house in Western France and I have a 11kg [might be13kg] full Spanish Gas Bottle that I need to get rid of, but cannot [literally] give it away ... Even worse, we have to return to France no later than 1st August for the final house emptying and clean, and there's also a 6kg Calor Gas bottle that I also cannot give away [or transport back to Scotland]. If you can fit either in to your Van, even on the return journey [we'll be there until about 20th Sep], PM me. We're about 45 minutes from Fontenay le Comte A83

Steve
Thanks Steve. I will keep that in mind for the return journey, although we may take a more easterly route on the way back.

When we were in Portugal a few years ago, I found a garage that refilled my Calor gas bottles.

Maybe we could find places in Spain where you can get Calor bottles refilled?

We did 28 days in Spain, getting down to Cartagena and Malaga in April a few years ago. We didn't eat out afaik and we didn't use all of the gas in my 10litre refillable, despite snow on one day. We mainly used aires but were on camper stops with EHU for 4 nights. I would leave two bottles at home, leaving more payload for other items ;) !

Gordon

Once you are on EHU you use hardly any gas in my experience. We ended up hooked up for six weeks the back end last year (might have been longer). I went to refill the Gaslow in Spring and we had only used five litres in that time. I was assuming the OP would be off grid all that time and if he is I reckon he will be coming home with a bottle and a half. We should place bets! :D

You can buy these at Intermarche in France sometimes from self service units as seen in pics connection via a UK Butane pigtail 29€ deposit 8€ 2 weeks ago if your lucky you may find mt one loose at self service so save the deposit
3.JPG4.jpg
These are the only gas ever used in 10 yrs first trip to France we went without any gas at all bought 2 on arrival

Last edited:
Opp's forgot one of them did us for 3 wks in France recently no ehu gas heating for 3 hrs at 3 nights still not MT

I would leave two bottles at home, leaving more payload for other items ;) !

Gordon

So 13 kg for 45 nights.. Under 400 g per day, which is less than the fridges uses !

Might be Ok if using a lot of sites with EHU, but for Aires & wilding sounds like a receipe for warm beer and melted ice cream.

Once you are on EHU you use hardly any gas in my experience. We ended up hooked up for six weeks the back end last year (might have been longer). I went to refill the Gaslow in Spring and we had only used five litres in that time. I was assuming the OP would be off grid all that time and if he is I reckon he will be coming home with a bottle and a half. We should place bets! :D

I also assumed off grid .

Can I have a bet that he ends up buying gas?

Hope he remembers to tell us how he gets on.

Back