Hello from the Scottish borders...

• Thread starter Deleted member 95622
  • Start date

Deleted member 95622

Just signed up so saying hello.
New to our campervan but not new to wild (tent) camping... Just decided to up the comfort level...
Also for a somewhat unexpected reason I find myself wild camping in it around the North Newcastle area every now and then, so maybe I'll post some of the places I find to overnight at...
Cheers, G.

Hi and welcome from N Ireland Co Antrim, we are in Glengormley about a mile or less north almost overlooking the motorway M2.
Only been to Newcastle once when I was about 14 almost 50 years back, a very nice place, but one thing from then sticks in my head was the number of disabled war veterans on the streets. :(

Just signed up so saying hello.
New to our campervan but not new to wild (tent) camping... Just decided to up the comfort level...
Also for a somewhat unexpected reason I find myself wild camping in it around the North Newcastle area every now and then, so maybe I'll post some of the places I find to overnight at...
Cheers, G.
welcome :) where abouts in the Borders?

welcome :) where abouts in the Borders?
Jedburgh. A town that seems to positively welcome wild campers... Judging by the free car parks and no "no overnight parking" signs, along with a cafe with a serving hatch right next to one car park and many cafes close to the others, not to mention 2 chippys within staggering distance... Maybe being on the A68 makes the difference? There is a "real" place too, should you desire...

It does make me wonder about other towns though...
Cheers, G.

Jedburgh. A town that seems to positively welcome wild campers... Judging by the free car parks and no "no overnight parking" signs
The main car park that campers seem to generally stop overnight DOES have "no overnight camping/parking" actually ;) I read it with my own eyes last time I was there (visiting my dentist).
I don't think it is ever enforced though.

, along with a cafe with a serving hatch right next to one car park and many cafes close to the others, not to mention 2 chippys within staggering distance... Maybe being on the A68 makes the difference? There is a "real" place too, should you desire...
The CC&C site over the stream, I guess you mean?

Cheers, G.
wonder about other towns in what way though? How welcoming they are to wild camping? dunno.

Last edited:
Welcome from Bedfordshire.

Lovely place you live in. I often use the A68 when travelling North.

Jedburgh. A town that seems to positively welcome wild campers... Judging by the free car parks and no "no overnight parking" signs, along with a cafe with a serving hatch right next to one car park and many cafes close to the others, not to mention 2 chippys within staggering distance... Maybe being on the A68 makes the difference? There is a "real" place too, should you desire...

Cheers, G.
Welcome along from East Lothian.

I've stayed overnight in that car park last year with no hassle. And I wasn't the only one. Not sure if I saw a sign or not.

Coming back to this ... So, it seems the town may not be openly as friendly as I first thought. That's the trouble with just walking through town - you don't see the car park entrances and therefore the signs to them! (Or at least I didn't) and just go with what you've been seeing for years.... However I did take time a few days back to properly check things out and - well - the usual "No overnight camping", etc.

So there are 3 proper car parks, the bigger 2 have those signs, the smaller one (next to the town hall) has nothing. The signs also say no horseboxes ... This is in the Scottish Borders where the largest horse festival in the world takes place every year... There are horseboxes parked up very frequently especially in the summer during festival time... Go figure.

The first car park (closest to Newcastle) has HGVs parked up every night. Campervans too (although as of late it's been a bit nippy oot, so not seen any..) There is a cafe next to it with a serving hatch facing the car park, although it's closed through the winter, but the cafe is open inside for takeaways (and a water stand-pipe next to the toilets) The other big car park often has campers at the bottom next to the A68 (where its level).

Here's the weird thing: Both these car parks have a time-limit on parking... 60 hours! (Although I know many locals use them as their regular car park as they have no parking spaces near their houses)

Does that make it right? Probably not, but I don't see it changing soon.

Cheers,

-G

I don't know if the sign has been changed since the last time I noticed it, but it is actually far more prescriptive than I realised :(!

Not only can you not cook, camp or sleep in your vehicle when in the carpark, or take your Caravan or Horsebox or even a Trailer into the carpark, but for the large majority of Motorhomers and Campervanners, you cannot even ENTER the carpark as there is a 3 tonne limit on users :oops:

1671115325028.png

Now usually there is always at least 1 motorhome parked in the carpark, so I have no idea how much these restrictions are enforced, but they are clearly stated, so if someone does ignore them and ends up with a PCN, they have no grounds to say they were not warned (this sign is right at the front at a perfectly viewable height).

Dont see anywhere that motorcaravans are not allowed, only thing it says is no sleeping, how they going to prove anyone is inside. :unsure:

I don't know if the sign has been changed since the last time I noticed it, but it is actually far more prescriptive than I realised :(!

Not only can you not cook, camp or sleep in your vehicle when in the carpark, or take your Caravan or Horsebox or even a Trailer into the carpark, but for the large majority of Motorhomers and Campervanners, you cannot even ENTER the carpark as there is a 3 tonne limit on users :oops:

View attachment 115938

Now usually there is always at least 1 motorhome parked in the carpark, so I have no idea how much these restrictions are enforced, but they are clearly stated, so if someone does ignore them and ends up with a PCN, they have no grounds to say they were not warned (this sign is right at the front at a perfectly viewable height).
And during festival time I've seen 7.5 tonne horseboxes...
I'd also need to check the one at the other end - 40 tonne HGVs use it regularly!

-G

Dont see anywhere that motorcaravans are not allowed, only thing it says is no sleeping, how they going to prove anyone is inside. :unsure:
Note the weight limit, Trev. Few motor caravans bigger than VW Transporters and that ilk are under 3 tonnes. My Motorcaravan is over that, your Motorcaravan is over that. I bet 95% of members of this forums will be over 3 tonnes in their Motor Caravan.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back