How many MoHos/Campervans?

Geoff I just contacted my motorhome supplier.
They state that you can tow a caravan up to 7m in length exc the A frame.
So long as the combined MAM does not exceed 3500Kg.
They also state that this has been the case for as long as they are aware.
When you think of it Geoff, it makes no sense to apply this to a cat B license.
But I will phone my mate with what you state, just to make sure.

I bet this has been discussed before, but if so I never saw it and thoughts crossed through my wandering mind this morning...
(much better than thinking about the chemo I'm due this afternoon!)

So, here are some fairly recent stats:-

According to figures released by the NCC (National Caravan Council), 12,332 motorhomes and campervans were registered in the UK in 2016, compared to 10,572 in 2015 – a 16.6% year-on-year increase.
In the UK, it is estimated that there are in current use: 555,000 touring caravans. 365,000 caravan holiday homes. 225,000 motorhomes.

Out of a UK population of approx 65,000,000 that’s only a quarter of a million motorhomes, most of which are probably parked up at home or in storage for the majority of the year (with the exception of hard-core campers like Annie and those who are retired and using their campers a lot. These are not unreasonable assumptions, yes?

Think about it - owning a moho/camper it is still a comparatively niche market and there are many people who own mohos/campers who do not, and probably never would, ’wild camp’, so we who wild camp are even more of a niche market than the already niche market!

Sometimes I think we all worry too much and naval gaze to excess about how we go about wild camping in our vans and how we are perceived by the public at large. There can be a wee touch of paranoia about some of our discussions at times.

So, I’ve concluded that none of it is worth worrying and stressing about too much and we should just continue as before - i.e. enjoy our pastime as much and as often as we can afford to, in terms of both time and money, and long may both this website and it’s sister website continue to help us do so with their great communities and camaraderie!

Here endeth the sermon for today.. lol :)
Amen & amen!!😂

Checked online his car 1495kg, caravan 1450kg yes its tight only 550kg payload.
Is that MIRO/unladen weight or is it MAMs? It's the MAMs that matter (rather, the lesser of the sum of the MAMs or the MTW). For example, according to this rental site, the MAM of the (current?) C220 estate is at least 1930kg. The current Bailey Pheonix 760 has a body length of 6.3m and an MTPLM of 1627kg (and MIRO of 1447kg, which is close to the figure you cite). So add the two together and you get a total of 3557kg, which is more than allowed for any post-1997 category B licence. However, there is another issue here because a quick look around the net suggests that earlier C220 estates have a towing limit of only 1500kg. Your friend might want to check the legality of that outfit...

Hi Geoff I have informed him about your concerns.
His son is abroad right now and he said that they will look into this on his return.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back