Help

Ooop.... sorry! I should learn to read things more thoroughly!

The degree symbol can also be found through 'Insert', then 'Symbol'.

Once you've got it, you should be able to assign it to any keyboard key of your choice. Like this...

Assign a shortcut key to a symbol or special character
Begin shortcut key combinations with CTRL, ALT, or a function key.

On the Insert menu, click Symbol.
Click the tab with the symbol or character you want.
Click the symbol or character you want.
Click Shortcut Key.
In the Press new shortcut key box, press the key combination you want to use. For example, press ALT+ the desired key.
Look at Currently assigned to to see if the shortcut key combination is already assigned to a command or other item.
Reassigning a key combination means that you can no longer use the combination for its original purpose. For example, pressing CTRL+B changes selected text to bold. If you reassign CTRL+B to a new command or other item, you will not be able to bold text by pressing CTRL+B unless you restore the shortcut key assignments to their original settings.

Click Assign.

PS Speaking of keyboard shortcuts, it's worth learning them if you don't already use them in Word. CTRL+I for italics, CTRL+S for save, etc. It saves a lot of time fiddling with the mouse! You can find them all in Help by just searching on 'shortcut keys'. Apologies if you all know all this already!

on the MAC it is º (fn plus alt plus zero)

Using a standard Windows PC keyboard you can get the degree symbol by using the 'alt' key plus the appropriate numeric code.

You must use the numeric keypad to type the numbers and have 'num lock' on.

The code for the ° symbol is 'alt' + '0176'. i.e. with num lock on, hold down the 'alt' key and type 0176 on the numeric keypad.

Codes for many other symbols can be found here: Windows Alt Key Codes

AndyC
Alt+248 works as well = °

Indeed, not right away, just on the last post prior to mine.

For some reason it came up under What's new, so I just updated it as the linky was dead.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back