Help please re correct size cable for Victron IP22 20a charger

Does David need to put 2 spray can tops under both cables then? One for +ve and one for -ve?
Which cap gets emptied into which battery?
I thought I had decent grasp of electronics but after speaking to you experts I realise it's not so simple.

Does David need to put 2 spray can tops under both cables then? One for +ve and one for -ve?
Which cap gets emptied into which battery?
I thought I had decent grasp of electronics but after speaking to you experts I realise it's not so simple.
OMG! maybe that is why you get the reverse polarity light on sometimes? I think a question to that forum is needed to clarify!!

Surely it’s only the negative you need to catch the electrons from?
I don't know Neil, aren't they negatrons on the negative side? maybe positive electrons go upward so the loop on the positive should go upward like a hump and the can cap upside down above it?
Gasgas is the ex-pert, he'll have the answer.

. . . .and don't forget that red electrons go down the + wire, and black electrons go down the - wire.

In A Level Physics at school we were introduced to the Cathode Ray tube. As the voltage on the anode was increased the green phosphors on the screen glowed brighter. The Teacher asked the class what we could conclude from this. One of the more intelligent pupils stuck his hand up and said 'Electrons are green'.
It's the sort of thing you never forget.

This is why 230v mains wires are brown and blue. They carry both + electrons and - electrons, very quickly and alternately so they can't be red and black any more since Brexit.
Apparently before they realised there were both positive electrons (plus-a-trons) and negative electrons (negatrons) they though there was only one kind which they simply called sultanatrons and is where we get the term current from.

Joking aside, when I had to go to work for a living, latterly I was designing large cabling installations for office blocks and factories. This included fibre optic cables as well as copper. When a cable tray was laid up the riser of a tall building and fibre optic cable was run up, they had to intall loops at regular intervals. This was because the actual fibres inside a multicore cable are loose, and the loops would stop them from 'hanging' down from the top and straining the connections.
We didn't have to loop the black and red cables though.
Who remembers the IBM Type 1 connectors? We called them Boy George connectors, because they were hermaphroditic. They plugged into each other, there was no male or female. A very clever design.

Joking aside, when I had to go to work for a living, latterly I was designing large cabling installations for office blocks and factories. This included fibre optic cables as well as copper. When a cable tray was laid up the riser of a tall building and fibre optic cable was run up, they had to intall loops at regular intervals. This was because the actual fibres inside a multicore cable are loose, and the loops would stop them from 'hanging' down from the top and straining the connections.
interesting. with conventional data cables the last thing you want to do is make round loops as that creates/allows inductance interference.
I recall many years ago investigating a problem with a printer outputing garbage randomly. Investigating the issue, I happened to notice the printer went wrong when a lift in the building was being used? lifting up various floor panels found the data cable from computer to printer, with the excess all neatly coiled up and lying on top of other cables (probably the power to the lift motors?). Uncoiling the cable and rearranging it so the excess went to and fro (and away from the other cables much as possible) cured the problem :) To this day I will never leave a cable coiled up in use and either remove or rearrange so it goes to and fro (probably a technical term for that?) and cable-tie it together.

We didn't have to loop the black and red cables though.
Who remembers the IBM Type 1 connectors? We called them Boy George connectors, because they were hermaphroditic. They plugged into each other, there was no male or female. A very clever design.

I was working in Holland for Lucent, and had to travel to Brussels to investigate random data corruption at a UTP installation there. I found cables laid in the same tray as the power feeds to the fluorescent lights and thought aha, that's it. I relaid the cables away from the lights and power feeds . . . . . .. but it didn't make any difference! Arrgh. I never found out what happened after I left.
At the Vauxhall factory in Luton where we were re-cabling the whole factory with UTP one day the production line ground to a halt and sirens were going off everywhere. Diesel engines were arriving at SRi bodies, tailgates to saloon bodies and so on. Of course, being the cabling guys on the job we got the blame, at first. Then they found that a fork lift truck had driven over a co-ax cable which was the old cabling system that was being replaced. How it got on the floor we don't know, but crushing the co-ax cable corrupted the data without actually breaking the circuit.

interesting. with conventional data cables the last thing you want to do is make round loops as that creates/allows inductance interference.
I recall many years ago investigating a problem with a printer outputing garbage randomly. Investigating the issue, I happened to notice the printer went wrong when a lift in the building was being used? lifting up various floor panels found the data cable from computer to printer, with the excess all neatly coiled up and lying on top of other cables (probably the power to the lift motors?). Uncoiling the cable and rearranging it so the excess went to and fro (and away from the other cables much as possible) cured the problem :) To this day I will never leave a cable coiled up in use and either remove or rearrange so it goes to and fro (probably a technical term for that?) and cable-tie it together.
The same effect occurs in large 'wire wound' power resistor components, as their description suggests the component is simply made from a long length of resistance wire which is wound onto a core capable of handling high temperature. They work great in DC applications but as soon as you start passing AC or audio through them they behave differently because they also have an inductive element due to the coiling of the conductor. There are several ways of getting round this but the simplest way is Bifilar winding where the resistance wire is doubled back on itself /folded in half before winding, the result is basically 2 windings in which the inductance component of the coils cancel each other out. If I ever have 'spare cable' that cant be shortened easily I always tidy it up using this method just in case.
330px-Bifilar_2.svg.png

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back