Hobby motorhomes, anyone?

mariesnowgoose

There's got to be members on here with Hobby motorhomes, yes?

TBH I hadn't realised they did motorhomes, always thought they were just caravan manufacturers (duh!).

Anyway, some friends of mine who work for the Caravan Club, and have been full time livaboard caravaners for over 10 years now, suggested I looked at a Hobby motorhome as a full time vehicle.

Been trawling the net, eBay etc. and they have some older models which seem very reasonable and fall in our budget.

Any owners out there who can give me the honest lowdown, good points & bad?

Was looking at the 750/700 models, but just started checking them out properly so may be other suitable models too.

Thank you! :)

Me

Got a 750

Fiat Ducato based. 6 wheel and quite economical as it is more aerodynamic than over cab bed models.

Build quality inside is good. Roof is fibreglass one piece....like an upside down boat and is leakproof, providing replacement skylights are installed correctly.

Separate bedroom sink is nice. External bodywork is all sheet aluminium, so any rusty looking bubbles are nothing to worry about.

Not great on passenger seating. You can carry two beside the driver. So 4 berth in theory only.

Seats are very comfy Isringhausen captain chairs.

100 litre fresh and 100 litre waste. Mine has gaslow system, extra batteries and I can easily do 5 days in the wilderness before having to return for water and emptying of fluid.

I paid £10k for a 2000 year model 4 years ago

Mine is probably worth £13k today.

I am in Sussex if you wanted to have a gander

Snap with Possy.

Hobby 750, 2.8jtd 2005.

Had it for a year and a bit now and am impressed with the build quality. Compares very well with other top end German manufacturers.

PHGV being plated at 4.5ton which may be a consideration for anyone approaching seventy. Does about 25 mpg, £165 a year tax (I think), servicing around £300 this year. The tag axle provides great stability and as long as it is greased at every service should last the life of the vehicle. Lovely to drive, (we have just returned from a 3000 mile trip with no issues) but does require a football field to turn round in. Four belted seats.

I've even worked out how to make up the second bed using the lounge seats and single pillar table.

Don't know where you are but we are in south Cumbria if you're in the neighbourhood .

Cheers

H

Last edited:
Thanks both; winks you are a bit nearer in South Cumbria, may take you up on the offer in the not too distant? Will PM you at some point... thank you!

Thanks for the offer of a gander at yours too, mossy, but you're a fair distance from us (north County Durham!) :)

Got a 750

Fiat Ducato based. 6 wheel and quite economical as it is more aerodynamic than over cab bed models.

Are you saying it's gone up in value?! :scared:

I've never heard a grumble from Hobby owners.
I've just googled, Hobby Motorhome Owners Club.. It certainly exists.
Maybe you should have a shufti at it... They might have one for sale, near you?

A couple not too far from me bought a brand new w reg and full timed for about 13 years, somehow water found it's way into the floor, they ended up getting the full floor renewed, so be careful when buying.l do like the look of the early 750s and would certainly have one but be careful

A couple not too far from me bought a brand new w reg and full timed for about 13 years, somehow water found it's way into the floor, they ended up getting the full floor renewed, so be careful when buying.l do like the look of the early 750s and would certainly have one but be careful

I think water ingress can be a problem on any make of camper, and not always just with older models so it's definitely something to look out for regardless.

Would be nice to know how & where water actually got in, then you'd be able to take some preventative measures :)

There again, a new floor after 13 years of use is not such a bad thing?

Depending on how much it cost to repair, of course!

There again, a new floor after 13 years of use is not such a bad thing?

Depending on how much it cost to repair, of course!

From what I remember I think the water ingress came from a gully on the roof that had blocked with leaves further down somehow letting water in the washroom floor,it sounded odd to me.The floor cost £5000 which was a bargain apparently.Mark warrior did the job who does jobs for o learys in Beverley.

head over to ES Hartlys at Ings near Kendal they are hobby dealers,i have a vantana K60 but they have the full range of Hobbys and are good to deal with..

Caravan world, Hobbys highly thought of, winterised properly ,good build quality. downside popular for thieves especially the travelling kind..some sites wont take them for that reason

how this translates to motorhomes no idea, but needs to be considered perhaps.

Geist are another German brand in my opinion worth a look at whilst shopping about

Channa

Water ingress point is the arch over the two back wheels. Has to be taken off and resealed every now and then.

I paid far too little for mine, hence worth more now.

Roof does have two drain holes that enter inside the motorhome to then dump outside again. I blocked up mine.

Roof does have two drain holes that enter inside the motorhome to then dump outside again. I blocked up mine

Didn't know that Steve. Where are they?

Cheers

H

Got a 750

Build quality inside is good. Roof is fibreglass one piece....like an upside down boat and is leakproof, providing replacement skylights are installed correctly.

Separate bedroom sink is nice. External bodywork is all sheet aluminium, so any rusty looking bubbles are nothing to worry about.

Not great on passenger seating. You can carry two beside the driver. So 4 berth in theory only.

