high motorhome tax to be discussed in parliament 7-1-2020

The luxury car manufacturers got nowhere when the same tax was applied to their products so I am not holding my breath that there will be much sympathy for motorhomes. They will just say they are bringing them into line with other vehicles. Perhaps the whole system will get an overhaul sometime but I can’t see them doing anything special for motorhomes.

Sadly I agree, but it shows this government for what they are.
I just bought a new motorhome in June on a Euro 6 engine putting out 85ppm and I only paid £265
Now if you buy the new Euro 6D putting out only 50ppm you get hammered with excessive road tax.
So much for the environment, it's all about ripping us off.

The gov is short of money to hand to the ar--hol-s laying on the ass in free council homes with 6 unwanted kids,where i live its all over the place and sickens hard working folk who get screwed at every corner because they just can be,time for revolt,of with there heads.
revolution.png

Given the numbers the extra revenue it will raise is either trivial but more likely even less !
Usual problem..Give nurses/teachers/firemen/policemen/doctors more pay Oh No too many !
Give MPs more money/expenses/etc NO PROBLEM only 600 or so !

They have done the same with cars. The business has a Yaris Hybrid 2015 and a Auris Hybrid 2016 both £0 road tax. I have a Auris Hybrid identical but younger £135 a year. They realised that the goal posts were set to high so have lowered them. I think the only vehicles that qualify for free tax are all electric. It won’t be long before they find a way to tax them though. There is one in our family. Gets charged at work FOC. Mind you they are having falling outs now as they have 6 charging points and 8 electric vehicles who want to use them.

It is a first year tax, for the first owner. Along with the VAT. As with new cars, that hasn't stopped people buying those. Neither do I expect to repay that tax to the first owner if buying second-hand, even if only a few weeks old.

Intelligent dealers have their own ways around this, pre-registration, offsetting costs against tax, running them as demonstrators, buying the base vehicles at far lower prices than private individuals can negotiate, personal contract finance schemes etc.

Current thinking is explained here. Basically the motorhome manufacturers don't/can't/won't type approve their vehicles for emissions once they have converted them, so the default is, in the absence of any other information, to put them into the highest bracket when first registered, with the punitive gas-guzzler tax..

In subsequent years if registered as a motorcaravan then it's currently back to £260/year.

There can be no doubt that a heavily laden converted van will emit far more than the base vehicle such as an empty panel van. If I believed their figures the Euro 6 base version of my 5.99 metre Ducato running at 3.3 tonnes, should be doing 44.8 mpg and emitting 166 g/km CO2.

Since it's actually Euro 4 (more efficient probably but more particulates and NOx), and in real world use I'm lucky to do better than 30 mpg, which simple arithmetic says it's probably actually emitting at least 250 g/km. Which would put it in a very high tax bracket.

More precisely there are 722 g of carbon in a litre of diesel. If all that gets burned to CO2, that's an additional 1920 grams of oxygen added, totalling 2640 grams of CO2 per litre burned.

Hence my 30 mpg vehicle is in the real world, on a good day, emitting 251 g of CO2 per litre (correction, km) The same as my quick and dirty estimate. And that's just a 3.3tonne panel van, not a big boxy coachbuilt job perhaps running well over plated weight, with lots of extra stuff inside, even if the manufacturers had been honest about the realistic payload in the first place.

So you can see why MotorCaravan manufacturers don't want to acknowledge that driving big heavy things around emits lots of CO2 and have it there on the V5 and don't want to type approve them

If they were subject to the same rules as cars, which they would be if properly tested, it might be even worse, anything costing more than £40,000 list price has to also pay an additional £325 per year for five more years.

So that could be £2135 first year. Plus 5x £325. Plus 5x £145 over the first six years which I reckon is £6620 or £1103/year averaged over that period.

See https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-tax-rate-tables

If initially registered as a light commercial vehicle up to 3500 kg before and after conversion, the first year tax is probably much lower based on the manufacturers figures for the base van. Thence only £140/year.

Re-register it as a Motor Caravan after the conversion of a second hand, maybe just a "pre-registered" base vehicle and you might avoid much of this, I wouldn't know.

Just keep it registered as a van and save another £120/year, but then it wouldn't be a MotorCaravan.

That's how I understand it.

Last edited:
Demand for new cars continues to fall, and the political demonisation of diesel vehicles has ironically led to higher co2 emissions from new vehicles. Article

Demand for new cars continues to fall, and the political demonisation of diesel vehicles has ironically led to higher co2 emissions from new vehicles. Article
It was never about the emissions or the environment tho, was it? As usual it was market manipulation by a greedy government who don't care about the planet. Their only interest is taking money from the working man & lining their own pockets.

“Dash for diesel”, do we all remember being told to buy diesel because they emitted less CO2 and were better for the planet. The French even charged lower tax on diesel to encourage their citizens to buy diesel. At one point 80% of the cars in France were diesel.
But they failed to take into consideration nitrogen oxide and particulate matter, which were higher in diesel than in petrol. And the manufacturers produced vehicles with lower CO2 emission, without giving much thought to the other emissions. Not until euro 5 was a diesel produced with lower NO2 and particulate matter given priority.
Then we have the scandal of how these vehicles were tested.

But the bottom line it’s us who are now paying for these mistakes.

But what’s really galling is how those buying the cleanest diesels ever produced are being treated. Instead of paying less duty, they are being hammered, whilst the old polluters pay much less.

Let's be honest non of this is about the enviroment, it's about money. Take the London LEZ and inner city charges for instance, if they were really serious about lowering polution and congestion in the city they'd just stop vehicles going in altogether not let them if they pay :unsure:

Regards,
Del

Do you mean like this?

Regards,
Del

Meh, the cost of infrastructure doesn't change just because the cars are electric. More if anything. So, once the switch to EV is done, the environment is "saved" and there isn't any need to incentivise people to pick EV over fossil fuels. If you can even get them/fuel any more.

I don't know, that's why I'm not a politician lol.

The gov is short of money to hand to the ar--hol-s laying on the ass in free council homes with 6 unwanted kids,where i live its all over the place and sickens hard working folk who get screwed at every corner because they just can be,time for revolt,of with there heads.View attachment 75523
or to the heads? the smell should clear there heads, or " just one look", thats all it takes. ok pj p.s. this one's for you trev. x ok pj

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back