Help. Disconnected battery now problems

mike w

Just took out 2009 Boxer X250 out of storage and found rev counter, speedo and fuel gauge not working. Temperature gauge does work. Over the winter I removed the engine battery to charge. The battery was refitted about two weeks later. All fuses OK.
Lost for ideas as what to check next. Can't belive disconnecting power would have done this?

If its got a brain then it will require a plug in and reset, same happened to my car when I replaced the battery, still not properly sorted after 3/4 attempts.

Might be worth being in the van with doors shut and ign off then then give it a couple on mins and disconnect the negative battery terminal wait a couple of mins an reconnect it if it don't work first time try repeating it

Disconnected my car battery with the an electric window half open. After reconnection that window had a mind of it's own seeming opening and closing at will, and refusing to do when asked.

Buddy vehicles have a mind of their own these days I have to "reset" that window after searching google.

Not much help to you but maybe it will give you hope. Best wishes sorting it.

If battery was removed and charged early winter and replaced two weeks later it could be flat after running the alarm for a few months.

Does it start?

If not - Occam's razor means the first job is to test the battery voltage.

Read in my h book that a backup unit should be connected to battery wires before removing the main battery, also says do not use jump starters, total unbelievable cr-p in modern cars, all set up by makers, so you must go to an agent to have your wallet pillaged.

Read in my h book that a backup unit should be connected to battery wires before removing the main battery, also says do not use jump starters, total unbelievable cr-p in modern cars, all set up by makers, so you must go to an agent to have your wallet pillaged.
That is precisely why i have one of these.

I happened to read about this heads-up display product just now. It could be a workaround if you can't fix the displays or if it's going to cost a fortune.. It seems like it would cover everything that you report as not functioning (and more)
It assumes you have an OBD2 port to plug it into.
Suspect that if the "brain" has gone, then the OBD2 port won't have access to any data either.

Graham, excuse my complete ignorance here. But I take it you connect the clips to the same places you would when doing a jump start. But once you remove the battery you have lost the 12v supply, how does this gizmo work.
They like any jump pack connect to the battery cables, so you can remove the main batt and the car electrics still have power from the jumper unit.
Anyway time to go back when ford had it almost right.
angle box.png

They like any jump pack connect to the battery cables, so you can remove the main batt and the car electrics still have power from the jumper unit.
Anyway time to go back when ford had it almost right.View attachment 119050
So this unit is connected to another battery then Trev, and via the OBI port it keeps everything powered, I was wondering, cheers Trev. So you could connect it to a hab battery.

Just took out 2009 Boxer X250 out of storage and found rev counter, speedo and fuel gauge not working. Temperature gauge does work. Over the winter I removed the engine battery to charge. The battery was refitted about two weeks later. All fuses OK.
Lost for ideas as what to check next. Can't belive disconnecting power would have done this?
I have an X250 of similar vintage. I have removed the battery for an hour or so in the past with no ill effects.

What these vehicles are very prone to is poor earthing of the engine. This causes all sorts of weird problems. Try a temporary additional earth using a jump start cable or similar and see if the problems are cleared.

So this unit is connected to another battery then Trev, and via the OBI port it keeps everything powered, I was wondering, cheers Trev. So you could connect it to a hab battery.
Yes or if you have a starter pack then just clip to battery terms and then remove your old one and replace with new, once clamps are tight then take the starter pack of.

I have an X250 of similar vintage. I have removed the battery for an hour or so in the past with no ill effects.

What these vehicles are very prone to is poor earthing of the engine. This causes all sorts of weird problems. Try a temporary additional earth using a jump start cable or similar and see if the problems are cleared.
Yes I have done that on my van and in the past on some cars, very common problem.

Graham, excuse my complete ignorance here. But I take it you connect the clips to the same places you would when doing a jump start. But once you remove the battery you have lost the 12v supply, how does this gizmo work.
Sorry for my late reply Bill.

I see Trev hads already answred but i have a spare 12v car battery that i sit in the driverside footwell, plug the unit into the OBD socket under the dash then connect to the spare battery. you can then disconnect the engine / starter battery without losing any settings. Just remember that the leads you disconnect from the engine / starter battery still have power so what i do is to put a rubber glove over each lead to stop them shorting out.

My car is a VW so the engine battery is a stop/start AGM with battery code that needs recoding but i have OBDeleven for that, all other settings have been saved because there has not been any loss of power to the car.

I am pretty sure you would maintain the 12V "vehicle battery" support if you fitted a battery there whilst you were replacing the one under the footwell. The big +12V connector piece that fits onto the battery also has a direct connection to the jumper point (which is part of the under-bonnet fuse box assembly). and the battery ground goes right to the chassis of course.
So if you did that you would have no need for anything else like an OBDI plug or cigar lighter plug at all I don't think. The vehicle "brains" would have no idea the battery had been removed I believe?

When my fuel gauge went it was cured as I already suggested. Would a hud meet mot requirements if it had to ?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back