Hi! Hope to soon be a motorhome owning mostly wild camper (ABSOLUTE noob).

Jamie6533

Free Member
Hi all, I figured I'd lurked here long enough and even worse learnt a LOT from the forums and I mean proper *Lived Experience* from clearly very decent, kind people with ZERO agendas or products to try and flog. To try and be short which is not at all a skill I possess - I absolutely LOVE these kind of communities that are just full of people who want to help, it's awesome so thank you up front!!

I've always had a fascination with smaller or 'Tiny Homes' is I believe the latest buzz word BS. A perk of my dad working for an American owned car dealership meant we as a family got to borrow a US motorhome owned by the American franchise owner whom dad worked for, thus began my obsession with Motorhomes!! (Rather oddly..maybe, but camper and caravans and tents do nothing at all for me, but put an engine on the front of that caravan.....ohhh my).

Again without rivalling War and Peace I am now post divorce, selling my now too big house with zero commitments or (thankfully) dependents here in my home town just outside Birmingham, and am utterly burnt out of the career in IT that I sort of 'chose' due to having no clue what I wanted to do.

So with still no clue I intend to buy a used motorhome and tour at least the UK and maybe some of Europe to firstly meet people and see the amazing spaces in this lovely country and maybe I'll get lucky and find a clue to what I want to do to earn money, where and if I'm incredibly lucky maybe even someone looking to share my adventures! (SO not going to happen!!).

A bit TMI but I've spent too long NOT talking about mental health, a recent bereavement has shown me just how wrong this is. In as short as I can this 'Change EVERYTHING!!' approach of mine does have an additional hope attached. I've had some very rough experience with anxiety and depression, and after who knows how many hours and days and TEN different SSRI/SNRI and even an old Tricyclic Anti-Depressant over years and years that at best did nothing and at worst made me very ill, it seems our dear NHS has very few options for my situation, all of which sound even more miserable than my current circumstances honestly.

I could give up and gods knows I can totally understand from a purely intellectual point why people do, but as I've always tried to encourage when speaking with folks who are really struggling - real severe depression can actually 'free you' I personally believe. I figure if you are having to seriously consider the most permanent of endings then you also can lay everything on the table as something that CAN be changed if you see? We often have many things or places or situations that, by default almost we think we cannot change. Without suggesting that being suicidal is anything but the most utter misery, I have no intention of belittling people who are in this situation, my suggestion of 'freedom' means that in desperate times you must consider changing ANYTHING, hence my change everything 'plan'.

I do really hope that makes some sense to somebody at least as I'm very aware my description is very poor at best, the concept is very hard to put into words online without sounding glib or dismissive and I hope that my caveats have clearly stayed that glib is the opposite of my views on mental health and suicide.

Ah, enough on that. Too much info I suspect but I'll leave it, it is honest at least.

I hope this is not a complete Mickey Take to ask in an introduction thread but if anyone knows any good Used Motorhome dealers in the Midlands that have stock below 25K I would absolutely LOVE to know please!

I think that without any real experience I have too much choice weirdly regarding what MH to buy. I now have time and I think being able to view first hand possible purchases would be incredibly helpful to decide my own important criteria in a MH.

Wow I have waffled on wayyy too much sorry lovely to meet you all :)

Last edited:
Welcome Jamie,

At £25k you’ll most likely be better off looking privately than a dealer, once you find a van advertised do some research and identity the likely issues with that model and check these carefully, check service records, mot’s, HPI etc and haggle a lot.

As with any vehicle purchase be ready to walk away if it’s not to your liking, don’t carry or part with cash, don’t buy from anywhere other than the registered address on the logbook, meeting Paddy in a layby with folding money on the hip will turn into a nightmare faster that Trev leaving the pub when it’s his round 😉

Jamie,
Welcome and a great introduction, perhaps a story quite familiar to some of us....
For a new to you van, I would always first consider one that comes with a personal recommendation, you may want to check out the van for sale on here from Annsman, as it's right in your budget.
Otherwise, how about hiring one for a few days, to get a feel for what suits you, as there are so many options out there.
Very best of luck, and ask away for advice...

