How about this gadget for wifi anywhere in the world for day pass fee

We had BT broadband but will not have a contract after Oct.

Then a FON spot is not for you and a mifi device or tethered phone may well be your best option.

If you have broadband at home, particularly if it's not with BT, then a FON device is a great option - small box that you plug into your broadband, and which creates a 'FON Spot' - the idea is that it's collaborative: you let people share a small amount of your bandwidth and, in turn, you become a FON member and can share other peoples' for free.

It really took off when BT started building FON Spots into their routers, which were enabled by default (though you could turn them off if you could be bothered), also SFr in France signed up which means France is littered with FON Spots.

Only problem is, you can't buy the box any more, though they do turn up on eBay.

As @Hairydog says: armed with a long-range wifi aerial, such as the iBoost from Motorhome WiFi, you can then often find a FON Spot and get online for free.

I built my own equivalent to the iBoost using a Ubiquiti Nanostation, a 12v PoE injector and a TP Link Nano-router, so it provides a hostspot in the van to which I can attach phone, tablet, Laptop, Raspberry Pi. Though unless you understand NAT and IP Routing i would advise getting the iBoost.

Then a FON spot is not for you and a mifi device or tethered phone may well be your best option.

If you have broadband at home, particularly if it's not with BT, then a FON device is a great option - small box that you plug into your broadband, and which creates a 'FON Spot' - the idea is that it's collaborative: you let people share a small amount of your bandwidth and, in turn, you become a FON member and can share other peoples' for free.

It really took off when BT started building FON Spots into their routers, which were enabled by default (though you could turn them off if you could be bothered), also SFr in France signed up which means France is littered with FON Spots.

Only problem is, you can't buy the box any more, though they do turn up on eBay.

As @Hairydog says: armed with a long-range wifi aerial, such as the iBoost from Motorhome WiFi, you can then often find a FON Spot and get online for free.

I built my own equivalent to the iBoost using a Ubiquiti Nanostation, a 12v PoE injector and a TP Link Nano-router, so it provides a hostspot in the van to which I can attach phone, tablet, Laptop, Raspberry Pi. Though unless you understand NAT and IP Routing i would advise getting the iBoost.

You can still use the Fon network if you are a BT Mobile customer however (runs from £10 a month). They provide a Wi-Fi app for that, but I am pretty sure I could connect direct instead (working from memory as not had BT Mobile for a while). I can't recall if I tried those BT Mobile credentials to connect to Fon via the Nanostation or not (I had BT BB at the time anyway)

Oh right! Used to use BTfon app ...did not realise there was a device. Oh well, back to the mifi 😏

More MIFI talk ..

Well this is how the story unfolds. We've been fed up of being held hostage to fortune by the Tech companies, so a year ago we went with Virgin for their package: Broadband Only Deal and we did away with our landline (funnily enough, we never missed those PPI calls we were always getting !)
For this we paid £18 a month, fine. It's due for renewal and of course they want £27 now.
What to do ? We're away so much what's the point ?
So EE gave us this deal: Two year contract for the MIFI and it costs £25 a month. 10 devices can use it and it's fast, we download hour long programmes in 6 minutes and the best thing about it is you just pop it in your pocket and take it with you wherever you go ! The allowance is normally 30GB per month but as we're already customers they doubled it to 60GB but to get that deal we had to go through to their disconnection team (my mobile iPad sim was due for renewal and they did it as an upgrade). To be honest I think 30 GB would have been enough for the two of us. You can take the MIFI and use the allowance in the EU , plus loads of other places, even in the USA but the limit abroad is reduced to 15GB per month. The device has 50 hours on standby and five hours heavy usage but most people just charge it up overnight at the same time as their phone. When we're at home we just leave it plugged in like a normal home router.
Phew ! What's not to like ?
Just PM me if you want to hear anymore about them.
4GEE WiFi Mini | Pay Monthly 4G Mobile Broadband | EE 1DF1CE02-59DE-4C39-86A2-A20BE55D7CD3.jpg

Well this is how the story unfolds. We've been fed up of being held hostage to fortune by the Tech companies, so a year ago we went with Virgin for their package: Broadband Only Deal and we did away with our landline (funnily enough, we never missed those PPI calls we were always getting !)
For this we paid £18 a month, fine. It's due for renewal and of course they want £27 now.
So EE gave us this deal: Two year contract for the MIFI and it costs £25 a month. 10 devices can use it and it's fast, we download hour long programmes in 6 minutes and the best thing about it is you just pop it in your pocket and take it with you wherever you go ! The allowance is normally 30GB per month but as we're already customers they doubled it to 60GB but to get that deal we had to go through to their disconnection team (my mobile iPad sim was due for renewal and they did it as an upgrade). To be honest I think 30 GB would have been enough for the two of us. You can take the MIFI and use the allowance in the EU , plus loads of other places, even in the USA but the limit abroad is reduced to 15GB per month. The device has 50 hours on standby and five hours heavy usage but most people just charge it up overnight at the same time as their phone. When we're at home we just leave it plugged in like a normal home router.
4GEE WiFi Mini | Pay Monthly 4G Mobile Broadband | EEView attachment 58357

That looks like a good deal. Have you used it in the EU?

Pat

EE Home BB

4GEE WiFi Mini | Pay Monthly 4G Mobile Broadband | EEView attachment 58357

Just joined EE home broadband which worked out at about £9.50 per month (total cost) on an 18 month contract.
Once settled in I will see what price they will offer on this as an existing customer; thanks.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back