Highways Agency Fraud?

must be easy to stick to speed limit if you do all your driving in a city , you probably never see a change of speed limit.

i went to the nearest supermarket yesterday... 5 miles on a straight wide rural b road , speed limit changes 7 times , 20, 30, 40. 50 and 60 in various places with no apparent difference in the road itself. irony is had i gone another route on single track country lanes with blind bends it would have been 60 limit 90% of the way

must be easy to stick to speed limit if you do all your driving in a city , you probably never see a change of speed limit.

i went to the nearest supermarket yesterday... 5 miles on a straight wide rural b road , speed limit changes 7 times , 20, 30, 40. 50 and 60 in various places with no apparent difference in the road itself. irony is had i gone another route on single track country lanes with blind bends it would have been 60 limit 90% of the way

It seems to me that the grey men/women are trying to micro manage every aspect of our lives, personally if things keep going like they are, then I'm going to seriously consider giving up driving.
But, I do realise that there're a lot of people out there that don't know as much about driving as they think!

Drive according to the conditions & know your car & how it behaves etc., is how I was taught.

Phill

i find it fairly easy to stick to the speed limit,my van is fitted with an accelerator,rural roads that may appear to be race tracks sometimes have low/changing limits due to local issues,ie kids riding bikes to school and in the winter are doing so in the dark/bad weather

so weve got a road going past a school... latest bright idea is a 20mph speed limit to protect the kids going to and from school,,, so the speed limit is there 24 hours a day 365 days a year, kids are going to and from school what 1 hour a day 200 days a year when the roads are so clogged with parents cars it aint possible to do 20mph anyway.

the quick easy answere to be seen to be doing something isnt always the most sensible

We have a 20mph limit on all side roads in Portsmouth, with signage at a cost of many tens of thousands of Pounds. What we don't have is anyone to police it. We do, however, have traffic wardens who ticket vehicles on those same streets between midnight and 7.00am.

i reckon that most who think the urban speed limits are too low and feel "unlucky" if they get caught would not speed about in their own local area,past their own local parks,local schools,local hospitals,local old folks homes etc but think it perfectly ok and acceptable to do so in areas where they would not be recognised and known.

i reckon that most who think the urban speed limits are too low and feel "unlucky" if they get caught would not speed about in their own local area,past their own local parks,local schools,local hospitals,local old folks homes etc but think it perfectly ok and acceptable to do so in areas where they would not be recognised and known.

We live opposite an infant and junior school and believe me the worst offenders are the parents.

Unlikely the LGV was speeding as they are usually limited by law....
and by the looks of the aftermath the Micra had been hit square in the rear....

I suspect the Micra was close to or stationary before being impacted from the rear
And I have my suspicions are (from the looks of the seating/and seat belts) that had seat belts been worn there would have been less in the way of fatalities.

Driver of the LGV medical incident/fallen asleep/on phone etc etc ????

The five who perished in the crash were all in the Micra along with another passenger who survived with serious injuries, i find it strange that the truck driver should be charged as the Micra should not have been carrying that many people and certainly would not be equipped with enough seatbelts,,, only my thoughts,,,

The five who perished in the crash were all in the Micra along with another passenger who survived with serious injuries, i find it strange that the truck driver should be charged as the Micra should not have been carrying that many people and certainly would not be equipped with enough seatbelts,,, only my thoughts,,,

well maybe they should only charge the truckdriver with killing four people.

We have a 20mph limit on all side roads in Portsmouth, with signage at a cost of many tens of thousands of Pounds. What we don't have is anyone to police it. We do, however, have traffic wardens who ticket vehicles on those same streets between midnight and 7.00am.

We have the same 20mph limit around here and nobody takes a blind bit of notice of it :mad2:

The roads around here are crawling with police as i live 2 minutes from the Lancashire Constabulary Headquarters Lancashire Constabulary - Police Headquarters - Hutton

I came back from a job near Spurn point on Friday.30 & 40mph limits the whole way back to Hull.Lots of people overtook me but the most surprising was an elderly gentleman passenger mouthing & gesturing swear words at me for doing 40 in a 40 limit!
I can't understand why people get so irate at someone doing the speed limit.
I think a lot of people have realised that the only way to avoid fines is to accept the limits on the road which might explain the new penalty structure for fines as if less speeders committing offences they have a drop in revenue and have come up with a different way to ensure the same income.
Either that or because people are too stupid to realise and slow down accordingly they are squeezing them harder to try and get folks to slow down.

From what I can gather the truck driver was arrested for death by dangerous driving because he was playing with his mobile phone at the time he ran into the back of the micra, yes the micra had six passengers instead of five which won't have helped matters, but had the truck driver been watching the road instead of his phone, then this would not have happened at all

there's a lot we don't know about the M6 accident, we don't actually know why the lorry driver hit the micra driver, we don't know why the micra driver was going slowly or stopped on the carriageway, we don't know how fast the lorry was travelling & we don't know why there was 6 people in a car made to carry 4, none of whom were wearing seat belts!

So it's best to wait till we know, before we start condemning anyone!

Phill

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back