Honeymoon in Shetland

scotchjock

We are getting married 9th May, and then off to the Shetlands on the 11th in our Hymer, sailing from Aberdeen (only an hour from home). Although I've searched previous postings, I can't find any info. on the island. On the return, we will stop off on Orkney, (weather permitting of course)
Any advice on what to see and where to wild camp would much appreciated.
Liz & Roy

Not quite the answer I was expecting, but yes, I did get rid of the mice. A few bags of mothballs helped but stank the place out. A five-in-one 240v electronic device at £25.00 a pair off ebay has done the trick both in the van and in the house. I've also planted 4 bait boxes around the garden just to make sure

Last edited by a moderator:
Have a look at www.visitshetland.com for general tourist info. Wild camping is fine in Shetland (not THE ShetlandS, by the way) there are lots of quiet places off secondary roads where it is possible but if in doubt, ask at the nearest house, they may suggest a better place ! There are 24 hour toilet facilities at the inter-island ferry terminals (also hoses for filling up). Visit the islands of Yell and Unst, the ferry to Yell has to be paid for but the trip from Yell to Unst and return is free. There is a lot to see in these islands especially if you are interested in nature,archeology, geology, some great walks.
The road surfaces in Shetland are first class, the local council maintains the roads to a much higher standard than on mainland UK. Secondary roads may be narrowish but there are plenty of passing places.
Happy to answer any specific questions as I'm a local !

www.shetlopedia.com

Just had a look at the Ferry Fares.
Mid season works out around over £500 for 2 adults with 6.17 metre MH and a 2 berth cabin.
I cannot justify that spend at the moment.

Never mind the Ferry fares, the way diesel is going up (£1.35/l on the Hebrides) none of us will be able to afford to go anywhere.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back