Help! Any talbot express experts out there?

ivanisafish

Can anyone stop me from tearing my hair out! Don't know much about mechanics. have intermittent problem with my Talbot Express, which when under load, starts kangarooing, backfiring and eventually cuts out. my friendly mechanic(who knows I don't have loads of dosh) has changed HT leads. rotor arm, spark plugs, distributor cap, fuel pump and ignition coil. Has cleaned carburettor. Says he doesn't think it's muck in the fuel, as filter is clean, also says it doesn't have fuel return pipe(or something) which I have read other people have problems with. He says it should be process of elimination, but not much more to eliminate and is looking at prices for new distributor. Any ideas anyone? I keep thinking problem is solved and it starts again

Talbot problem

I had the same problem with my Camelot and it was the contact breaker (points) becoming loose. Cured by resetting gap and applying screw lock to avoid them vibrating loose again.

It sounds like he has changed everything but you didn't mention the condenser and points, they are in the distributor and the condenser stops the contacts from arcing and burning out, when a condenser is failing it does cause backfiring but I am sure your mechanic will have changed them already

long time since i had a talbot ,but here goes .check to see if you have a black pipe from the inlet manifold to your distributor , its a vacum advance/retard for your timing as you accelerate it advances the timing of the ignition ,you could have a split in it. other wise it may be a fault with the distributor .is it back firing through the carb or exhaust .you could check the operation of your auto advance /retard mechanism if there is one by removing the dizzy cap and the pipe from the manifold and blow and suck and see if the base plate in the distributor is moving backwards and forwards.

Has it got a inline fuel filter?,If yes then change it as that is a common fault on getting blocked......

How long has the fuel been in the tank could this be suspect
Brilliant answers and help so far hope you sort it
Dizzy. Distributer
Trying to help

if its still on points and condenser which depending on its year i would suspect it has been changed over .its not expensive to have it changed to electronic .saves all that messing around with points ,its also more reliable too . my old beddy had an electronic ignition conversion on it , and was much better than the old points ignition system a more reliable system.

Thanks for all your advice. Really appreciate it. Van doesn't have points as is already electronic, and I'm pretty sure that either it doesn't have inline fuel filter, or he's changed it. Will get my guy to look at the ignition timing thing. Will update if & when I solve it!!!

Thanks for all your advice. Really appreciate it. Van doesn't have points as is already electronic, and I'm pretty sure that either it doesn't have inline fuel filter, or he's changed it. Will get my guy to look at the ignition timing thing. Will update if & when I solve it!!!

i thought it would have had electronic ign ,if i remember correctly mine had . if all else fails sometimes the module breaks down under load ,so i have found a replacement if all else fails

TALBOT EXPRESS 1000 -1500 BUS 1.8 1983 TO 1990 IGNITION MODULE/AMPLIFIER UNIT IG | eBay

Hi I own a Talbot Express Autotrail and I have joined the Talbot Express Owners Club Forum and the guys on there seem to know about all the problems about these MHs and also know how to sort them out cheaply, hopes this helps.

no mater which vehicle you drive its always better to join an owners club .they will have most answers for any problem you may encounter ,as many on there will have encountered the same problem .i am on talk ford with having a mondeo .and the info is invaluable , saved me a wad of cash with the diy repair on the electronic turbo actuator .

no mater which vehicle you drive its always better to join an owners club .they will have most answers for any problem you may encounter ,as many on there will have encountered the same problem .i am on talk ford with having a mondeo .and the info is invaluable , saved me a wad of cash with the diy repair on the electronic turbo actuator .
I am also a retired mechanic but I am a member on the Fiat Forum, there is invaluable experience on these forums

Thanks again for your help guys. I have been on the talbot owners club forum, but struggle to navigate it sometimes!! will give it another go, but might try getting another module anyway.

I am also a retired mechanic but I am a member on the Fiat Forum, there is invaluable experience on these forums

Im a member too, blessed with a ducato.more recently A stilo......airbag warning light on common fault and yes loads of advice.

Actually may be woth the OP checking the Citroen C25 forum too,,,,would have been same engine.

Channa

I had a look at the ldv maxus owners club but everyone on there had topped themselves

i belive it electrical/ignition side , or more than likely auto advance/retard mechanism, could even be the bob weights have seized up in the distributor body a common problem really . unfortunately david ,finding the part for one of these vehicles in a uk scrappy would be like finding the needle in the haystack. most talbot express and there sister vehicles, except motor home camper van variants .disapeared from our roads and scrappys many years ago. they were never a popular works van over here even in there hey day our weather and tinworm killed them off rather quickly over here . i think the only guy that deals in these type of vehicles breakage now is no1 gear ,in devon or cornwall .he knows what to charge but allows owners of campers to overnight on his property whilst getting the parts they need .

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back