How Do You Know?

antiquesam

People are constantly reporting "no overnighting" signs going up, quickly followed by someone else saying the sign has no legal standing. Is there a definitive way of knowing whether it is legal? I've heard it said that it should have a TRO number on it but in my many years of looking at signs I've never seen one.

I agree with everything said about the legality of many of the "no overnighting" signs but being in the right is little compensation if some idiot comes banging on your door at night asking if you can read!

Personally, I would only park in the vicinity of a "no overnighting" sign if I was desperate. I'd rather just move on and find somewhere else.

Phill

I agree with everything said about the legality of many of the "no overnighting" signs but being in the right is little compensation if some idiot comes banging on your door at night asking if you can read!

Personally, I would only park in the vicinity of a "no overnighting" sign if I was desperate. I'd rather just move on and find somewhere else.

Phill
But knowing you can or can't would be useful. Whether you obey or ignore it is another matter.

I parked here yesterday to load my car with some goods,i was in rear of shop and came out to find a ticket on screen,i cornered the bugger and ask why,he said cars have 5 mins and trucks 10 and you should have left tailgate open,i pointed out leaving a unlocked car in NI is eligal and futher more no time limit on signage,he then agreed but said to late as ticket sorted and you will have to go through procedures of complains,im now going to send them a bill fore my time wasted doing so,anyone think i have a chance.

signage b.jpg
signage a.jpg

Worth a try Trev. Why is it illegal to leave a car unlocked? You have shown the front of shop with signage, were there no signs at all at the rear?

Phill

We have parked near signs on a couple of occasions, one was a crude homemade hand painted sign well away from any houses and located in a rural car park, The second occasion was at the rope museum in Hawes, I arrived late in pouring rain, wasn't feeling too well and needed to rest. Fell fast asleep and woke in the morning to the sound of a car arriving, decided to quickly leave, turned the ignition on and the headlights came on automatically, scaring the hell out of a warden stood against my bumper writing a ticket. Quickly reversed and shot off before he could stick it to the windscreen.:)

I agree with you though, there is no point in winding up the locals, nor having your sleep disturbed.

I parked here yesterday to load my car with some goods,i was in rear of shop and came out to find a ticket on screen,i cornered the bugger and ask why,he said cars have 5 mins and trucks 10 and you should have left tailgate open,i pointed out leaving a unlocked car in NI is eligal and futher more no time limit on signage,he then agreed but said to late as ticket sorted and you will have to go through procedures of complains,im now going to send them a bill fore my time wasted doing so,anyone think i have a chance.

View attachment 75521View attachment 75522

Wow how many steak bakes were you picking up😋

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back