Hope to save some money on gas from now on...

CarlandHels

We are so lucky. Our oldest son and girlfriend and our youngest son have just clubbed together and bought us 2 Safefill 10kg cylinders..
They must be very popular as everywhere had sold out and had waiting lists but couldn't tell us the timescale to get them. So we ended up getting two from Amazon which have come from Germany. Same price and they came with loads of fittings for different filling stations..
We've registered them via the safefill site and all good so far...

We've just been and put the recommended 15ltrs in each cylinder for the first fill, it cost just over £20 for 30 litres.
What a saving as we were paying £26 for a 13kg propane cylinder once a week, which I think holds approx 22ltrs. Although some feel lighter than others. You just have to take there word for it that they're full when you buy them.
Even on the freezing nights we got last winter we would normally get 6 to 7 days/nights out of one cylinder. But just now and again we would get a much lighter feeling cylinder and would get between 3 and 5 nights out of it. Which is so annoying as you can't really take it back and say that it's not full.

At least now not only can we see how much gas we have in these new Safefill cylinders and just top up as and when needed. Which means we wont be returning cylinders back with a little bit of gas in them again. As sometimes we have changed the gas over before we go to bed knowing that it wouldn't see the night through, as you'll know there is nothing worse than getting up first thing on a frosty morning and the first job is to go outside to change the gas over. For me it was to lift the empty out of the gas locker and then lift the new one out of the garage to swap them over. So that's the other bonus, as these 10kgs Safefill fit snuggly in our gas locker, but the 13kgs wouldn't.

So It's a win win hopefully..

How many others use Safefill and how many are thinking of changing to them.

We are so lucky. Our oldest son and girlfriend and our youngest son have just clubbed together and bought us 2 Safefill 10kg cylinders..
They must be very popular as everywhere had sold out and had waiting lists but couldn't tell us the timescale to get them. So we ended up getting two from Amazon which have come from Germany. Same price and they came with loads of fittings for different filling stations..
We've registered them via the safefill site and all good so far...

We've just been and put the recommended 15ltrs in each cylinder for the first fill, it cost just over £20 for 30 litres.
What a saving as we were paying £26 for a 13kg propane cylinder once a week, which I think holds approx 22ltrs. Although some feel lighter than others. You just have to take there word for it that they're full when you buy them.
Even on the freezing nights we got last winter we would normally get 6 to 7 days/nights out of one cylinder. But just now and again we would get a much lighter feeling cylinder and would get between 3 and 5 nights out of it. Which is so annoying as you can't really take it back and say that it's not full.

At least now not only can we see how much gas we have in these new Safefill cylinders and just top up as and when needed. Which means we wont be returning cylinders back with a little bit of gas in them again. As sometimes we have changed the gas over before we go to bed knowing that it wouldn't see the night through, as you'll know there is nothing worse than getting up first thing on a frosty morning and the first job is to go outside to change the gas over. For me it was to lift the empty out of the gas locker and then lift the new one out of the garage to swap them over. So that's the other bonus, as these 10kgs Safefill fit snuggly in our gas locker, but the 13kgs wouldn't.

So It's a win win hopefully..

How many others use Safefill and how many are thinking of changing to them.
I would say most Wilders have refilable , I have gassist underslung tank .not big about 20 lts compared to 6klg callor the saving is huge it's so much more convenient to keep topped up not messing with refils. Only down side is the gauges are crap.

I would say most Wilders have refilable , I have gassist underslung tank .not big about 20 lts compared to 6klg callor the saving is huge it's so much more convenient to keep topped up not messing with refils. Only down side is the gauges are crap.

That's one reason I like these, you can see the gas you have...

When I installed Gasit this year my main aim was to be able to travel Europe inc UK without the hassel of having different bottles and regulators never really thought about the saving which obviously is very nice .... but convienence was upper most in my mind...and boy am I pleased I had it fitted ...My system comprises one refillable and 1 Spanish bottle.

When I installed Gasit this year my main aim was to be able to travel Europe inc UK without the hassel of having different bottles and regulators never really thought about the saving which obviously is very nice .... but convienence was upper most in my mind...and boy am I pleased I had it fitted ...My system comprises one refillable and 1 Spanish bottle.

These come with all fitting for Spain, France etc.. Two bottles but that's no hardship as your filling one and the other is next to it so fill that if needed so no bother. Much better than carrying others about all the time. No lifting anymore, just fill as if it's an underslung tank. The best thing is If I change the van I just lift them out and put them straight in the new van there is no work to do or money to loose like there could be if anyone has to leave there gasit / underslung systems installed etc..

These seem to be money saving and convenient all in one...

Might get one of these for the Bq and just top it up when I’m filling gas low tanks in van was gonna fit an adapter to van but like these.👍

Seems good

We went for Gas-it in 2014
2 x 11kg with manual change-over
In the summer 1 tank lasts 2 to 3 weeks so then change to 2nd lank and aim to refill (both) about 1 week later.
The convenience is great..We also have a BBQ point as part of the installation
Average fill up cost about £20 and about once a month

Average yearly saving on calor at least £250 x 4 years =£1000 (plus)
Installation was £600

Even if the savings were not as good I would still have it done for the convenience (Mainland Europe) and the greater capacity

A bit like SOLAR..."best thing since sliced bread"

gasit.jpg

Why do they recommend just 30 litres for the first fill? I'm struggling to think of a reason not to fill them up till the cutout stops at 80% full, to make sure it is working properly. In fact I'd say it was an important test step when installing. After all, you may never have completely empty cylinders to start with again .
Depending where you are, you may be able to find LPG at as little as 54p per litre (£1.08 a kilo) so 30 litres would only cost £16.20. LPG prices vary widely: it is well worth finding out where the low prices are.

