Heat shield for multifuel stove?

REC

Has anyone used these shields? Looking for something to shield the static multifuel stove ( when we get it !) and having trouble finding anything for less than the price of a cheapish stove. Putting non combustible cladding on the wall behind it and this would be " belt & braces". I know many wc's have stoves in their MH so looking to get the benefit of all the experience!
https://www.anevaystoves.com/product/heat-shield-single/?v=79cba1185463

Why not use sheet metal mounted on spacers away from the wall ?

There is plenty of sheet materials that could be repurposed ?

What about looking around a scrap metal merchant and see what is available ?

:wave:

Would a stainless steel splash back do? I have a piece 500mm x1000mm x1mm sat in my garage doing nothing you could have

exactly - i use thin sheet metal , ally , galvanised or plain steel i screw it to the walls and adjacent furniture using nuts for spacers to give a gap of 15mm or so. my stoves have always been close to nearby surfaces.the air gap is the important bit , but if you feel happier using fireproof materials as well, fine , but i don't bother. i'll get a pic of my daughter's stove which she often has glowing cherry red

Would a stainless steel splash back do? I have a piece 500mm x1000mm x1mm sat in my garage doing nothing you could have

I would of thought stainless steel would be perfect as it is a poor conductor of heat and being reflective would be a benefit as well.

some pics
P1010090.jpgP1010091.jpgP1010088.jpgP1010089.jpg

first pic shows how close to the seat the stove is
2nd pic shows the gap between wood and metal
third pic shows the silicone flashing , which is vital as it holds te flue central and stops rain . also shows wht i use for a cowl , esily made and not as massive [and dear] as the domestic ones i see on vans
last pic shows steel 'washer' i make to cover the hole in the ceiling,, which is 50mm all round bier than the flue

That's the sort of thing, commercial kitchens are clad in it,

I think secondhand stainless steel sheet is not that expensive ?

:wave:

Hi ya,
I made a ONE PIECE (Kinda Cabinet), Twin Walled, & Twin Harthed, Metal heat shield out of sheet Metal Sprayed with High Temperature paint that suited the space & Purpose for what I needed. I even Angled BOTH the heat shielding Tips to encourage the Heat to go Unempeeded Straight Down The Companion way in the center of the vehicle & narrow the ‘Line of site’ heat Path to other obstacles.
May not suit you though,
One of the secrets is AIR FLOW !.
I have ‘NESTY’ That’s my Multi Fuel Stove that nestles nicely between the Drivers & Passenger seats on ‘The Nest’ being my Motorhome & has given OUTSTANDING service & Comfort since fitted & Used as my Primary sorcery of heating for about a year or so now ..
The Stove fire Box is 150x150mm,,,it THEN has its 1st Air Gap of 20mm, It THEN has 25mm of Rockwool Slab Insulation fitted to the 1st Metal Heat shield,,,it THEN has its 2nd Air Gap At 20mm,,,it THEN has it’s 2nd Metal Heat shield,,, it THEN has its Final Air Gap of 80mm,,, BOTH heat Shields have Numerous LOW level ‘Cold Air Draw Holes’ drilled in them to encourage Cooling or rather the Movement of Hot air,,,The Harth is Of ‘Similar’ construction but without the last 80mm heat Air Gap.
The One Piece Flue has 25mm Rockwool Flue Insulation along its entire Hight, With this being Doubled to 50mm from half way up to through the Metal ceiling plate & then on through to the Silicone Roof Cone Extrusion.

64FD8F6F-A78C-48D6-94FD-5AD0B6EA6E1A.jpg

59995634-A852-4A44-8502-8F689835D4CC.jpg

2B51BC63-2C06-4C44-A519-D249579DBCE1.jpg

FBF1777A-BEDF-4D2C-B819-8B7E7C23E728.jpg

Found it hard to show the air gaps properly on the pictures, but hope you get the idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a small wood burner in my sunroom and I have clad the wall behind it in 3mm steel plate screwed to the wall this plate can get too hot to touch!

so I would want some serious insulation behind it if it was in a motorhome setting

I have a small wood burner in my sunroom and I have clad the wall behind it in 3mm steel plate screwed to the wall this plate can get too hot to touch!

so I would want some serious insulation behind it if it was in a motorhome setting

that's the purpose of the air gap. years ago i built a grill in a burger van and made the walls round it out of chipboard , screwed 15mm fireproof board to that, then covered it in aluminium sheet
the chipboard caught fire , and i learnt a lesson

Thanks everyone!

Thanks so much for all the very useful advice. We have put fitting the stove on hold till a bit later in the year, cost being a factor.... we have so much to do to the caravan and managed to stay nice and warm in the snow. Have clad the wall with Hardie backer board so it will be ready when we decide to do it. Just hope I can find the thread again when I need it!

That is really kind of you! If you still have it when we are coming up your way, I will pm you. As above, put this bit of the project on hold for a few months now:rolleyes:

That is really kind of you! If you still have it when we are coming up your way, I will pm you. As above, put this bit of the project on hold for a few months now:rolleyes:

That’s ok I doubt it will be going anywhere, it’s been sat in the garage for over a year.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back