How do I test this switch?

You know the switch is good but is there power to it?
After that check does the power get to where it's supposed to be?
And then is that unit properly grounded?
If the heater has been working okay recently the problem is most likely to be a poor connection somewhere.
With basic circuits checked you can then consider the working bits.

you really need to check you have voltage at the switch, both sides when on. LEDs do below.
I am concerned my fluke doesn't read low enough voltages as it wont read a voltage off the D battery so getting a cheap little tester that will do lower voltage (y)

Hi Tookey. Fluke make excellent Multimeters so I'd be surprised if it didn't read low voltages. I know you said the D batteries are new but do you have any others you can test the meter on like an AA battery out of a torch you know works for example? It may be that the meter is fine but the D battery isn't (and therefore the cause of the problem).

Hi Tookey. Fluke make excellent Multimeters so I'd be surprised if it didn't read low voltages. I know you said the D batteries are new but do you have any others you can test the meter on like an AA battery out of a torch you know works for example? It may be that the meter is fine but the D battery isn't (and therefore the cause of the problem).
Thanks for reply Allan, it's only a voltage tester so I'm not convinced. I have checked the battery on a battery/continuity tester

Attachments

• 20210419_163758.jpg
    20210419_163758.jpg
    441 KB · Views: 83
Got my multi meter; batteries are both measuring 1.6V, they are in parallel and measuring 1V across the terminals. I am getting no voltage at the switch. Any further thoughts welcome

20210419_162856.jpg

The unplugged wires go to a digital screen which doesn't come off the face plate, hence why they are unplugged
20210419_162446.jpg

Got my multi meter; batteries are both measuring 1.6V, they are in parallel and measuring 1V across the terminals. I am getting no voltage at the switch. Any further thoughts welcome

View attachment 96552
That's a problem then, 2 x 1.6v bats in parallel should be reading 1.6 Volts ! Are they in the right way round? Or something is shorting/dragging the voltage down.
What make is the boiler , is there circuit diagram on the cover?

That's a problem then, 2 x 1.6v bats in parallel should be reading 1.6 Volts ! Are they in the right way round? Or something is shorting/dragging the voltage down.
What make is the boiler , is there circuit diagram on the cover?
Thanks yeoblade; they are the right way round and there is no visible corrosion, the boiler is only about 15 months old as the vendor put a new one in for us when we bought it in Jan 2020. I will check again for brand but not convinced it is badged and no wiring diagram

I don't know if the following comment is relevant at all but anyway ....

I went to start up my Fridge on the gas yesterday and it wouldn't work. Need to follow a specific process each time it failed to light until it started up on the 4th or 5th go. I think the problem was just lack of gas in the pipe after being unused for so many months?
Could your gas heater be not working for a similar reason possibly and not have an actual fault? (gas is not my forté so don't know if that is likely).

I don't know if the following comment is relevant at all but anyway ....

I went to start up my Fridge on the gas yesterday and it wouldn't work. Need to follow a specific process each time it failed to light until it started up on the 4th or 5th go. I think the problem was just lack of gas in the pipe after being unused for so many months?
Could your gas heater be not working for a similar reason possibly and not have an actual fault? (gas is not my forté so don't know if that is likely).
Hi David,

I went down that route first as I had exchanged my cyclinder. If I remember the advice I found on the net it was to open and close the tap repeatedly to clear any air in either gas or water. When I undid the gas pipe it did smell of gas

I know it's sort of after the event but if you feel you could do with having a handy multimeter I can recommend this one, although the supplied leads are a bit on the short side.

Cheers

H

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back