Not sure why they recommend 15ltrs each cylinder for the first fill, but thought it best to do as they recommend. We will fill to the cut off next weekend when we refill. The next thing I want to get is a manual change over, Although thinking about it, since I can see the amount of gas left I could maybe fit an auto change over instead.
At the moment the gas in Castleford is 66.9 and we come back once a week to see the lads so it's covienent to fill while we are here.

It's just a nice feeling knowing we are no longer going to be robbed for cylinder exchange. Even though £26 is cheap compared to the majority of places. Up near Harrogate at the main calor dealers and most other outlets it over £30 and have seen it at £36 for a 13kg propane. So it's definitely a big saving.

I never worry about the cost of LPG. Biggest bill under £9.

But would yo be concerned if it was costing £26 plus per week? Over winter we never turn the heating off as we are living in the van, so it can get expensive...

Great choice You won’t ever go back, and you can take them to your next van when the time comes.

The next thing I want to get is a manual change over, Although thinking about it, since I can see the amount of gas left I could maybe fit an auto change over instead.

I'd stay with the manual change over TBH. The gauges on these are notorious. Easy to think you've plenty, then have a cold miserable night 'cos you believed the gauge. With the manual change over, you know you have an empty tank.
My set up is, 1x11kg refillable from Gasit + !x6kg Calor as spare. Both on a manual "T" piece. I open one cylinder at a time as required. Not strictly true, I make sure the refillable is refilled, using the Calor as emergency back up.
Stay well

Last edited:
I'd stay with the manual change over TBH. The gauges on these are notorious. Easy to think you've plenty, then have a cold miserable night 'cos you believed the gauge. With the manual change over, you know you have an empty tank.
My set up is, 1x11kg refillable from Gasit + !x6kg Calor as spare. Both on a manual "T" piece. I open one cylinder at a time as required. Not strictly true, I make sure the refillable is refilled, using the Calor as emergency back up.
Stay well

I was only thinking of the auto change because I can see the gas in the bottles rather than trusting a gauge. I know that through winter with the heating on 24/7 we will be using between 20 & 30 litres per week and no more than that. Each one holds 19.5 litres so it could change over once a week and then I just go and top up as and when needed... 6 & two3's really. as I will just nip out on an evening and if the gas is looking low just swap it over to the other bottle. The main thing is that I wont be sending bottles back that still have some gas in them.. What gas is there will always be used...

I was only thinking of the auto change because I can see the gas in the bottles rather than trusting a gauge. I know that through winter with the heating on 24/7 we will be using between 20 & 30 litres per week and no more than that. Each one holds 19.5 litres so it could change over once a week and then I just go and top up as and when needed... 6 & two3's really. as I will just nip out on an evening and if the gas is looking low just swap it over to the other bottle. The main thing is that I wont be sending bottles back that still have some gas in them.. What gas is there will always be used...

Hey Matey,
Sounds just the job to me, Well done to your Boys, It’s obviously a no brainier to my way if Thinking & will not only make your quality of life easier but will save you LOTS of money, & with that kinda gas usage for your lifestyle it will recoup the Innitial fitting cost of the system very quickly.

(Give The Dog a scruff from me matey)

Hey Matey,
Sounds just the job to me, Well done to your Boys, It’s obviously a no brainier to my way if Thinking & will not only make your quality of life easier but will save you LOTS of money, & with that kinda gas usage for your lifestyle it will recoup the Innitial fitting cost of the system very quickly.

(Give The Dog a scruff from me matey)

Cheers buddy.. Yeah we are well chuffed with them.... Oh the dog's had a scruff.. Maybe catch up again soon...

The big problem I see, if I were to change over to these bottles for my campervan, is that I know the only "loose" LPG seller within 15 miles of home is a Shell garage - and they aren't on the list of approved fillers that Safefill give. So I don't know whether I would be able to fill there or have to travel further afield - which costs me in diesel, thus negating some of the savings on the cost of the gas.

As I would still have to lift the bottles out of the van to fill, the only advantage I can foresee is one of money saving, and I think it would take quite a while to recoup the cost of the bottles. Plus I'd have to lift them in and out and do the filling, whereas the nice man where I usually buy my bottles does the heavy work for me when I smile sweetly at him.

I wish!

Even the smallest Safefill won't fit in my locker. I did have one previously and thought it excellent. So now I'm thinking of getting an underfloor tank fitted, but wouldn't you know there's no space due to a heating flue going across where you put the tank so that would have fo be rerouted. Pvcs, eh?

The big problem I see, if I were to change over to these bottles for my campervan, is that I know the only "loose" LPG seller within 15 miles of home is a Shell garage - and they aren't on the list of approved fillers that Safefill give. So I don't know whether I would be able to fill there or have to travel further afield - which costs me in diesel, thus negating some of the savings on the cost of the gas.

As I would still have to lift the bottles out of the van to fill, the only advantage I can foresee is one of money saving, and I think it would take quite a while to recoup the cost of the bottles. Plus I'd have to lift them in and out and do the filling, whereas the nice man where I usually buy my bottles does the heavy work for me when I smile sweetly at him.

Yes I know what you mean. Our Shell garage isn't on the list but I filled there with no problems at all... Although I don't need to take them out of the van luckily. So I just pulled up opened the gas locker and filled them up.

I did print out the info about them and carry that with me so I can show fuel stations that they are designed for forecourt filling and have all the info there for them. In fact I went to our local Shell garage yesterday and went inside before filling to ask the person serving. Her response was "i'm not sure as i'm not trained on it" so I replied by saying "ok well I will fill them then, as it's no different than a onboard tank".. She was fine with that..

To what I hear from others I've not heard of anyone having issues about filling them yet. Plus they are very light compared to the others..

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back