Seats are very comfy Isringhausen captain chairs.

100 litre fresh and 100 litre waste. Mine has gaslow system, extra batteries and I can easily do 5 days in the wilderness before having to return for water and emptying of fluid.

I am in Sussex if you wanted to have a gander

Hi, external sheet aluminium body work with Rusty looking bubbles is almost certainly water ingress, when it gets wet from the back and then dries and so on it starts to turn back to powder hence the bubble

We got our hobby siesta from es hartleys Ellesmere Port faults fixed new shower tray common , couple blind nets, oven door hinge and couple small jobs fixed myself based on a transit mk7 2013 but on 15 reg I change my oil & filter every 5000 miles fuel filter every 12 months paid less for it than what leisure drive near me sell their for Vw t5's for

Must be OK as the travelling community first choice caravans, and also for motorhomes now, beware of any on a transit chassis as it might disappear from you faster than you can run.

Hobby Toskana 650 - Johns Cross Motorcaravan and Camping Centre

Hobby Toskana 650

RRP:
£43,995.00
Your Price:
£39,995.00 (You save £4,000.00)
SKU:
UM162

Product Description

Fiat Ducato X250 130 Multijet 2287cc Turbo Diesel Manual

Layout: Single beds

Length: 22' 12" (7.0m)

Width: 7' 8" (2.33m)

Height: 9' 5" (2.87m)

Specification

This 2012 Hobby Van Toskana 650 Has,

3500KG Chassis

2.2L Turbo Diesel Engine

18,000 Miles

6 Speed Manual Gearbox

2 Berth

4 Seat Belts

Power Steering

ABS

EBD

Twin View Reverse Camera

Cab Air Conditioning

Cruise Control

Engine Immobiliser

CD / Radio

Electric Windows And Mirrors

Multi-Function Trip Computer

Remote Central Locking To All Doors

Pleated Concertina Blinds To All Windows

Fully Adjustable Swivel Captain’s Chairs With Two Arm Rests

100L On Board Fresh Water Tank

100L Waste Water Tank

Truma Blown Air Dual Fuel Central Heating And Hot Water Combi Boiler

Tinted Double Glazed Windows

Thetford Cassette Toilet With Electric Flush

Large Wash Room With Separate Shower

Rear Speakers

Fixed Single Beds

Cocktail Cabinet

TV Station

Blinds And Fly Screens To All Windows

Combined Oven And Grill

3 Burner Gas Hob With Electronic Ignition

115L Three Way Fridge With Electronic Ignition

Full Size Heki Roof Light

Status Digital TV Ariel

External Gas Locker For 2x 6KG Propane

External 240V Hook Up Point

External TV Point

Lockers To Under Bed Storage

Fiamma Security Handle

Leisure Battery

Spare Wheel

2 Rail Bike Rack

Removable Carpets

Omnistor Canopy Awning

Awning Light

Electric Side Entrance Step

Hobby Toskana 650 - Johns Cross Motorcaravan and Camping Centre

Hobby Toskana 650

RRP:
£43,995.00
Your Price:
£39,995.00 (You save £4,000.00)
SKU:
UM162

Product Description

Fiat Ducato X250 130 Multijet 2287cc Turbo Diesel Manual

Layout: Single beds

Length: 22' 12" (7.0m)

Width: 7' 8" (2.33m)

Height: 9' 5" (2.87m)

Specification

This 2012 Hobby Van Toskana 650 Has,

3500KG Chassis

2.2L Turbo Diesel Engine

18,000 Miles

6 Speed Manual Gearbox

2 Berth

4 Seat Belts

Power Steering

ABS

EBD

Twin View Reverse Camera

Cab Air Conditioning

Cruise Control

Engine Immobiliser

CD / Radio

Electric Windows And Mirrors

Multi-Function Trip Computer

Remote Central Locking To All Doors

Pleated Concertina Blinds To All Windows

Fully Adjustable Swivel Captain’s Chairs With Two Arm Rests

100L On Board Fresh Water Tank

100L Waste Water Tank

Truma Blown Air Dual Fuel Central Heating And Hot Water Combi Boiler

Tinted Double Glazed Windows

Thetford Cassette Toilet With Electric Flush

Large Wash Room With Separate Shower

Rear Speakers

Fixed Single Beds

Cocktail Cabinet

TV Station

Blinds And Fly Screens To All Windows

Combined Oven And Grill

3 Burner Gas Hob With Electronic Ignition

115L Three Way Fridge With Electronic Ignition

Full Size Heki Roof Light

Status Digital TV Ariel

External Gas Locker For 2x 6KG Propane

External 240V Hook Up Point

External TV Point

Lockers To Under Bed Storage

Fiamma Security Handle

Leisure Battery

Spare Wheel

2 Rail Bike Rack

Removable Carpets

Omnistor Canopy Awning

Awning Light

Electric Side Entrance Step

Many thanks for that, but unfortunately that's about £20k above our max budget ;) :)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back