Hi and welcome from Co Antrim, as others have said keep dosh well hidden before looking at some vans, makes sure its owned by the seller from his address with no hp, look for damp and sevice history, also if not sure try getting a garage to look over it, if the seller wont go for this then he is hidding something, do if possable get one with some solar panels up top, not a problem if not but handy, good luck with whatever you go for.

1) Welcome aboard
2) Look at lots and lots of vans (including new ones even though your budget won't stretch hat far) to look at different layouts and decide what t=you want. Maybe go to shows.
3) Check the damp reports, if there isn't one say "thanks" and walk away.

Welcome. I Also worked in IT. Im semi retired and have been for years now but I keep a handful of loyal cherry picked clients as they are easy to look after and it pays well. May not be for you if IT has burned you out (I totally get that) but its good money and you can do it from anywhere. Just a thought.

As for the van. If you are going to be going long term or full time touring dont think too small. We have a now ancient Kontiki 640 which we have owned for 15 years. I wouldnt want anything smaller for two of us on long trips. Its 7.5 metres (six berth). Private as said may be the way to go but see a few, find the layout you want and narrow down the field. Biggest issue to look for is damp, so get it hab checked.

Decide what you want to do first, it will help decide the type of van.
Wild or rather free stops are easier in smaller and not white vans.
A lot of travelling will mean you need something with good mpg.
Very large vans are also a problem in car parks and Aires.
If you go to warm countries you only need it big enough for a bed and toilet. Hopefully you will spend most of your time outside.
Good luck, I hope you find what you want.

Hello Jamie.

It must be catching. After 41 years working in IT I could take it no more and quit at the age of 59. I'm now 12 years on and I've been making the most of my retirement travelling far and wide. I think you'll love it.

As for a companion try a dog! They love the travelling life and don't start arguments!!

As has been suggested above have a look at the Autotrail currently up for sale by @Annsman

Seriously good value...

Onr thing to think about is, do you want a folding bed into sofa or fixed, if just yourself id go folding sofa type which leaves more room in a small van.

Buy what you want and get devors mite be, divorced. It your van so let your partner make the big decisions. You just put beer in it

Hello and welcome aboard from another north County Durham-er.

Best of luck with your van search, plenty of experienced people to advise in here ;)(y)

Welcome from Birmingham.

Smaller motorhomes under 7m are better for wilding but is it possible to pick up a fixed bed layout in the smaller motorhome catagory for the £25000 budget?

We did plenty of wilding in the UK in our previous smaller motorhome but now we have an 8m plus job not so easy. Still OK in France and Spain though.

The other decision to make is coachbuilt or panel van?

Looking at local dealers you will be looking at motorhomes registered in the 2000 to 2008 period.

An option to consider might be to buy a newer commercial van and go for a self build conversion or even have it converted professionally. You then get a bespoke conversion to suit your needs. Can this be done for £25000 all in?

Wiser folk here might know the answer.

Hi, welcome! As others have suggested, look at everything, all the layouts and don't get drawn in to complex gadgets. Think simple, length, type of bed, shower / no shower, use YOU plan, and also upkeep costs. If fuel economy is important, a smaller van may suit.We did our van conversion with a professional for £12500 and the new, preregistered, van was £17000. So an older van and simpler conversion might be an option. Good luck, nothing beats the freedom of taking your bed and living space on the road with you.

I’m coming to this thread rather late in the day, but here’s my thoughts.

If you can, take someone along with you to view any ‘possibles’ who actually knows motorhomes and what to look out for and what may have been ‘disguised’ to sell it.

If you were to give an indication of your whereabouts, and then ask if there’s someone available to assist you to have a look around, for the cost of a few beer vouchers, it may help your peace of mind.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back