Hello, good evening and welcome....two newbies!

Johnsais

Free Member
OK, so it's morning but who's clock watching in these strange times?

Relatively new to motorhoming having only had 2 trips to NW Scotland in a hired coachbuilt over the past 2 years, but enjoyed it so much we are now looking to buying our own when this crisis calms down a bit. On our first ever trip on the NC500 in 2018 we started wildcamping on the second night and enjoyed it so much that we only spent 3 nights of the 2 weeks on campsites (but rest assured we found plenty of paid 'dump and fills' and followed the mantra of leaving nothing but footprints etc). We found spots by poring over OS maps in the evenings and then spending many often fruitless hours driving around looking for that elusive quiet place, and we found loads. We were completely unaware of this site then! Revisiting some of the same places last year was an eye opener as the spots we'd discovered previously were already taken (despite going at the same time of year) and we found a new pattern of behaviour, where people would head to their chosen night spot early in the day and park up.

Our reasons for wanting to be on our own aren't because we're antisocial (we're not!) but we assumed if you want company, go to a campsite. My wife has MS and is in a wheelchair permanently, and in our hired motorhome I had to do a lot of lifting and carrying, plus we couldn't get her into the toilet so had to bring our own commode. Hence nighttimes could be a bit noisy with a lot of banging about, cursing and giggling at the craziness of it all. BUT, she absolutely loved the freedom and wanted to buy a motorhome there and then, unfortunately we weren't in the position to do so, so hired for another year. We even took it on the ferry to Lewis but found the overcrowding in places like Lyskantyre depressing, and the terrible lack of disposal points (just one in Stornoway it seems) quite offputting, although it wouldn't stop us visiting the islands again. It's the perfect way for her to be able to see the country without leaving her chair and then enjoy a quiet night under the stars - all the more reason for an isolated spot!

Next year, when all this Covid nonsense has hopefully died down a bit (and yes, we have to shield as her immune system is not great, otherwise we'd be out there this year) and we are coming into a bit of money, we want to buy a disabled motorhome (probably from Coachbuilt) so that we can travel in style and my back can recover! No more clattering about assembling commodes in the middle of the night! Hopefully we can afford a decent used one, although with the huge rise in demand I suspect we might find it tricky.

Watching the forums on here it's become quite distressing however, noticing the overcrowding of potential stopovers, the increased numbers of campers and the general antipathy of the general public towards motorhomes fuelled by the media, it's making us think that maybe we're doing the wrong thing. I just want a quiet life, there is already enough doo-doo in our lives without having to square up to some ignorant knucklehead with a camper hatred. Hopefully when things return to some kind of normal or acceptance it will all calm down a bit.

Well, the introduction has rambled a bit, but that's the story. Looking forward to being a part of this community when we finally get our first motorhome!

Great intro, didn't ramble at all, experienced members, especially those that are disabled or have disabled family/friends are in a much better situation to advise on any questions now. This will greatly help when discussing your moho choices before purchasing as well as suitable camping locations.

Welcome

Welcome aboard John. Sorry to hear your wife suffers from MS (my late father was crippled by it too) its a right battle I know..
a lot of folks on this site are absolute nutters (like me)
However, most are sensible people. Hope you can get a MH that meets your wifes requirements

Hi mr&Mrs john. Welcome to the camp. It's stories of people like yourselves that the media should put out.(y)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back