Help

scotchsw3

I need some help! Can't find the degrees symble on my HP Presario CQ56.
Where is it on the keyboard ?:confused::cheers:

I don't have one on my HP Pavilion Lap Top either, someone posted how to get it once but it was far too complicated to bother with I thought, one way I found round it was that if someone posts a position with Co Ordinates I just copy and paste into Google Maps and it usually comes up on the maps.

On both my PC and laptop keyboards, it's above the 5.

Failing that, though, go to the 'Insert' menu on Word (if you're using Word) and then click 'Symbol'. You should find a % symbol in there.

PS Sometimes, if you type o/o (or 0/0) in, the software will automatically convert it into % as it's not a character stream you would normally otherwise use.

Last edited:
On both my PC and laptop keyboards, it's above the 5.

Failing that, though, go to the 'Insert' menu on Word (if you're using Word) and then click 'Symbol'. You should find a % symbol in there.

PS Sometimes, if you type o/o (or 0/0) in, the software will automatically convert it into % as it's not a character stream you would normally otherwise use.

It's not the % symbol that's wanted - it's the degree symbol ° - you can copy and paste it from here if you wish.

There's no easy way to get it using the keyboard sadly ...

It's not the % symbol that's wanted - it's the degree symbol ° - you can copy and paste it from here if you wish.

There's no easy way to get it using the keyboard sadly ...

Ooop.... sorry! I should learn to read things more thoroughly!

The degree symbol can also be found through 'Insert', then 'Symbol'.

Once you've got it, you should be able to assign it to any keyboard key of your choice. Like this...

Assign a shortcut key to a symbol or special character
Begin shortcut key combinations with CTRL, ALT, or a function key.

On the Insert menu, click Symbol.
Click the tab with the symbol or character you want.
Click the symbol or character you want.
Click Shortcut Key.
In the Press new shortcut key box, press the key combination you want to use. For example, press ALT+ the desired key.
Look at Currently assigned to to see if the shortcut key combination is already assigned to a command or other item.
Reassigning a key combination means that you can no longer use the combination for its original purpose. For example, pressing CTRL+B changes selected text to bold. If you reassign CTRL+B to a new command or other item, you will not be able to bold text by pressing CTRL+B unless you restore the shortcut key assignments to their original settings.

Click Assign.

PS Speaking of keyboard shortcuts, it's worth learning them if you don't already use them in Word. CTRL+I for italics, CTRL+S for save, etc. It saves a lot of time fiddling with the mouse! You can find them all in Help by just searching on 'shortcut keys'. Apologies if you all know all this already!

Last edited:
Using a standard Windows PC keyboard you can get the degree symbol by using the 'alt' key plus the appropriate numeric code.

You must use the numeric keypad to type the numbers and have 'num lock' on.

The code for the ° symbol is 'alt' + '0176'. i.e. with num lock on, hold down the 'alt' key and type 0176 on the numeric keypad.

Codes for many other symbols can be found here: Windows Alt Key Codes

AndyC

Using a standard Windows PC keyboard you can get the degree symbol by using the 'alt' key plus the appropriate numeric code.

The code for the ° symbol is 'alt' + '0176'. i.e. with num lock on, hold down the 'alt' key and type 0176 on the numeric keypad.

AndyC

The best way is AndyC's way.☺☺It is the quickest.

AndyC

That's very useful. Thanks for that link. I just tried it in word and it works. My daughters wanted it the other day for a maths project and ended up putting it in by hand.

Alison

...or just assign it to a single key, using the method shown. CTRL + ', for example.

But only if you're using Word ...

No good sadly for postings in threads unless you compose what you want to say in Word, then copy and paste.

In a similar vein is there a way to get a strikethrough (crossing out) without copy and pasting?

Ooop.... sorry! I should learn to read things more thoroughly!

The degree symbol can also be found through 'Insert', then 'Symbol'.

Once you've got it, you should be able to assign it to any keyboard key of your choice. Like this...

Assign a shortcut key to a symbol or special character
Begin shortcut key combinations with CTRL, ALT, or a function key.

