HOW DO YOU DISPOSE OF YOUR RUBBISH in southern ireland

Discoduck

Free Member
This is a post I put on the Craic site . 4/6/16
and some replys.

Well half way round the WILD ATLANTIC WAY route only problem we have encountered is disposing of our bags of rubbish.We did find a dustbin lorry who was on his rounds who allowed us to throw our collection on his lorry. Everywhere is so pristine but no litter bins to be found.Where do you dispose of your rubbish bags. :'(
Rgds. dd.
A problem resulting from household bin charges.
In Europe where communal bins are provided from local or central taxes, instead of house to house collections, there is no problem finding a bin and Aires have their own bin.
Here public /communal bins can't be provided because they would be used /abused by locals trying to avoid collection charges or pay by weight charges.

Keep an eye open for one of these info here hope you find them on your planned route :up:

Failing that it's visit a site every few days to re-charge etc.

We keep ours til we have a bin bag full and then take it to the nearest recycling/waste centre. It's about 3 euros I think.
If you do find a litter bin do not put any household waste in it as there is a big fine!.
................................................................................................
Most garages have small bins that will take a small bag of rubbish, and some garages have those pay for rubbish closed skips that you can use.
............................................................................................................................
Back home now so all sorted .but drove through Wick low Mountains on Friday, pulled up at a viewing point high up in the mountains only to have the beautiful view spoil`t by ripped open bags and bags of house hold rubbish spread all along the bank. Is this the result of the removal of rubbish bins . I fear there will be a lot more dumping of rubbish in out of the way places ,which we wild campers will get the blame for.
rgds.dd

When we stayed at Ayr on the sea front we watched as car after car dumped rubbish one from a car with a young boy and girl dump nearly a full bag of chips,people opening their car doors and putting out tea/coffee cups and empty pop bottles out,and there is ample rubbish bins there some were sitting opposite bins!!! As we said there was a few vans there when the cars move off the vans were left we would get the blame lazy@#$¥**

When we stayed at Ayr on the sea front we watched as car after car dumped rubbish one from a car with a young boy and girl dump nearly a full bag of chips,people opening their car doors and putting out tea/coffee cups and empty pop bottles out,and there is ample rubbish bins there some were sitting opposite bins!!! As we said there was a few vans there when the cars move off the vans were left we would get the blame lazy@#$¥**

We saw similar last month when we were there. Unbelievable really. That and the noisy boy racers saw us off!

You can dump free in n/ireland at any council tips but the stuff must be seperated ie plastic cardboard s/foam paper,unless like me i watch to the not looking a fling it.
There are also bins on about every 12 lamp post and in all car parks so no prob.

We saw similar last month when we were there. Unbelievable really. That and the noisy boy racers saw us off!

We only heard the boy racers for a few minutes as there was about 6 vans including us parked up nearest the Indian restaurant and a few further on they must have been sick when we were all there!! Haha but we stayed there last year and there was only us and again we didn't have any bother with them

You can dump free in n/ireland at any council tips but the stuff must be seperated ie plastic cardboard s/foam paper,unless like me i watch to the not looking a fling it.
There are also bins on about every 12 lamp post and in all car parks so no prob.

The irony is that street bins were removed/reduced after the IRA planted a bomb in a bin in Warrington town.

The irony is that street bins were removed/reduced after the IRA planted a bomb in a bin in Warrington town.

That seamuses tribe not mine ,yes and belfast had them removed for the same thing but there back as we are almost back to normal whatever normal is.

The Republic have a system where you pay for your bin to be emptied. If you don't then you have to find a way of disposing of it. You can take it to the rubbish dump but you have to pay PER BAG so you find the biggest bags you can which just happen to be wheelie bin bags. You can also walk round the streets with your rubbish looking for bins that don't have a padlock on them. Most people seem to whip them in smartish once emptied. They also charge you for other rubbish you want to get rid of and weigh your car on the way in and then on the way out.

They also do other odd things as well like having officials walking up and down traffic que's checking what's in the diesel tanks. If it comes out red you have a real problem.

As above, the expectation is that householders employ a private provider to empty their bins. Domestic waste disposal in Ireland is privatised. Typically you will have several different companies driving huge lorries around the same route all claiming to be saving the planet.

When we toured Ireland in a motorhome a few years ago we found getting rid of our domestic waste to be the single most frustrating aspect of the experience. We have visited just about every country in western Europe and most of eastern europe in a motorhome, and from a wild camping perspective IMHO Ireland is by far the most difficult country to dispose of your rubbish. I can only recommend getting rid of waste in small quantities regularly, recycle glass, plastic and cans, if you use campsites occasionally, take the opportunity to dump rubbish there.

We now live here, out in the sticks. These private bin companies all refuse to drive down the long unadopted road near our house. We have managed to get by through a combination of recycling bring banks, burning garden waste etc (though even that is verboten), composting and that leaves us with one small bag of food packaging and wrappers every week, which gets binned outside the supermarket from whence it came.

I would film them and let the police know

I would film them and let the police know

If I'd had my phone with me I would have done it discreetly (with us staying there) and notified them, but they have the motor that comes on a morning to clean up the mess these dirty b**99ers leave where as we used the bins the same as the other Motorhomers that stayed there.

1712470721121.jpeg

Attachments

• guEQYSBt.jpg
    guEQYSBt.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 9
I've been watching this couple touring Eire mostly wild stops and they had the same problem disposing of their waste but show the solution in one of their videos possibly one of the links above

How the hell did you find a post from 2016 at twenty to one in the morning? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
I decided to do a search using Google, and this was one of the first hits...

(I'm going to Ireland for a couple of months shortly. Thinking of buying a house there...)

Looks like an expensive solution if you don't generate much domestic waste and don't want to haul it round for a couple of months while you try to generate 2x80 litres. :(
Cheaper than staying on a site for the night!

I decided to do a search using Google, and this was one of the first hits...

(I'm going to Ireland for a couple of months shortly. Thinking of buying a house there...)
Dont buy a newish home as 90% afected by mica content in the building blocks, buy north as not far to nip over to N Ireland.

Back