Here we go again - let's ban it

I don’t understand why they should say they are ruining the local economy, surely they are adding to the local economy.
Banning them would ruin the economy more.
And I see again that they are blaming the motorhomes for mess left behind.
They would do better finding a solution for somewhere for them to stay

Last edited:
I don’t understand why they should say they are ruining the local economy, surely the are adding to the local economy.
Yes they want you to go stay in there uncles campsite at 50 bucks a night. :unsure:

I think it must be built into there nature to complain and be awkward, many years ago we as a family took our caravan and stayed on a campsite in North Wales, I have never ever felt so unwanted in my life, Mark at the age of 11 was mad keen on fishing, we were told there was free fishing near Capul Curig, we new it was there but the garage, the shops, the out wood bound school would tell us where it was,when we went into the shops they would be talking in English and would revert to Welsh, ignorant barstewards, Mark at 11 and Jane at 13 ask what we had done to up set them, what do you tell young children at that age? we lasted 4 days and then went to the Lakes, they have never been back and have told their children what the Welsh are like, rather a very sad story but stuff the welsh(n)😠

I went through wales in my car and they were all nice to me,i did find that they dont like the english for some strange res,but then again we have a similar thing here between the iron rods and the chocolate bicys.

I think it must be built into there nature to complain and be awkward, many years ago we as a family took our caravan and stayed on a campsite in North Wales, I have never ever felt so unwanted in my life, Mark at the age of 11 was mad keen on fishing, we were told there was free fishing near Capul Curig, we new it was there but the garage, the shops, the out wood bound school would tell us where it was,when we went into the shops they would be talking in English and would revert to Welsh, ignorant barstewards, Mark at 11 and Jane at 13 ask what we had done to up set them, what do you tell young children at that age? we lasted 4 days and then went to the Lakes, they have never been back and have told their children what the Welsh are like, rather a very sad story but stuff the welsh(n)😠

Had exactly the same experience in '76 when we rented a farmhouse near Snowdon. I was 9, my sister 7 & we were treated like lepers! English being spoken till we opened our mouths then they started talking welsh. Since then I have only driven there when I needed to at work, much preferring Scotland now, beautiful country full of lovely people....

I have to say, as the OP, that my wife and I are both Welsh, we live in South Wales and welsh is my wife's first language. However, we too have experienced some of the, shall I say, parochial behaviour described in previous posts when in the North. There is an attitude that goes "we don't want tourists" and "we've got no jobs" but they don't see that the two are linked.
I do have sympathy with those in Snowdonia this year, however, who have had to deal with the influx of inconsiderate hordes.

From memory Aberystwyth councillors have a history of not liking motorhomes well before Covid.

I have to say, as the OP, that my wife and I are both Welsh, we live in South Wales and welsh is my wife's first language. However, we too have experienced some of the, shall I say, parochial behaviour described in previous posts when in the North. There is an attitude that goes "we don't want tourists" and "we've got no jobs" but they don't see that the two are linked.
I do have sympathy with those in Snowdonia this year, however, who have had to deal with the influx of inconsiderate hordes.

hehe Because you are welsh I’ve just read your post with a welsh accent in my head funny thing is every time I try a welsh accent it comes out Pakistani...😂😂😜

hehe Because you are welsh I’ve just read your post with a welsh accent in my head funny thing is every time I try a welsh accent it comes out Pakistani...😂😂😜

My wife is Welsh born In Cardiff im from London and she always says I speak Welsh in a Pakistani Accent isnt this strange 😂

That reminds me of when I went camping with my parents and brother and sister to Wales my parents and myself never forgot how he was treated and like you you would hear them talking in English and then revert to Welsh and then just look at you, and again like you we never went back paren always said lovely place pity about the people

My experience is the complete opposite.
Nine years ago I upped sticks, left Yorkshire, and moved to Wales.
They made me very welcome.....so much so I doubt I'll ever move back.

My experience is the complete opposite.
Nine years ago I upped sticks, left Yorkshire, and moved to Wales.
They made me very welcome.....so much so I doubt I'll ever move back.
It’s probably very different now, back in the 70’s you didn’t want to be English on your own in North Wales

I don’t understand why they should say they are ruining the local economy, surely they are adding to the local economy.

There are already plenty of places for the free-loading waste of space motorhomers to stay :)

They don`t want to spend any of their money staying on the wonderful campsites we have in the area :mad:

They would rather dispose of their litter ( disposable bbq`s, take away left overs, beer cans & bottles, pop up tents etc. etc. ) here there and every where o_O

They are the scourge of society and should be banned at all costs :mad:

It’s probably very different now, back in the 70’s you didn’t want to be English on your own in North Wales

I`ll second that, even as a delivery driver i had some unpleasant experiences back then o_O

The country wouldn`t be in the state it`s in with Covid-19 if them lot hadn`t been wandering around the country looking for free places to stay and spreading the virus !

The people of the South Wales valleys are some of the loveliest you could wish to meet. I love their turn of phrase, eg "Whose coat is that jacket?" and "You know that pub on a Sunday, it's like a Saturday!" and, overheard at baggage reclaim, "you know my black case, it's navy!" .Here's a joke that only works in in a valleys' accent. "What's the difference between a sock and a camera?" "Well, a sock takes five toes and a camera takes photos."

Oh dear! I'll get my coat, or should that be jacket.

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back