On the Insert menu, click Symbol.
Click the tab with the symbol or character you want.
Click the symbol or character you want.
Click Shortcut Key.
In the Press new shortcut key box, press the key combination you want to use. For example, press ALT+ the desired key.
Look at Currently assigned to to see if the shortcut key combination is already assigned to a command or other item.
Reassigning a key combination means that you can no longer use the combination for its original purpose. For example, pressing CTRL+B changes selected text to bold. If you reassign CTRL+B to a new command or other item, you will not be able to bold text by pressing CTRL+B unless you restore the shortcut key assignments to their original settings.

Click Assign.

PS Speaking of keyboard shortcuts, it's worth learning them if you don't already use them in Word. CTRL+I for italics, CTRL+S for save, etc. It saves a lot of time fiddling with the mouse! You can find them all in Help by just searching on 'shortcut keys'. Apologies if you all know all this already!
I told you it was too complicated to bother with LOL

In a similar vein is there a way to get a strikethrough (crossing out) without copy and pasting?
There is the option to allow the code for strikethrough text (using ) but it doesn't seem to have been enabled for this board.

AndyC

AndyC

Joan has just got a new HP Pavilion g series. That keyboard does not have a separate number pad and therefore no num lock key either. The Alt key + numbers does not work in these circumstances. Any suggestions

Joan has just got a new HP Pavilion g series. That keyboard does not have a separate number pad and therefore no num lock key either. The Alt key + numbers does not work in these circumstances. Any suggestions
One solution for laptops without a number pad or num lock key is to use the on screen keyboard:

Start > All Programs > Accessories > Ease of Access (or Accessibility) > On-Screen Keyboard.

Alt codes can be input from there:

num lock > alt > code > alt

AndyC

One solution for laptops without a number pad or num lock key is to use the on screen keyboard:

Start > All Programs > Accessories > Ease of Access (or Accessibility) > On-Screen Keyboard.

Alt codes can be input from there:

num lock > alt > code > alt

AndyC

Hi Andy

Thanks for the keyboard info.

However the screen keyboard does not accept more than a single digit code. ie Alt + 1 to 9 If you try say Alt+128 it shows ☺28 Alt GR plus 4 on the normal keyboard does give € though. Alt GR + a gives á Alt Gr + e gives é the same applies for u i and o

I still cannot fathom how to get the degree symbol using the screen keyboard

Any Alt + 0 codes simply display as blank

If you use your menus to go to All programs --> accessories --> system tools --> charactermap, you will see a set of all sorts of symbols on there. Click on the degree symbol, then hit select...then copy. Then you can paste it into whichever application you are using.

Hi Andy

Thanks for the keyboard info.

However the screen keyboard does not accept more than a single digit code. ie Alt + 1 to 9 If you try say Alt+128 it shows ☺28 Alt GR plus 4 on the normal keyboard does give € though. Alt GR + a gives á Alt Gr + e gives é the same applies for u i and o

I still cannot fathom how to get the degree symbol using the screen keyboard

Any Alt + 0 codes simply display as blank

Odd, it works for me. The alt key should stay highlighted when you click on it the first time and while you type the numbers, then you click it again to display the symbol on screen.

Caspar's suggestion of using the character map works just as well and gives the possibility to add many symbols without needing to know alt codes.

AndyC

AndyC

Odd, it works for me. The alt key should stay highlighted when you click on it the first time and while you type the numbers, then you click it again to display the symbol on screen.

Caspar's suggestion of using the character map works just as well and gives the possibility to add many symbols without needing to know alt codes.

AndyC

AndyC

Thanks Andy & Caspar for your help. I will see if I can get the keyboard to work Andy. The Alt key did not stay lit as you said, but instantly put the character in instead of requiring the second alt. I am using Windows 7.

The character map method should resolve the issue anyway.

Thanks again for your assistance.

In Word "Ctrl and shift and +" will turn on superscript, then type o. Turn off superscript with "Ctrl and shift and +" again. - instead of + will turn on/off subscript.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back